Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Herbst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
My MacBook Pro is about 2 years old now, and has worked perfectly fine up until yesterday. Today however, it won't even boot.
When I press the power button, the hard drive and optical drive will make sounds as usual, and the small light will light up, but nothing else happens. If I keep the button pressed for a few seconds, the light will start flickering and then everything shuts off again. If I release the button at any time before that, it will shut down immediately.

I have already tried everything on this page: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1365
The battery is loaded, and I have tried starting the computer plugged in, not plugged in, and plugged in with the battery removed. I have also tried removing the RAM and putting it back in, or launching from the DVD, all to no effect.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

Herbst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
Thanks for the swift response.

I tried everything on the pages you linked me (again), but the same thing I described always happens, no matter which other buttons I press.

My MBP is a 15" MacBookPro4,1 , of the 2.5 GHz variety if I recall correctly. I do believe I still have warranty, unless I unknowingly voided it (does installing Linux void the warranty?).

I guess I will have to have it looked at by Apple.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
That MBP has the 8600M GT GPU, which is known to fail. If you don't have Apple Care (the prolonged warranty you can purchase within the first year of owning an MBP or any other Mac, to prolong the warranty from standard 12 months to 36 months), you should hope the 8600M GT is the culprit, as Apple has a replacement program for that GPU.
http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2377

Herbst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
I don't believe that's the problem, since the computer doesn't start at all, it's not just the video that fails. I do, however, have Apple Care, so that shouldn't really matter.

Thanks for your help. I'll have it looked at as soon as possible.

Herbst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 15, 2010
So, I brought my MBP to the nearest Apple store, and it turns out it was the logic board that had failed. I had it replaced and everything is working well again.
All costs were covered by the warranty.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
So, I brought my MBP to the nearest Apple store, and it turns out it was the logic board that had failed. I had it replaced and everything is working well again.
All costs were covered by the warranty.

Thats good. The logic board is one of the most expensive parts of the entire mac, so I'm glad that you had a warranty.

hapachris

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2006
Herbst,
could you kindly tell me how long the repair took?
My MacBook Pro has now the exact same symptoms.
It's my Mac I use at work, so right now I can't work.
So I'm pretty desperate right now. :(
I do have an appointment tomorrow afternoon at the Apple Store though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.