Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jewleeia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
My 2.5 yr old loves my new iphone 4, and so do I therefore I am seriously considering buying her an ipod touch so my phone doesn't get destroyed. Thinking about a bare bones, 1st generation 8gig. About what should one cost off Ebay, and will I have any problems loading a 1st gen. w/ new game apps, movies for her? I guess I am a little worried that a 1st gen won't like syncing with my current itunes. Thanks!

SlovakApple

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
In the heart of Europe
I would not worry about movies and other stuff. The only thing which could cause problems is the apps. Various apps need at least some updated firmware (3.1.3 or 4.x.x etc.). I am not sure what version of the software can you load on a 1st gen touch. Maybe someone who is more educated in this area could add some info.

Jewleeia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
I would not worry about movies and other stuff. The only thing which could cause problems is the apps. Various apps need at least some updated firmware (3.1.3 or 4.x.x etc.). I am not sure what version of the software can you load on a 1st gen touch. Maybe someone who is more educated in this area could add some info.

Thanks, that is the info I am looking for. I will want to load toddler apps for her. Can anyone help me with what versions of firmware can be loaded on a 1st gen.

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
You can't load iOS firmware 4.0 on a first gen touch cause its unsupported so I think the highest you can get is 3.3... not sure about that but i know for sure you can't load 4.0 on it. However you may be able to buy a second gen cheaper after the release of the new batch of iPods in September, I suggest waiting till then since prices on all iPods will drop then. Keep your eye out for deals.

Maybe you could load more current apps on a first gen touch by jailbreaking, it voids your warranty but on a first gen touch that wouldn't matter.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Oregon
The iPod touch 1G is a bit outdated, but what does a toddler care? You can load almost all the apps currently in the app store that still work for iOS 3, also you can watch movies, music, photos, and all the other things. However in probably a year or so the touch will be really outdated and you wont really be able to update it and put apps on it because they wont be supported on iOS 3. If you want to get a 1G 8GB touch they go for about $80-$120 used. I would look on craigslist first, and eBay as the last resort. If you want to get a better product, buy a refurbished 2G 8GB touch on Apple.com for $149.

Code.Red

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2010
Yes, keep in mind that iOS 4 is not supported on the 1st gen, and apps are slowly moving to supporting iOS 4 only.

Also, the 1st gen touch doesn't have a speaker, so keep that in mind. A 2nd gen 8gb shouldn't be that much more expensive so I would go with that.

Peterson8765

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2010
Oregon
Yeah I would wait a month until Apple releases the new touches, and then buy a refurbished iPod touch 2G 8GB for a lower price, since it is $149 now it will probably be about $129.

Jewleeia

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 8, 2010
Perfect, Thank-you! That is exactly the information I needed. I will wait until after Sept to see how the prices drop. I had no idea there isn't a speaker...and sound is very important!

Mr Slippy IV

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2010
Vail, AZ
Wait for the next generation to come out. You won't regret it. As for the toddler's touch:

• Use Parental Controls
  • Bookmark sites for him so he knows where to go on the web
  • Get a case and screen protector (Anything switcheasy is recommended, comes with both)
  • Get him a decent size touch. 8GB might not be enough, especially if you plan on loading videos on the device

Also, how used to using a computer is he?

weenerdog

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2007
Am I the only one who finds it slightly disturbing that you are even considering purchasing an ipod touch for a 2.5 year old child?? That brings new meaning to the word "spoilt". If you feel uneasy about the safety of your iPhone in the hands of your toddler then take it off him/her and be done with it. Kids that age shouldn't own electronic devices like that... It's messed up

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
Am I the only one who finds it slightly disturbing that you are even considering purchasing an ipod touch for a 2.5 year old child?? That brings new meaning to the word "spoilt". If you feel uneasy about the safety of your iPhone in the hands of your toddler then take it off him/her and be done with it. Kids that age shouldn't own electronic devices like that... It's messed up

no, i think a two year old should be out and around and developing basic skills for interaction etc. A little toddler has no place using gadgets just yet. maybe when he/she is older, maybe 8 years old. Of course i'm not the parent so OP, do whatever you wish. If you do end up getting a touch, get a 2g.

tubemonkey

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2009

There's nothing wrong with it. It's a great way to expand a child's development. My son frequently uses his touch with his 1-1/2 yo son. There are numerous educational apps for children. My grandson loves the animal apps where he can associate the name, pictures, videos, and sounds for each animal.

Kudos to the OP. It's a great idea and I'm behind you 100%.

bagprincess

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
Go for 16gb

My 4 year old uses a first gen Iphone as an iPod and 8 gb isn't much when u have movies and tv progs loaded on. It's so easy to shop in peace if u can pull out ur childs favourite movie or play with apps.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.

No, you're not the only one, I'm in the same boat. Kids of that age should rather be playing with Lego (Duplo) bricks.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
No, you're not the only one, I'm in the same boat. Kids of that age should rather be playing with Lego (Duplo) bricks.

Why can't they play with regular toys and the iPod Touch? My daughter who is now 4 has had an iPod touch since she was about 2 1/2. She loves to play with the iPod touch but spends most of her time playing with her toys. The iPod Touch is a great learning tool. By 3 1/2 she was doing 1st Grade level math and reading. Sure she may have done this without her learning apps, but they sure didnt hurt.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
Be very careful about headphones. Young ears are extremely sensitive and easily damaged with headphones, and the child will not realize it is too loud or that it can cause permanent hearing loss. Even many adults damage their hearing this way. Probably safest not to let them use headphones at all at that age.

santos79

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2009
Why can't they play with regular toys and the iPod Touch? My daughter who is now 4 has had an iPod touch since she was about 2 1/2. She loves to play with the iPod touch but spends most of her time playing with her toys. The iPod Touch is a great learning tool. By 3 1/2 she was doing 1st Grade level math and reading. Sure she may have done this without her learning apps, but they sure didnt hurt.

The problem is that 2-3 year-olds tend to still put things in their mouths very often. And they also like to throw things. If you are seriously considering giving your 2 1/2-year-old her own ipod touch, I hope you are not planning on leaving her alone with it. My 2-year-old son is very interested in my iphone too, but I would never let him walk off with it.

Also, to the OP: do you really think your daughter will lose interest in your iphone just because you buy her an ipod touch? She wants to use what you are using and if sees you with your iphone, she'll want to use it too.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio

There's nothing wrong with it. It's a great way to expand a child's development. My son frequently uses his touch with his 1-1/2 yo son. There are numerous educational apps for children. My grandson loves the animal apps where he can associate the name, pictures, videos, and sounds for each animal.

Lots of people on both sides of this debate, I see. My 2 cents, like it matters: It really depends on the situation. My daughter (elementary school age) likes playing with my wife's touch and wants one for herself. However, we feel that she's not responsible enough yet to have her own.

That's not to say she doesn't have gadgets, though. For a music player, she has a Sansa Shaker, which I recommend if you can find one (they're now discontinued). It uses a standard SD card, has two headphone jacks built in, and has a small yet sufficiently loud external speaker for impromptu dance parties.

Be very careful about headphones. Young ears are extremely sensitive and easily damaged with headphones, and the child will not realize it is too loud or that it can cause permanent hearing loss. Even many adults damage their hearing this way. Probably safest not to let them use headphones at all at that age.

The risk of hearing loss cannot be understated. There is little excuse not to provide protection in some form, as there are headphones and earbuds readily available that are specifically designed to mitigate that risk by attenuating the signal and reducing overall dB levels. On top of that, all current-model iPods with screens (don't know about shuffles) have a Volume Limit function; I've activated it on both my nanos to protect my own ears.

pound4pound30

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2009
one thing to keep in mind is the 1st gen does not have a speaker so your 2 year old will have to wear headphones to hear the sounds....just a thing to keep in mind because kids like to hear those noises.

(friends 2 year old loves his but wouldn't as much if he couldn't hear the noises.)

Outrun1986

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2010
Yeah get the 2nd gen with the speaker and since your toddler will probably not be listening to music by herself she probably won't even need headphones. But they do sell headphones that are safe for kids if you need them.

Also I think its fine to use this, kids who are 2-3 years old watch an awful lot of TV, which is worse for the brain than using an educational app. Most of the toddlers I know were raised on the TV. In fact I personally think apple has this market cornered nicely, the Wii and DS systems while marketed to kids, don't have very many games that appeal to toddlers and very young children while the iPod has many. Its better than playing regular video games at 2-3 which is what a lot of parents let their kids do even if they don't really know how to.

soph

macrumors regular
May 3, 2010
I've got myself a current iPod touch with the intention of letting my kids (which are admittedly no toddlers anymore) use it, too. However, it's understood it doesn't live in their room.

It works out very well for skypeing, playing card games or mahjongg and a surprisingly huge percentage of creativity with the voice memo and sending their pieces of home-made music to relatives. And, yes, videos in times of boredoms and longish waits.

They got their own iPod nanos when they were 6 years old, and while those are somewhat more grimy than I'd wish my personal gadgets to feel they are still cherished, looked-after well and fully functional.

And I have never let my kids get educated (or rather entertained/looked after) by tv, their daily consumption went from 10mins per day at age 2 to 0.5 to 2 hours a day (depending on weekdays or weekends/vacation) now at 9 years old. However, I know not many parents know or care about the impact of tv on their little kids.

EllieV

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2010
Let the kids play a few educational apps for like 30 mins, but don't let it be THEIR touch. Kids shouldn't own devices like that until 5th grade, nah 6th. Just wait until middle school.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.