Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scarfizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
i need to rotate a hd video that i shot on my iphone 4. it plays in portrait mode an i need it in landscape to up load it to youtube but i do not want to lose any video quality in rotating it. i have Sony Vegas 9 so please some one help me an im on a pc

spice weasel

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2003
If you shot it in portrait then you're out of luck. You can either rotate it 90 degrees and watch it sideways, or you can crop it so that you fill a landscape frame with a selected portion of the portrait frame you shot. But this is going to reduce picture quality because you are effectively digitally zooming. I don't know how to do this with Vegas.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
If you shot it in portrait then you're out of luck. You can either rotate it 90 degrees and watch it sideways, or you can crop it so that you fill a landscape frame with a selected portion of the portrait frame you shot. But this is going to reduce picture quality because you are effectively digitally zooming. I don't know how to do this with Vegas.
cant you just scale it up in Vegas? Also fine if your shooting for DVD format. The original iPhone 4 clip is technically 1280x720 in landscape (so reverse that for potrait).
Take that into account that DVD is 720x480 Non-Square Pixels then you shouldnt lose too much.
Well its going to DVD, you lose no matter what :p
LOL!

jwheeler

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2010
maybe he means he started the the video before the iphone registered the rotation to landscape. I have a few videos on my iphone that play sideways for this reason.

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
maybe he means he started the the video before the iphone registered the rotation to landscape. I have a few videos on my iphone that play sideways for this reason.
yes that maybe but can still be edited using any decent video editor.

scarfizzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010

yea this is what happened. if i hold it up right it plays in landscape mode but if i hold it side ways it plays in portrait

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
yea this is what happened. if i hold it up right it plays in landscape mode but if i hold it side ways it plays in portrait
well that I cant comment but again if your talking Vegas or any NLE for that matter, then just follow the steps above :)

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Mind sharing how you fixed this?

I recorded my buddy and his wife dancing.. And i was stupid and rotated the video thinking it will be fine on the computer.

Well turns out the first minute is portrait mode, but then i flipped it landscape.. OR vice versa i dont even know anymore.

Im opened the video in iMovie but now the aspect ratio is all screwed up. I did manage to rotate the video its the right orientation just the aspects are screwed...

Anything i can do?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Mind sharing how you fixed this?

I recorded my buddy and his wife dancing.. And i was stupid and rotated the video thinking it will be fine on the computer.

Well turns out the first minute is portrait mode, but then i flipped it landscape.. OR vice versa i dont even know anymore.

Im opened the video in iMovie but now the aspect ratio is all screwed up. I did manage to rotate the video its the right orientation just the aspects are screwed...

Anything i can do?
Id have fun with that in After Effects but can also be done in Final Cut. Id create a white border a la polaroid then rotate the video using 3D camera or just scaling/rotate/position so it accomodates the video aspect change.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Id have fun with that in After Effects but can also be done in Final Cut. Id create a white border a la polaroid then rotate the video using 3D camera or just scaling/rotate/position so it accomodates the video aspect change.

Think you can elaborate a bit more on that? So iMovie cant do anything?

mBox

macrumors 68020
Jun 26, 2002
Think you can elaborate a bit more on that? So iMovie cant do anything?
Not sure about iMovie, I guess I can fire it up and test but im reffering to the fact that your video changes in aspect due to camera roll. We sometimes get video like this (Im a Motion Designer/3D Artist) and would have to cheat the screen size so that you cant see it getting cut off.
You then have to play with it in software to get it to look decent.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
Not sure about iMovie, I guess I can fire it up and test but im reffering to the fact that your video changes in aspect due to camera roll. We sometimes get video like this (Im a Motion Designer/3D Artist) and would have to cheat the screen size so that you cant see it getting cut off.
You then have to play with it in software to get it to look decent.

Ah i see, so saying i should get Final Cut. I just dont want to get over my head with this haha

I just wanted to make it look presentable and at least in the right orientation lol

MacinTek

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2007
Fallbrook, CA
iMovie can rotate video

You can rotate the video using iMovie. You have activate the crop mode and in the preview pane, click on one of the rotate indicators.
:D

Attachments

• Screen shot 2010-10-06 at 11.10.47 PM.png
    Screen shot 2010-10-06 at 11.10.47 PM.png
    332.4 KB · Views: 982

Flason

macrumors newbie
Mar 17, 2011
Simple: Use the free Handbrake application

http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php

Once you move the movie from your iPhone to your computer, find the file. Launch Handbrake then open the file with Handbrake (you need to navigate to the file within the Handbrake > open file dialogue.

If you are good, Handbrake will open the file IN LANDSCAPE mode

Now, choose the Output settings (MP4 file works great) and hit the START icon. The corrected, landscape oriented, movie will appear on your desktop. Open with QuickTime to confirm (or QuickView) then delete the old file.

You can now sync the corrected video back to iPhone with iPhoto.

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
I used iMovies Crop and rotation on my videos, I end up shooting a lot of movies upside down on my goPro (it has a setting to switch it, I just do it in iMovie).

waysyinaction

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2012
Try double tapping the home button and slide the dock to the right and select the lock orientation button. This will make the video play in the correct orientation. I'd have have to say something isn't right with this. Try this and its going to work perfectly......

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.