Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newtoiphonesdk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Sorry, I couldn't think of a better Title for this. I am making an app to display a different proverb every day. What would be the best way to go about doing this?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
What book are you learning from? Be specific.

How far through the book are you? Which view classes are you familiar with?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
What tutorials? Be specific: give URLs.
How far did you get through them? Again, be specific.

Did you intentionally choose this haphazard approach to learning, or is there some other constraint you haven't stated yet, like you can't afford a book?

newtoiphonesdk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
How I choose to learn is not your concern. I have no urls for tutorials. Just learned what I needed as I went along.

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
How I choose to learn is not your concern. I have no urls for tutorials. Just learned what I needed as I went along.

Since you're obviously the expert, I'll leave it to you to assess your knowledge shortcomings, and then teach yourself the fundamentals needed in order to make sense of the links I posted earlier.

Luke Redpath

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Colchester, UK
Thanks for proving my point

Helping you to help yourself is far more productive in the long run than spoon feeding you information. Throwing your toys out of the pram just because people aren't here to hold your hands isn't going to exactly make people want to help is it? There is only one person in this thread acting like a douche.

Luke Redpath

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Colchester, UK
Sending me links to an info page about textview textfield and labels helps 0%

I find that the quality/usefulness of answers is generally directly proportional to the quality of the original question. Garbage in, garbage out as it were.

I have already suggested you step back and learn programming basics before delving deeper. I highly recommend Learn Programming by The Pragmatic Programmers. It uses the Ruby programng language and is a great intro to progamming for beginners.

http://pragprog.com/titles/ltp2/learn-to-program-2nd-edition

I also suggest that if you want people to help you in the future, you learn how to ask better, more detailed and focussed questions, not to dismiss advice when its given (who is the beginner here?) and drop the attitude.

newtoiphonesdk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
I suggest y'all drop the uppity attitude. My attitude started after the method in which I am learning was ridiculed and was accused of being either too poor or stupid to get a book

Luke Redpath

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2007
Colchester, UK
I suggest y'all drop the uppity attitude. My attitude started after the method in which I am learning was ridiculed and was accused of being either too poor or stupid to get a book

Give me a break. :rolleyes:

I've tried to point you in the right direction. I suggest you go and find some other mugs to spoon feed you information, if you think that will help you learn.

newtoiphonesdk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
What I have been "spoon fed" has greatly helped me I have learned from it and have not hesitated to pass that on to others that have asked. I feel when someone asks what 2+2 is it is better to say 4 than to ridicule them for their stupid question or tell them where they can google the question or where they can buy a calculator

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green

I made no such accusation or ridicule. I was simply trying to assess what your understanding of the fundamentals was by asking for a reference.

The reason the links I gave were 0% help is because you don't have a sufficient grasp on the fundamentals. But that's just my opinion, and I obviously don't know nearly enough about programming to help you.

Since you seem so determined to do this your own way, I won't stand in your way.

newtoiphonesdk

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
What tutorials? Be specific: give URLs.
How far did you get through them? Again, be specific.

Did you intentionally choose this haphazard approach to learning, or is there some other constraint you haven't stated yet, like you can't afford a book?

That last part seems pretty ridiculing to me

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
That last part seems pretty ridiculing to me

Which part, specifically?

The word "haphazard" means "lacking any obvious principle of organization", which seems accurate to me, because I was unable to discern any principle that organized your approach, and you didn't provide one.

The word "intentional" is apt. It's the opposite of "accidental". Some people do intentionally work in a haphazard way. Others end up there by accident, sometimes despite their opposite intent.

The phrase "or is there some other constraint you haven't stated yet, like you can't afford a book?" is simply asking whether there is an unstated constraint. The word "like" is used to introduce a hypothetical that is not uncommon among students: insufficient free cash to buy books.

EDITED TO ADD:
I feel when someone asks what 2+2 is it is better to say 4 than to ridicule them for their stupid question or tell them where they can google the question or where they can buy a calculator

What makes you think your question can be answered as simply as 2+2=4? If you don't understand the fundamentals of arithmetic, then the answer "4" won't help you learn how to perform arithmetic by yourself.

Also notice that no one in this thread has ever told you to google anything. I gave specific links to specific classes.

Every one of the classes I linked to is used for displaying text. Every one of them has a readwrite text property. If you can't put those things together to come up with a way to change a view to show different texts, then that seems to be evidence you don't have an adequate grasp of the fundamentals. And since you haven't listed any of the tutorials or references you used to learn the fundamentals, there's no way to offer specific advice on what you should study.

Anne R. Kist

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
...in the UK
I feel when someone asks what 2+2 is it is better to say 4 than to ridicule them for their stupid question or tell them where they can google the question or where they can buy a calculator
Perhaps. But if you get a calculator and learn how to use it, you might not need to come back and ask "Okay, next question: what is 2+3?" You now have the tools and know-how to figure out the answer yourself.

Don't be a Help Vampire.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.