Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

114122-ipad_mini_mockup.jpg
IDG News translates a new Economic Daily News report that claims a 7" iPad will indeed be launched by Christmas of this year. The Economic Daily reports that Taiwanese companies have won a number of component contracts for the iPad 2. Chimei Innolux will supply 7-inch LCD screens, which use the same IPS (in-plane switching) technology found in the original iPad, which improves viewing angles and color on LCD screens. Touchscreen technology for the screens will come from Cando Corporation, the report says.While talk of a 7" iPad has been circulating for some time, it has recently regained the spotlight with a report from iLounge earlier this month. iLounge offered the above mock-up and suggested the 7" iPad would launch later this year or early next. Meanwhile, Digitimes also reported on the likelihood a 7" iPad just last week.

The currently shipping 9.7" iPad has been seen as a huge success selling 3.27 million units during the first quarter of sales.

Article Link: 7-Inch iPad to Launch By Christmas?

johnhmeyer123

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2006
If Apple doesn't use a Retina display, us developers could use the interfaces for the iPhone 4 to fit this screen. If you're a developer, you can change the iPhone simulator to the iPhone 4, and see it's screen size based on the resolution difference....Very interesting.

This would be a great way to compete directly with the nook and kindle to serve as a smaller, more portable reading device.

rowanmwilliams

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2007
Sydney, Australia
I would love for this to be true. Even better price point!

How would this affect app's that fit the 9" something screen? Would it scale down correctly or would it be yet another size the developer have to account for?

Schtumple

macrumors 601
Jun 13, 2007
benkadams.com
If it was a fair amount cheaper it would be a pretty sick alternative to the iPad, I guess the iPad is going to go the way of the laptop, multiple screen sizes etc.

bocomo

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
New York
i guess the 7" would work for some, but i'm going to stick with the 9"

seems like just the right size for me

perhaps they are looking to eat into sales of cheaper eReaders

lozpop

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2006
A 7-inch iPad could be a good move, but I really hope that Apple won't launch a new 9.7" iPad with more RAM and a faster processor after 5-6 months after the first iPad.

It would be a kick in the ass of millions of people.

boncellis

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2006
Salt Lake City
If I remember correctly, I think iLounge had this first. They have been pretty reliable on this kind of stuff when they hear something.

I think it was just a matter of time before Apple offered another version. I just hope they start it at $399.

goinskiing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Meridian, ID
These rumors are starting to feel like the rumors from last year and the iPod Touch camera. The evidence was mounting then as well. A 7" would be cool I admit, but I don't see that coming so hot on the heels of the original release 9" which I may add is doing superb. I think, for me anyways, I like the real estate of the 9". As far as retina display, I think that should be on the list of annoying buzz phrases of 2010. Yeah the retina display is amazing, but good grief, I'm real tired of hearing about it in the forums ad nauseum.

/rant :rolleyes:

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Believable as I can see it aimed at those considering the cheaper e-reader devices for reading.

robodude666

macrumors member
May 12, 2008
Isn't Chimei the company who was responsible for the Samsung 226BW "C" Panel back in the day? Have they improved their manufacturing since ~2007? I didn't know they produce any IPS panels... Don't most good IPS panels come from LG?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Why would anyone want a smaller one?

If you want smaller, get a iPod Touch
For starters, a 7" iPad would compete more directly with a well-established eReader market, so we know there is a demand for smaller tablet devices. Also, it would likely be less expensive, which would definitely spur sales. The high entry price of the iPad has been a well documented inhibitor of many sales. Let's not forget that over forty percent of iPad buyers have a self-reported income of over $100,000. If Apple really wants to bring this product category to the masses, they will need to make it cheaper. A smaller, less pricey model would proceed down the correct path. That's one reason why the iPod mini/nano is the best selling model in the iPod lineup.

The iPod touch would not be the same as using a slightly smaller iPad. I own the iPod touch and I use an iPad at work. They are different beasts because of the screen size.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Makes sense to me. Turn the iPad market into another iPod market:

• The original iPad (iPod)
  • 7" iPad (iPod nano)
  • Some special, larger iPad in the future (iPod touch)

When you create a multi-product line at various price points, you compete well against all competition.

arctic

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2008
I think this will be a wise move for Apple since I can imagine this will be priced competitively. Kinda like the poor man's 9.7" iPad. As someone mentioned, this will eat the sales of the cheaper eReaders like the Nook and Kindle.

D0rk

macrumors member
May 23, 2009
Eh, I would only like this if it were super cheap.

Wouldn't this be a nightmare for app developers if the resolution is different from the iPhone 4 or current iPad?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Why would anyone want a smaller one?

If you want smaller, get a iPod Touch

I think this is more Apple's way of making iPads more available. If they keep a 1024x768 IPS display for this device they free themselves of the supply chain constraints for the 10" screen which has been reported as the main limiting factor to how many iPads they can make (and thus sell).

Plus, if they can sell it for $100-$150 cheaper they will make it more readily available to all.

B

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Is it going to be a slate moment for all the knockoff makers?

Wouldn't this be a nightmare for app developers if the resolution is different from the iPhone 4 or current iPad?

Likely to be the same.

johnhmeyer123

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2006

NOT at all! I'm a developer, see my first post on the top.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
The high entry price of the iPad has been a well documented inhibitor of many sales.

Well I agree with your post, I'm curious about this statement. Since Apple still cannot make iPads fast enough to keep up with sales, do you mean we hear anecdotally on these boards about people saying the iPad costs too much? I don't see how it could show up in sales figures since they can't keep them in stock.

Nishi100

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2010
If the 7 inch iPad has a:
  • Front facing camera
  • More RAM
  • Faster Processor
  • Bigger Hard Drive
  • Back facing camera (don't mind if it does or doesn't)
  • A flash (if it has a back facing camera)
  • Gyroscope
Then I'm getting it.

EvanAgee

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2004
DFW Texas
I think it's almost a given that they'll release a model that can support full 1080p video. I'm not sure why they're making a smaller version though, seems to get into the territory of the iPod Touch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.