Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

120644-Liquidmetal_SIM_Pin_500.jpg

Cult of Mac revealed yesterday that Apple had already started testing the manufacturing capabilities of Liquid Metal for one small component of the iPhone 3G -- the SIM eject tool. Atakan Peker the co-inventor of the alloy recognized the metal immediately when he saw it:
"That's my metal," he said. "I recognized it immediately. Take it from an expert, that's Liquidmetal."
Apple reportedly sourced the part from Liquidmetal Technologies as a test of the company's manufacturing capabilities. Not all the iPhone 3Gs shipped with the Liquidmetal SIM tool. European iPhone 3Gs were said to have shipped with regular steel pins.

Meanwhile, other former LiquidMetal Technology executives have speculated that Apple will be building their next iPhone out of the alloy.
“I think they’re going to make the iPhone out of it,” said Dr. Jan Schroers, the former director of research at Liquidmetal Technologies, the first company to commercially develop the space-age technology. ”It’s quite obvious from what Liquidmetal has done in the past and what the technology is capable of.”
According to Schroers, Apple could create intricate seamless enclosures by blow-molding the melted alloy like glass. The resultant structure could be thinner and stronger than existing Apple hardware enclosures.

Article Link: Liquid Metal Used in iPhone 3G SIM Tool, Next iPhone Too?

MarximusMG

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2009
Denver
Very interesting! Would the next revision of the iPhone really incorporate this as a major part of the design? I'd think it would take longer before we saw it as the major metal that is used in it. But we'll see! :)

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
IMO - The iPhone is thin enough!

Any thinner and it will feel too flimsy in the hand, even if it is structurally rigid.

ARF900

macrumors 65816
Oct 30, 2009
I had one of these with my 3g, still have it, have used it before.

Eddyisgreat

macrumors 601
Oct 24, 2007
"That's my metal," he said. "I recognized it immediately. Take it from an expert, that's Liquidmetal."

dang bro it's just an apple designed paperclip :D

anywho well if that's apparently it then...not bad work. I really couldn't tell a difference but then again I never had to take out the sim card.

hlfway2anywhere

Cancelled
Jul 15, 2006
if thats the crap they made the SIM removal tool out of, then it's flimsy and i wouldn't want something built from it. Maybe internals, but not externals.

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
Makes sense. Apple is already creating Star Trek devices, might as well use Star Trek technology to make them.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
So is the iPhone 4's SIM eject tool LIquid Metal? Or do we have to smelt it down and see how much it bounces in a glass tube?

iZac

macrumors 68030
Apr 28, 2003
UK
Baby steps, Apple :)

I dont know how much this is about making the device much thinner, but more about making it more structurally rigid and resilient to the day-to-day buffeting that a phone gets.

It was suggested that this metal reflects rather than absorbs considerably more kinetic energy than materials like aluminium and stainless steel, would that suggest that it would carry less shockwaves though the phone, to more likely protect that delicate lump of glass wedged inside?

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
shelf life of iPhone is at the max is 3 years (considering software updates for original iPhone) what is the point of making near unbreakable iPhones?

looks cool, does it have purpose?

may be use in macbook/macbookpros

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Yeah, need to find mine to see if I got that.

shelf life of iPhone is at the max is 3 years (considering software updates for original iPhone) what is the point of making near unbreakable iPhones?

looks cool, does it have purpose?

may be use in macbook/macbookpros

There are all the an*l types that can't take any sign of use. OMG it has a scratch that I can see under a microscope, my life is ruined!

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
The metal's name is just so cool-- how can this thread not have more comments? Here's me adding to it. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.