Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steveo47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
Like an idiot i forgot to bring my express and now dont have wifi in my hotel room, but the laptop i brought (a dell) has bluetooth. so is it possible to connect an unjailbroken iphone 4 with the newest firmware to my dell, and use internet over the bluetooth?

To clarify, I HAVE an internet connect on my laptop, and i want to be able to connect my iphone ober bluetooth, to my dell inorder to use the internet on my iphone.

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
unless u have tethering plan with your carrier, or if u have the handylight app from a month ago or netscape app from 2 years ago there is no way

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
No, but it depends on what you're doing.

If you want to surf the web on your laptop, you're out of luck.

But if you want to e-mail a file from your laptop, get an app like 'Files' and use it to transfer the file to the iPhone over USB through iTunes. Then you can e-mail the file from the phone.

So the answer is 'no' but there are some solutions to specific problems.

mackmgg

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
No, but it depends on what you're doing.

If you want to surf the web on your laptop, you're out of luck.

But if you want to e-mail a file from your laptop, get an app like 'Files' and use it to transfer the file to the iPhone over USB through iTunes. Then you can e-mail the file from the phone.

So the answer is 'no' but there are some solutions to specific problems.

Actually, you can surf they web on your laptop. Just go to Settings > Network > Internet Tethering, and turn it on. You may have to pay depending on the carrier

Steveo47

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 18, 2010
no no, i have internet on my laptop, but i want to be able to use it on my iphone, so am i able to connect my laptop with internet, to my iphone in onrder to use it on my iphone? Also my iphone is from canada so i do have tethering (which isnt what i wanna do)

nunes013

macrumors 65816
May 24, 2010
Connecticut
oh, i misread, sorry, if you have a mac under airport on the status bar you can create a wireless network, i dont know if will use the internet you already have and send it to other devices, thats all i know you can do, ill research it a little and get back if i find anything

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
On mac's you can share a wired internet connection through the wireless card. Your wireless card become an access point broadcasting the signal for whatever you want to connect to it. I am not sure if you can do this on a dell.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
oh, i misread, sorry, if you have a mac under airport on the status bar you can create a wireless network, i dont know if will use the internet you already have and send it to other devices, thats all i know you can do, ill research it a little and get back if i find anything

Yes, the Mac will do this but I don't know about the Dell.

But this is the same approach I'd look into with that computer. See if Windows can create a Wifi network and then share the internet from ethernet over wifi. I have no clue if the Dell can do that, but I'd be looking into that instead of Bluetooth. The iPhone has no ability to get internet from a bluetooth connection, that I'm sure of.

billycuth

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2010
Possible stupid question alert...

I was crafty enough to get my hands on the handylight app before apple pulled it, even though I didn't have my phone yet. What I didn't do very well before the purchase (I knew it was going to get yanked from the app store) is research how or if you can use it with a PC (and not a mac). Does anyone know where I can find instructions for a PC? I did a search here and google, but it's not clear if it is even possible to do it on a PC. Help appreciated. I put this here because I didn't think it warranted its own thread.

billycuth

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2010
why do you wanna use the internet on the phone when u have a computer right there??

exactly - so when you are in a 3G area, but not a hotspot and you have both your iphone and laptop it would be nice to use that 3G to fire up the laptop and use the internet.

that's the point of tethering, duh.

himni

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2009
I don't know if you can do what you want using a bluetooth connection but if you follow the directions given above you can use the wifi in your laptop to use the laptop's internet on your iPhone.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
see http://connectify.me/ if you want to turn your windows 7 machine into a wifi hotspot and then connect from the iphone to the laptop and then to the net.

If you don't have windows 7 then there's probably other solutions on the net.

I don't know if you can do what you want using a bluetooth connection but if you follow the directions given above you can use the wifi in your laptop to use the laptop's internet on your iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.