Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
Check it out. Just released. It can act as a stand, but it seems better served as a carry case to me.

:D Yes I ordered it....another case to the pile I already own.

BookBook_iPad_Book_gallerymain.jpg

BookBook_iPad_Movie_gallerymain.jpg

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
What Im surprised about and what deters me from trying it out, is that it seems to lack the ability for typing. At least from a quick look at the features unless I missed it.

But if that's the case, then I think twelve south should have included a pocket within, maybe along the spine, to store their compass. Seems like a no brainer and a nice package deal, but that's just me.

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
But if that's the case, then I think twelve south should have included a pocket within, maybe along the spine, to store their compass. Seems like a no brainer and a nice package deal, but that's just me.

That didn't dawn on me at first, but your right, that would have been ideal especially considering how long this has been in the works.

IrishVixen

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
Love the idea...but the elastics are a huge turnoff, and without a typing position, it's a no go.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
Love the idea...but the elastics are a huge turnoff, and without a typing position, it's a no go.

Ditto that. I love the way it looks but I definitely don't like the elastic/leather bands for holding the iPad and I'm not a fan of zipper cases either. Also, it doesn't look like it would be easy to fold the cover back on itself to hold the iPad with one hand, which I can easily do with my DODOcase.

GaresTaylan

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2009

Agreed. I have been waiting for this for quite some time. The lack of a typing position kills it for me. I have the Apple case and its very easy to swing it around and go straight into a landscape/typing position.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
They certainly failed here when they did not consider people who put the iPad on any surface and type.

Good going TwelveSouth.

nbuubu

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
I really wanted to like this case, but the elastic just kills it for me. If they had 4 leather corners like the bottom 2 it'd be a definite sale, but the elastic is a Meh Calzone filled with Meh Sauce.

rydenfan

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2007
I have been waiting and waiting for this case but the execution falls flat for me, I think I might pass.

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
So you may be able to type with it after all...

Actually, you can type quite comfortably on your iPad in landscape mode in the BookBook. *By simply adjusting the cord, the angle can range from about 25-degrees to about 85-degrees. *And if you feel uncomfortable typing at 25-degrees, the covers of the iPad can be unfolded so the iPad can be a flat 0-degree angle or even a 10-degree angle. *Within the next day or two we'll be posting pictures on the website (BookBook for iPad FAQ page) to show you how this is done.

Cheers!
Twelve South Support

Initially, I asked about the case not having a form of storage for a compass and whether typing using their case was possible. Why this wasn't addressed at first, hmm.

Trapped Wind

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2010
San Francisco
I'm either going with this or a Vaja. I have the Apple case now and hate it. Taking your iPad out is a total pain and you cant use any charging mount at all.

jackwins

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2008
I'm either going with this or a Vaja. I have the Apple case now and hate it. Taking your iPad out is a total pain and you cant use any charging mount at all.

I cant speak for this case, but I have the Vaja Agenda and I love it!!! At the same time I like the look of this case, but like a lot of others dont like the elastic strap inside. Why didnt they do 3 leather straps and 1 elastic strap in the corners? Im still thinking about getting it though.

Yes I know... Im an iPad case whore :( (Im so ashamed)

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
I received mine today. I have to say, this is much nicer than I thought it would be. I also have a DoDo case. Personally, no comparison between the two to be honest. Don't get me wrong, the DoDo is a nice case but this bests it.

Pros:
- The aged leather cover is outstanding
- The top strap I was worried about, while not ideal, blends in with the iPads black border.
- The stitching/fabrication of materials is well done with good reinforcing/use of materials in weak areas.
- Zipper is nylon. Should last...it has in the other BookBook cases they make.

Cons:
- The bottom corner straps are tight, but made of leather and will stretch. Actually have since being in the case an hour.....TwelveSouth posted about this.
- To use the chord to use the case as a stand one must undue the top strap and slide the chord behind the iPad. Nit picky maybe, but just an extra step I'd rather not have to make.

Some pictures....and yes, with the chord the case is adjustable, you just need table/desk space.

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

large.jpg

raull1

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
Thank you for posting these!! I just got a case, but I really wanted to see how this fits on an ipad, how is it working out when you need to do some on the go typing in portrait mode? do you take it out?

one more thing!, can you post a pic to reference the thickness of the case, maybe the closed case with the ipad outside next to the case. I saw from the specs that it's a "1"inch thickness.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Looks pretty if you're into that sort of thing, though that button thing would press against the screen, and that's worrying?

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
Looks pretty if you're into that sort of thing, though that button thing would press against the screen, and that's worrying?

Pretty? That thought honestly never entered my mind. Zipped-up it's like carrying an old book.

The 'button thing' is a sewn round leather tab...it has no chance of scratching/damaging anything.

Mr. Biggles

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Western New York
Thank you for posting these!! I just got a case, but I really wanted to see how this fits on an ipad, how is it working out when you need to do some on the go typing in portrait mode? do you take it out?

one more thing!, can you post a pic to reference the thickness of the case, maybe the closed case with the ipad outside next to the case. I saw from the specs that it's a "1"inch thickness.

The cover folds over the back no problem, with that said, it feels better in landscape mode, which is how I would use it to type anyhow. The binding gives it a little angle when on lap.

Here's the photo...it's 1.0" thick.

large.jpg

prot0type

macrumors regular
Jul 12, 2010
Thanks for the pictures, I still love the look.

Still turned off by how it handles landscape typing though, particularly the amount of space it would take up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.