Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bentrider

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
I've got all the biggies on my iPad as do most of us. What's your fave and why?

Nickinev

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
I have them all and I like iBooks the best. I like the fact that you can put any epub (non drm) on it and it will sync with the iPhone. My only wish is that epubs could be downloaded from dropbox. I'm hoping someday it will be possible. My next favorite is Stanza for the dropbox reason. Unfortunately, no syncing between devices with stanza.

Nicole

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
Stanza for features, file drop ability, and night mode.

Kindle for being able to sync between my iPhone4 and iPad when I'm working through a novel I bought on Amazon, and night mode.

iBooks for reading code/technical PDF's and file drop ability. I would use iBooks for all my epub if my margins wouldn't go so extra-wide on iPhone4 with it. Same epub file seems to render nicer in Stanza.

I've tried both Borders & BN apps, but neither showed enough outstanding potential to switch to it. If the ebook was much cheaper on BN/Borders though, I'd install the app to read the book. I like having my paid ebook library on one platform though.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I find iBooks two-page mode in landscape easiest to read. I don't think any orher ereader apps have that mode. Unless stanza does, haven't tried that one in a while.

okrelayer

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2008
iBooks generally has the best UI, also the ability to import ePubs. Syncs with iPhone as well

Kindle- Because i really enjoy amazon, and they have a massive selection of books. Syncs with iPhone

Nook for iOS- I have not bought anything off of this, mostly because i want to keep purchases between iBooks and Kindle. However, i LOVE the "publishers settings" meaning the book is displayed page by page as the original book. Nook has a wonderful sick innerface with features that competes with iBooks , but i invested to much into Kindle to drop it as my secondary e-reader.

In Closing. I use iBooks for all my ePubs and any book i am interested in reading if its in the store. I use Kindle for my past Kindle books, as well as my secondary store for what the iBooks store does not have. I love that we are given choice though. long winded, sorry!

VideoBeagle

macrumors 6502a
Aug 17, 2010
App Q&A testing by request.
I haven't really found one yet. I have most of the free ones.
ibook I imagine will be for ePub..

Stanza I've had some issues with, need to sit down with the manual, I suppose.

Mainly I'm trying to find something that can read PDB's (I have a lot from my palm days).

gks

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2010
Lots of PDF files here. So goodreader In addition to all of the above

shadowness

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2010
Lots of PDF files here. So goodreader In addition to all of the above

same for me! I never touch ibooks for pdf.
And Goodreader is the best pdf reader out there imho!
I carry a big library of manuals, craft and vision ebooks, user guides etc on Goodreader.

regarding ebooks, iBooks wins hands down for me, just for the sake of epub drag and drop in itunes!

use stanza for all guttenburg project ebooks!

Grievous Angel

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2010
Kindle. Running on my Kindle. For extended reading.

:)

I have the Kindle app on my iPad when it's convenient, as well as on my Android phone (when I'm really desperate).

So there's not much point in me using another reader even when on the iPad, if I want to keep everything synched up.

It looks and works pretty good too. Not as flashy as the native reader, but IMO it works a little better.

geerlingguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2003
St. Louis, USA
Kindle seems to be designed for the Kindle, and not the iPad... I simply feel better reading a book in iBooks (but the selection's not there).

However, I have read about 5 books in each app, and both have their virtues (Kindle has a cool feature that highlights 'frequently highlighted' sections of your books (if you choose to allow it) so you can see what other people think is important).

Jaro65

macrumors 68040
Mar 27, 2009
Seattle, WA
I prefer to use the Kindle app for my e-books and the GoodReader with iAnnotate for the PDF's. The iBooks app is nice, but the book selection is pretty poor.

txa1265

macrumors 65816
Aug 15, 2002
Corning, NY
I find iBooks two-page mode in landscape easiest to read. I don't think any orher ereader apps have that mode. Unless stanza does, haven't tried that one in a while.

I know at least the nook app from B&N also does that ... though I prefer portrait.

So I use:
- iBooks - for all of those older books I have had for ages across a range of formats and used Calibre to reformat for ePub.
- Kindle - I have been buying ebooks in Kindle format since I was able to ...
- nook - I bought my wife a nook, her sister and our niece also have one, and our kids have iPod Touch, so it makes sense to use it to share books within family and across families.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.