Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jck1634

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Hi guys, I seem to be having a problem with the iPhone 3G and my Macbook pro. I've enabled tethering on my iPhone, but I can't seem to keep it connected to my Mac. It pairs with it absolutely fine, but when it comes to connecting, it connects for like a split second then disconnects.

Anyone know why this is happening?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
I'm having the same problem. I can connect perfectly over USB, but not Bluetooth. I'd like to save my one little USB port, though.

Carniphage

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
Sheffield, England
Hi guys, I seem to be having a problem with the iPhone 3G and my Macbook pro. I've enabled tethering on my iPhone, but I can't seem to keep it connected to my Mac. It pairs with it absolutely fine, but when it comes to connecting, it connects for like a split second then disconnects.

Anyone know why this is happening?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The Bluetooth module in Unibody MacBooks (and MacBook Pros) was not compatible with the iPhone.

But Mac OS 10.5.7 had a fix for this. And it should now work.

C.

jck1634

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
Its working now. So strange. All I did differently was press [connect to network] on the Mac. Up until now, I've been pressing connect on the iPhone.

Replying now whilst tethered to the iPhone.

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
Its working now. So strange. All I did differently was press [connect to network] on the Mac. Up until now, I've been pressing connect on the iPhone.

Replying now whilst tethered to the iPhone.

Still nothing for me. Did you just click 'connect' on the mac when the passcode was displayed? If I try that, it errors out. If I click connect, then choose 'pair' on the iphone, I still get the short connect, then disconnect results.

TheZimm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2008
Still nothing for me. Did you just click 'connect' on the mac when the passcode was displayed? If I try that, it errors out. If I click connect, then choose 'pair' on the iphone, I still get the short connect, then disconnect results.

did you set up a new bluetooth device? that's how I connected to my phone. Then I went to the bluetooth drop down menu from the status bar and went to my phone and clicked connect to network.

Dan

jck1634

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 16, 2009
This is what I did.

Turn Bluetooth [ON] on both your Mac and iPhone and pair the two devices. You'll get the code on your mac screen and a pop up on your iPhone, confirm both and both devices should now be paired but not connected.

Switch tethering [ON] on your iPhone and make sure bluetooth is still on. On your Mac, either in the bluetooth menubar icon or in bluetooth prefrences click on [Connect to Network] and it should connect to your iPhone and tethering should enable.

Let me know if that works for you.

slapguts

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2008
This is what I did.

Turn Bluetooth [ON] on both your Mac and iPhone and pair the two devices. You'll get the code on your mac screen and a pop up on your iPhone, confirm both and both devices should now be paired but not connected.

Switch tethering [ON] on your iPhone and make sure bluetooth is still on. On your Mac, either in the bluetooth menubar icon or in bluetooth prefrences click on [Connect to Network] and it should connect to your iPhone and tethering should enable.

Worked for just a second, now I'm grayed out.

Tried redoing the whole process again, but couldn't connect at all.

Remoth

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2008
It works amazing! hooking up with the usb cable is easy! But hooking up through bluetooth is almost as easy! Soooooo much better than Netshare. Netshare always crashes, and it just horrible to set up. less than a minute and im tethering now! getting over 300 KBps! Great Job Apple!

hotelcalifornia

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2009
This is what I did.

thank you! as if it took a special order to make it work. But now i know

znewton

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2008
Anybody have any help here? I"m having the same problem. On my iPhone it lists my macbook and says "Not Connected". I click it and it connects momentarily and than disconnects within one or two seconds. Any suggestions here?

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
I had exactly the same problem.

Pairing and everything went fine, but after putting my MBP to sleep, the 'Connect to Network' option had become greyed out.

I haven't found out why it happened. I have even gone to the extreme of re-building both devices.

I have found a workaround however:

Hack

This works for me so I am happy.

Option hasn't become greyed out after sleeping etc

brince

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2010
Slapguts,

I've been having the exact same issues with my iphone connecting via bluetooth to my iMAC. What is interesting is that I recall having this feature working (I was able in some time to connect to my iMAC via bluetooth and even do tethering and sync my iPhone). However, recently, it will not connect via the bluetooth drop down menu.

I have deleted, re-installed the bluetooth device, but I get the exact same thing. It connects for about 1 second and then immediately disconnects!

Did you find a solution for your problem?

Thanks for the help.

giddyup2u

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
You have to go into the phone and turn on the internet tethering after LINK UP!

You have to go into the phone and turn on the internet tethering it is not
automatic , The I phone blue tooth issues i was having the same problem . The issue for me was simple . It is extremely easy for the Mac book to discover the device and link with the code… But then it can’t connect it keeps cycling … frustrating!! i was like it detects my magic mouse no problem….. so it pointed to the phone , then i realized you have to go into the phone and turn on the internet tethering then bam it’s connected all good no worries ….. it will not do it on its own ….only discover and link with the code!!!!! It is also a good idea to turn off Location Services as this will free up the phone for max POWER!!!! Mac is the best ! It is so efficient it is usually human Error ! No Jail breaking required! :apple::cool:

Slapguts,

I've been having the exact same issues with my iphone connecting via bluetooth to my iMAC. What is interesting is that I recall having this feature working (I was able in some time to connect to my iMAC via bluetooth and even do tethering and sync my iPhone). However, recently, it will not connect via the bluetooth drop down menu.

I have deleted, re-installed the bluetooth device, but I get the exact same thing. It connects for about 1 second and then immediately disconnects!

Did you find a solution for your problem?

Thanks for the help.

4corners

macrumors newbie
Dec 21, 2009
Northern Ireland
iPhone Bluetooth problems

Hi all,
I'm also having problems connecting iPhone 3Gs to 27"iMac, goes through the pairing process, confirm pairing code.... then nothing, just the "not connected" message on iPhone. Read what others have said about tethering but I might be being really thick here but I can't turn "tethering" on on my iPhone, it sends me to the O2 website, which tells me of the wonderful tethering deals that they can offer me!!! I don't want to have to pay £10/month just to connect my bloody iPhone to my iMac via bluetooth!!
Can anyone help?????:confused:

jctonett

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Vegas, baby!
Hi all,
I'm also having problems connecting iPhone 3Gs to 27"iMac, goes through the pairing process, confirm pairing code.... then nothing, just the "not connected" message on iPhone. Read what others have said about tethering but I might be being really thick here but I can't turn "tethering" on on my iPhone, it sends me to the O2 website, which tells me of the wonderful tethering deals that they can offer me!!! I don't want to have to pay £10/month just to connect my bloody iPhone to my iMac via bluetooth!!
Can anyone help?????:confused:

I have the same issue in the US. When I turn on tethering in settings, it tells me to contact AT&T. I use MyWi as a tether through USB, but it would be very handy to do via BT.

lalo39

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2010
turn bluetooth sharing on

turn bluetooth sharing on:

system prefs>sharing>check the bluetooth sharing option

done!

rgibbons

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2008
I am trying to pair using iphone 4 and bluetooth on 10.4.11. According to the apple website it should work.

I can sucessfully pair and the iphone shows tethering active, but I still cannot connect to the web. For some reason my mac can't retrieve the IP address from the phone. I tried entering it statically, but still no luck.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.