Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OMGitsShan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
Without switching them on and using settings etc - is there a way to tell the 3G model apart from the 3GS model - just from the outside?

May 8, 2008
My friends 3G is much dirtier and scratched up than my 3GS. That's how I tell them apart. :p

Charadis

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
Compare the backsides of the iPhones. Both have shiny "Apple" logos, but only the 3GS has shiny "iPhone" lettering (including regulation info markings, all shiny like a mirror) at the bottom end of the phone.

The 3G has the lettering in nonreflective white/grey silkscreen. Other than this comparison, the two phones look very similar physically/aesthetically.

-C

Sent from my iPhone 4

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Not quite. The 3GS has a more brighter silver writing on the capacity and model number.

How is that "not quite" does the 3GS and 3G not say 3G or 3GS on the back? :rolleyes: if you're looking to quickly tell then that's how you do it. :rolleyes: Try again son.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
How is that "not quite" does the 3GS and 3G not say 3G or 3GS on the back? :rolleyes: if you're looking to quickly tell then that's how you do it. :rolleyes: Try again son.

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the fact you are dead wrong and can't accept that fact.

Also, if it's hard to grasp, not quite, as in, that wasn't it but there is a similar way to diferentiate them.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the fact you are dead wrong and can't accept that fact.

Also, if it's hard to grasp, not quite, as in, that wasn't it but there is a similar way to diferentiate them.

No, I'm asking you plainly, unlike you who clearly has some attitude. Does the iPhone 3G say "3G" and the iPhone 3GS say "3GS" on the rear? If so, then that is how you can tell them apart quickly. Analyzing luminosity of paint is another way, but you're saying I'm wrong in what I've said. Man up, answer the question and whine to me in a PM if you have a problem. Stop ******** on other people's threads because you have some misguided issue with me.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
No, I'm asking you plainly, unlike you who clearly has some attitude. Does the iPhone 3G say "3G" and the iPhone 3GS say "3GS" on the rear? If so, then that is how you can tell them apart quickly. Analyzing luminosity of paint is another way, but you're saying I'm wrong in what I've said. Man up, answer the question and whine to me in a PM if you have a problem. Stop ******** on other people's threads because you have some misguided issue with me.

My my, look who is mad.

I did say how.

OMGitsShan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
thanks for the help people =)

Actually looking at that Wikipedia image - I couldn't tell since even the fullsize was a bit blurred, but I presume they both have different FCC IDs? That would probably be the sure fire way of doing it.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

From the above link, there does not seem to have a 3g or 3gs designation on the back

edit: saw you responded to same post

nhlducks35

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2008

It just says iPhone on the back, there is no 3GS or 3G logo on the back. Instead of being a total prick, look at the picture.

Edit: Well I was kinda late.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
It just says iPhone on the back, there is no 3GS or 3G logo on the back. Instead of being a total prick, look at the picture.

Yes the pic, the one posted while I posted? Personal insult aside, I have looked at the pic. Best refresh your browser before you personally insult someone who has clearly asked a question, gotten an answer and now knows. I think you should take your need to insult me and apply it to yourself. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.