Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spiritlevel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
I am sure this must have been asked before but I have searched and can't find what I'm looking for.

Can anyone tell me if there is a good notes application that lets me organise notes into categories/projects/folders. I am looking for something that has both a mac and an iphone version and will sync multiple macs and iPhone over the web using mobile me for example.

I'm not looking for a task manager - I'm already using omnifocus for that and in an ideal world I am looking for something very similar to omnifocus but that is notes based rather than task based.

I'm not looking for a files/documents depository either - I use Evernote for that.

Just need simple text notes...

Any ideas? thanks.

Edit - I have found Soho Notes which basically does what I want, (mac client, iphone client, notes in folders, mobile me sync) but I find the interface a bit cheesy with all those icons...ideally looking for something a bit more minimalist - I like the look of Mori and Mark/space Notebook but they don't have iphone versions...

Edit2 - Having looked further into Soho Notes, there seems to be a lot of complaints about the syncing and corrupt databases...I have also looked at MacJournal which is along the lines of what I'm after but again quite a lot people having problems with the sync by the sound of it so still looking...

spiritlevel

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 5, 2007
I appreciate the reply but as stated in my OP, I'm already using Evernote for other things and it's not really appropriate for my needs here, mainly because it uses tags rather than hierarchical notebooks/folders (I need hierachy) and it's kind of overkill - I don't need all the different file formats that Evernote supports, I just need text notes.

I think the nearest thing to what I want is MacJournal, but although it syncs to multiple Macs via Mobile Me, the iPhone Sync is unfortunately WiFi only.

I'm starting to come to the conclusion that what I want doesn't exist which I find really surprising - definitely a development opportunity here for someone I reckon!

Just to recap, I need:

• a simple text only notes application with Mac and iPhone versions
• Notes can be organised into folders and subfolders.
• Multiple macs and iPhone can sync via the cloud / Mobile Me

FourCandles

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2009
England

I think the nearest thing to what I want is MacJournal, but although it syncs to multiple Macs via Mobile Me, the iPhone Sync is unfortunately WiFi only.

I have MacJournal and I sync multiple Macs via Dropbox rather than MobileMe. I've found it to be a much faster and reliable method. Not having an iPhone I can't vouch for that, but there is a Dropbox app for iPhone so I can't see why that shouldn't work with the MacJournal iPhone app?.

amorgan77

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2010
I'm looking for something similar. I did some online sleuthing and came across Shovebox. I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but it appears to do most of what you're looking for -- though I'm not sure that it stores entries as text files.

Anyway, let me know whether this fills the bill, or whether you come across something better.

Dillenger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2006
Central, Illinois
Do yourself favor and stay away from SOHO Notes. I've had it with this POS software. It has crashed or locked up on me for the last time. I've been using this since it was called Sticky Brain in the hopes they would get it working. I had it on my Mac, iPhone and iPad and just last night it locked up again even to the point I cannot restore any back-ups. As far as I'm concerned I will never use this crappy note taking software again. Oh, and tech support? Try calling the President of the U.S., you stand a better chance of talking to him than you do getting help from this company. So many dollars and upgrades later I've deleted all of their junk from my Mac/iPhone/iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.