Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvb1994

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Hi, i have a big problem.
Yesterday i changed the LCD screen on my iphone 3g, then after i changed the screen i turned the phone on. but the apple loge didn't appear.
I have tried to reset and restore it but neither worked. Then today i just pressed the buttons randomly and suddenly the apple logo came on and the phone worked perfectly.
But only for a minute after that the screen went completely white and then it just turned off.
After that happened i tried to reset the phone and i took it apart again to check all the connection. But none of it worked.

Does anyone know what to do, i am seriously desperate !!

dvb1994

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Yes i did email you, thanks for the fast reply:)

The screen is not from ebay but from a local iphone repair store. the owner claims it is the original apple screen.

I don't understand how the lcd can be bad because it worked perfectly for a minute before it turned white. :confused:

dvb1994

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
I called the owner of the shop i brought the screen from, and he told me that i had shorted the lcd and there were no warranty on spare part. I really don't see how i shorted the screen because the phone was off when i put the screen in. and as far as i can see there is only one way to connect it to the rest of the phone?

DEE9299

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
Boston Mass.
have you tried taking the motherboard out of the phone to ensure that there is not power to the phone and then re-install everything all over again and see if that helps...if you did its possible that either the lcd was bad when you bought it or you could have possible shorted it out...

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
one other thing you can try other than what I told you in the email is to make sure everything is plugged in completely and then hold the home button and the power button for what like may seem forever but realistically 30 seconds or so and see if the apple logo appears. sometimes everything needs to be reset. also shorting out the lcd is why I asked you earlier if you had the phone on or off. you can also short the proximity sensor but plugging it in with it on also. that makes your ear speaker not to work as well as the light shutting off when you put the phone to your ear.

most shops will not warranty parts that are being sold and the customer installs because most people have no idea how to correctly install a part. and to be honest I have never seen a youtube video yet that was completely correct. how much did you pay for the lcd?

dvb1994

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
I already tried to reset the phone, didn't work:(

i paid about 60 usd for the screen

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
I already tried to reset the phone, didn't work:(

i paid about 60 usd for the screen

well I install them every day for $$100 for an OEM Screen or Lcd so you could have paid a little more and then it would all be on him! at this point I am not sure what to tell you. I warranty all of my repairs but I dont sell parts because of this same issue you are experiencing. maybe if you go back to that shop you can work out some kind of an agreement on replacement and have him install it for you.

sdb318

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
this also happened to me on my 3gs. itunes recognizes it and all. the backlight will come on when i press the home button or the power button but thats it. does anybody know what i also did wrong?

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
to be honest people should NOT be doing their own repairs! sounds like you had your phone on also when you put it back together. try doing a full reboot as I stated. but it may have come unplugged also.

DEE9299

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2009
Boston Mass.
in some cases taken the phone apart and taken the motherboard out to completely drain it of power and then putting everything back together may work. When you do these repairs yourself you have to make sure the phone is off....but as tracy said thats the reason some repair shops do not sell parts because we can not assume the risk associated with others installing the part....I would speak to the shop owner maybe he will help you out...

dvb1994

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Hi, thanks for the replies:)

I didn't expect any warrenty, i just said that there were no warrent before anyone asked me to go and get a new screen.
Also i live en Denmark and iphone repairs is quite expensive here. so it is more lige 150 uds here.:(

sdb318

macrumors newbie
Aug 21, 2008
so did i mess up my lcd screen? or should i replace the Proximity sensor cable?

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
can anybody help me here?

you did not provide enough information on your problem. you say backlight....dont say that again it is not a correct issue. does your lcd work when you hold whatever button down? do you mean no screen at all till you hold either button then its all white? if so your lcd it bad most likely. but you can try a hard restart by holding down the power button and the home button. keep holding when the slider appears if you can see it and keep hold both till it goes dark and keep holding till the apple logo appears. if that doesnt work you need to have the lcd replaced.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.