Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
I just had a question real fast about folding with the G5...is the program already optimized for the G5, or is there something I have to do in order to take advantage of the G5's extra processing power? Thanks for the help in advance!

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
It runs well on the G5. There is really no software optimised for the G5, only that which allows access to the larger memory spaces.

Due to the G5's excellent floating point capabilities, it grinds through Tinker work units much more quickly than the G4 and does well on the Gromacs WUs too.

spencecb

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
Thanks for the reply. Thus far, I have been please with how fast it tears through just about anything it does, but I didn't know if there as an optimization. Thanks again though!

coconn06

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2003
King of Prussia, PA
bousozoku said:
There is really no software optimised for the G5, only that which allows access to the larger memory spaces.

That's not at all true. If I remember correctly, the new (not sure if it's the most recent) GCC compiler Apple provides is optimized for the G5. Therefore, software compiled with that compiler would be more optimized for the G5 than software compiled with previous versions of the compiler.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.