Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edwinx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Hi,

I am looking for a really good/best web browser for the iphone. I have tried opera but don't really like it since you can't pinch to zoom (zoom is only 1 level) and it screws up some layouts. Any other suggestions? I've tried the Atomic browser, its not bad but looking for others.

thanks,

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
You could try the full screen web browser (it's free). It's a very cut down, basic browser so you won't be able to use bookmarks or anything like that.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Any browser for the iPhone is going to be running the same WebKit as Safari, it only has a different skin. So I'm going to agree with others and say that Safari is the best free browser available on the iPhone.

edwinx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
hmm I was hoping to have choices like I do on the desktop. different browsers with different speed or features. I guess mobile Safari for now...

andyadler

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2007
Louisville, Ky USA
I know you said "free," but if you can see your way to spending 99 cents, I'd heartily recommend Perfect Browser. Tabs, easily-switchable full-screen mode, quick and responsive, etc.

Best...A.

tctony

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Atomic is the best for browsing. Mobile Safari is nice because my bookmarks are synced. But no fullscreen is annoying to me.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
hmm I was hoping to have choices like I do on the desktop. different browsers with different speed or features. I guess mobile Safari for now...

Maybe you should ask for specific featuers.

Like, if you said, "What app should I get for doing ____" then we'd be able to better answer.

Because overall, Safari is best. You'll have to be more specific if you're talking about specific things.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Atomic is the best for browsing. Mobile Safari is nice because my bookmarks are synced. But no fullscreen is annoying to me.

I like the ability of Atomic to all me to view the full version of the sites, instead of mobile version, like espn.com for example....

also the ad blockers, that rocks!

edwinx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Maybe you should ask for specific featuers.

Like, if you said, "What app should I get for doing ____" then we'd be able to better answer.

Because overall, Safari is best. You'll have to be more specific if you're talking about specific things.

I was hoping for you guys to throw tonnes of suggestions and then see what sticks. :)

I mainly want faster rendering but not like opera mini. I don't like that compressed image method that they use.

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
I like the ability of Atomic to all me to view the full version of the sites, instead of mobile version, like espn.com for example....

also the ad blockers, that rocks!

Safari is quite capable of viewing the full version of any website. I think what happens is that when you first browse to a site, it detects which browser you are using. Some sites, when they detect a mobile browser, will redirect you to the mobile version of that site. You can force Safari to browse to the full version by going into the address bar and removing the extra part of the link that took you to the mobile version.

Having said that, I agree Safari is the best browser for the iPhone.

edwinx

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 6, 2010
Safari is quite capable of viewing the full version of any website. I think what happens is that when you first browse to a site, it detects which browser you are using. Some sites, when they detect a mobile browser, will redirect you to the mobile version of that site. You can force Safari to browse to the full version by going into the address bar and removing the extra part of the link that took you to the mobile version.

Having said that, I agree Safari is the best browser for the iPhone.

sometimes I want to view the mobile version of the site, its easier to navigate, no ads, faster to download etc. Is there a way to toggle? besides editing the Url? I am testing out vanilla browser now and so far its good. Will try out Atomic a week later.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Atomic Browser is the best browser I've used on the iPhone. It's head and shoulders above Safari. I'd recommend dropping the 99¢ that it costs and get the full version. It's highly customizable, has tabbed browsing, full screen mode, multi-touch functions, privacy settings, you can import your bookmarks from your computer, and a whole lot more. Plus, the pages don't have to reload if you have 4-5 tabs open.... they're just there.

IMO, it's what Safari SHOULD be but isn't.

Apple should really buy out that dev, incorporate Atomic's features into Safari, and bring him on board to be in charge of Safari.

TheWatchfulOne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
sometimes I want to view the mobile version of the site, its easier to navigate, no ads, faster to download etc. Is there a way to toggle? besides editing the Url? I am testing out vanilla browser now and so far its good. Will try out Atomic a week later.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions

You could try making separate bookmarks for the full and mobile versions. I don't know of a way to toggle between them though.

I also do prefer to browse the mobile version of any site on the iPhone instead of the full version.:apple:

But I prefer native apps over having to browse at all!:cool:

villagejazz

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2010
Atomic Browser.

Safari isn't even close to what Atomic is and what it offers. Try it for free, then drop the buck and buy it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.