Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ensert13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Hey guys,

I'd thought I would seek to your guys help for some ideas on marketing strategies and pricing options. I recently finished an app with one other guy, really small team, but I think it turned out really well. We put it up on the App store and it rocked into the top 20 and did really well the first few days. After the first few days, I feel like due to visibility it kind of died off. What are your guys thoughts on optimal pricing points and best marketing strategies for getting your stuff out there. Right now our's (http://bit.ly/b0iYmG) is $4.99 and is a huge database of old movies you can watch on wifi/3g which I think is pretty neat and would do decent, but can't seem to keep it up on the charts. Thoughts? Thanks in advance guys!:)

sempire

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2010
What I have noticed about my friends with iphones and ipad is that unless they really need it, or there is no free alternative, they won't buy an app.

One of my coworkers has had an iphone for almost a year, and has just bought one 99 app and then felt guilty afterwards.

Your idea is pretty cool, although I wouldn't pay 4.99 for it.

Sometimes you can't stay on the charts because everyone that wanted it has already bought it.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
Pick a date very soon, and take the price down to $2 for just 24 hours, call it a Back-To-School sale.

When GameLoft lowered the price of N.O.V.A to $1 for a couple of days, it skyrocketed to the top of the charts, probably made them a fortune.

Then just post your offer everywhere you can, you'll see it soon skyrocket in the charts.

ensert13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Thanks for the input guys, yeah i know what you mean I have several friends that are the same way. They have only bought like one or two ever. Which is so strange to me considering people go spend money here are there on other things so quickly. Bottle of water, $1. 1 movie ticket, $10, things that they will dish out so quickly for, yet a .99 cent app is scary to purchase

anjinha

macrumors 604
Oct 21, 2006
San Francisco, CA
Email a few Mac/iPhone blogs and see if they're be willing to do a review of your app if you send them a promo code. Try to do giveaways on Twitter, for example. All those things help give visibility to your app.

PM me if you want a review on Macgasm.

ensert13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 20, 2010
Thanks so much anjinha! That would be very helpful, we have messaged several other sites with promo codes as well. Overall it seems that the community is really great and people are always willing to help.

I don't know if you can PM on here, I emailed you instead. Thanks!!

misteroo

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2010
tel aviv
A few tips

Hey, your app looks really cool. from my experience i would recommend 2 approaches to find the right price (and audience)

Start high and start dropping the price week after week. Don t bring it to zero, but see where is the inflexion point.

Now in my opinion for apps like your the best thing is too really have a lite version with limited functionality or content and get as many free users as possible and then, start to push your paid app there.

If you want we can take this offline and i can share more tips with you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.