Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
Hi. I've had my eMac since May of this year. I have noticed that evry so often (say, once a day or so) the screen flickers slightly, shakes. I would not normally be worried, but after all that raster shift stuff, I am worried about what may happen a few months down the line (or sooner) . Should I be worried?

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Dec 3, 2003
Honestly, I wouldn't be too worried.

Typically this happens when you play sound or music too loud. Perfectly normal.

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
I think you may have misunderstood. I am used to having a slight ripple at the edges when i play loud music, but this flicker is more random. It has happened even with no music playing, and the volume turned down.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
ive seen CRTs do what you describe before, but before you get too concered, try and figure out if there is anything causing it, or if it is truely random, for example in the computer labs here at my school if someone sits down next to me and the monitor is off, as soon as it gets turned on it does what you describe, so there might be some other factors, but i wouldnt be too worried if i were you

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Are you having a cellphone or other wireless acessories near the eMac??
Those can make your screen flicker. Also don't have any magnetic things (like speakers too close to your computer).

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
cluthz said:
Are you having a cellphone or other wireless acessories near the eMac??
Those can make your screen flicker. Also don't have any magnetic things (like speakers too close to your computer).
my cell phone always made it flicker every 5 or so minutes as it was calling the voicemail thingy. (my crt) try seeing if you have your cell phone on you or maybe something else like the guy that i quoted said.

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
good points guys! I have a boombox sitting next to the eMac, and next to that i have my cellphone. I will try moving them both and see how it goes. cheers :)

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
I wouldn't worry

I have crappy electrical service in my area, marked by many surges and dips in the supply of power. The CRT being the single largest draw of power, it tends to flicker whenever there is a power surge. Long story short, my Apple studio 17 flat panel, the same screen as is in the new eMac, has been doing it for years. So as far as I can tell, no worries mate. Oh, and mine will do it every couple of days, but sometimes weeks will go w/o incedent.

jared_kipe

macrumors 68030
Dec 8, 2003
Seattle
Most power lines have either some kind of variance which can cause this problem. Things like pluging in an iron can usually change the way power flows in a house or apartment.

wowser

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2004
Inglaterra, Europa
BornAgainMac said:
Change the resolution down one notch to see if it eliminates the problem.

Nah, it's on 1152 / 864 at the mo - i wouldn't want to go to 1024/ 768.

At the mo, the screen is behaving itself. :eek:

slooksterPSV

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2004
Nowheresville
I'm just going to answer this just because its happened to me. Yes other monitors do it, other things sitting by it such as telephones or cell-phones will cause it to do that, also the HZ will cause it to do that if you don't have it set correctly or sometimes just the shaking desk will cause the monitor to get a ripple in it. Loud sounds, boxes with energy running through it right by them such as Router, DSL and that. Also the mouse is right by it, it makes it shake sometimes (very slightly). Simple stupid things like that. You may want to check into it being something on the desk. ALSO DO NOT PUT MAGNENTS BY THE MONITOR OR ANYWHERE NEAR THE COMPUTER! Um... what else is there. Oh CDROM's, I've seen this at school, when its reading the CD too fast the monitor ripples or shakes or flickers. Anything i'm missing guys? You mentioned sound and that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.