Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
So I just received my dual 2.5 G5 with a ATI 9600 XT card, and I am trying to connect with 2 monitors - a clear style 20" ACD and a Samsung 15" LCD. The cinema display works fine with the ADC port, but when I went to plug in the other monitor, it does not fit in the other port (and neither does the ADC).

Now I had assumed that the other port was a DVI port, just like the one on my powerbook (to which the Samsung connects to and works fine). Also, the DVI to VGA adapter which came with the G5 does not fit in the port either.

So what is this? Are there more than one type of DVI ports? Do I need yet another adapter? Why would there be a different DVI output between a PB and a PowerMac?

I would send a picture, but the G5 is at work.
Sorry if I am missing something obvious, but a quick look at apple site and around here didn't reveal very much.
Thanks

x86isslow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2003
USA
Scottyk9 said:
So I just received my dual 2.5 G5 with a ATI 9600 XT card, and I am trying to connect with 2 monitors - a clear style 20" ACD and a Samsung 15" LCD. The cinema display works fine with the ADC port, but when I went to plug in the other monitor, it does not fit in the other port (and neither does the ADC).

Now I had assumed that the other port was a DVI port, just like the one on my powerbook (to which the Samsung connects to and works fine). Also, the DVI to VGA adapter which came with the G5 does not fit in the port either.

So what is this? Are there more than one type of DVI ports? Do I need yet another adapter? Why would there be a different DVI output between a PB and a PowerMac?

I would send a picture, but the G5 is at work.
Sorry if I am missing something obvious, but a quick look at apple site and around here didn't reveal very much.
Thanks

what kind of PB do you have? if its a 12" you have miniDVI, which is a smaller.

BrianKonarsMac

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2004
the G5'S use a different port than the powerbooks. It's the same signal, different pin arrangement (hardly). the computer should include all necessary adapters. your card most likely has an ADC and DVI connection, are both monitors DVI or is one ADC one DVI?

you shouldn't need an adaper, but your powerbook adapter won't work with your G5 and a G5 specific adapter (aka Video Output) won't work with a Power Book's dvi or mini-dvi ports or adapters.

don't know WHY the G5's have a modified DVI port...but they do...very strange :confused: apple does some real odd things every now n then.

yes there are different types of DVI (many in fact), the three I know of are DVI-I, DVI-D, and dual link DVI. one is analog/digital, one is digital only, and dual link is essentially double bandwidth.

Scottyk9

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2004
Canada
BrianKonarsMac said:
the G5'S use a different port than the powerbooks. It's the same signal, different pin arrangement (hardly). the computer should include all necessary adapters. your card most likely has an ADC and DVI connection, are both monitors DVI or is one ADC one DVI?

you shouldn't need an adaper, but your powerbook adapter won't work with your G5 and a G5 specific adapter (aka Video Output) won't work with a Power Book's dvi or mini-dvi ports or adapters.

don't know WHY the G5's have a modified DVI port...but they do...very strange :confused: apple does some real odd things every now n then.

yes there are different types of DVI (many in fact), the three I know of are DVI-I, DVI-D, and dual link DVI. one is analog/digital, one is digital only, and dual link is essentially double bandwidth.

Hey thanks for the information. Yes, I have one ADC port (to ACD) and a DVI port (the one I am having trouble with). Do you know if the different types of DVI are physically compatable - that is, can you get them to plug into the port? I was in a bit of a rush when I was trying to set up the 2nd monitor, but I really couldn't physically get the connection together.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.