Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. No

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
Western Digital released the Raptor 10k RPM SATA drive last year (I think). Are these drives reliable? And how well do they work in the PM G5? Any heat issues?

Thanks.

Jaz

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2004
Sydney, Australia
Great performance, very reliable. Noise is more an issue of how much background noise you have. In an open office you won't hear it. In home office or quiet office you will hear the whine.

The main issue is that they top out at 74 Gb. If you are into multimedia or video you may hit that quickly on a given project. I am assuming you are because 10k drives are great for two things; A/V or non-RAM resident databases.

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
I'm thinking about upgrading my QS to SATA and using one of these for the OS. How much benefit would one get from loading the OS onto such a fast drive?

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
I have one.

I love it-- got it from NewEgg-- they have a $25 rebate on them right now.

System boots SO fast... :)

Peyote

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2002
sweet...$153 after rebate if you buy it before Nov 15. mighty tempting

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
We put one 74gb in each of the 3 x 2.5 g5s we bought for work as boot drives.

Size wasn't an issue as we store stuff on a server and archive completed projects onto DVD pretty quickly.

Can't hear them at all in the office, no heat problems so far. Very snappy.

A breeze to install as well. Money well spent.

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Blue Velvet said:
A breeze to install as well. Money well spent.

Yes, I forgot to mention that-- Hardware installation took all of 5 minutes. Software installation went just as smoothly as one could hope for. Very Easy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.