Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

penelope123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Hey I wonder if anyone here could help me. My brother (who is currently based in Germany - in the army and eligable to get a 25% discount on electronics items bought over there) and I are considering buying our younger brother a 15" macbook pro as a present for his university graduation.

My question is - does anyone know anyone know of any problems we may encounter with him buying the German version of the machine and exporting it back here to the UK? I am aware there will be an awkward German keyboard setup but I believe I'm correct in saying this can be easily remapped in the systems settings to be like a UK keyboard (excluding physically of course)?

Is anybody aware of any other issues we may encounter? I would hate to hand my little brother his present and find he can't use the thing.

thanks for any help guys :)

devan963

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
I don't know what the difference will be to the final price, but you get 15% (I Think), heavily discounted Apple Care(Something daft like 80+% off) and a free iPod touch if your a student in the UK.

Might be worth working out what the difference will be to the full purchase price.

Also check what Apple Care/Waranty is like if purchased in a different country, but i am sure it will be ok.

gri

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
New York City, aka Big Apple
I don't know what the difference will be to the final price, but you get 15% (I Think), heavily discounted Apple Care(Something daft like 80+% off) and a free iPod touch if your a student in the UK.

Might be worth working out what the difference will be to the full purchase price.

Also check what Apple Care/Waranty is like if purchased in a different country, but i am sure it will be ok.

You need to I believe reinstall the system (or change the language setting, try that first) to switch from German to English as otherwise all the menus will be in German. I once had a keyboard physically exchanged from a US to German one, which ended up as a disaster (was a PB G4 though) as this was adhered with sticky tape, which came off at one corner with an unpleasant noise (sticky) each time the arrow keys were used. Thank god at the end that guy had a motherboard failure and was replaced by Apple. A good option other than changing the keyboard physically is BTO if possible or use a bluetooth keyboard. You also may want to get the Apple traveling kit as that does have all the plug adaptors in it, including for UK plugs. And check the discounts as had been mentioned.

Apple care is world wide. I had a screen replaced in Cambridge, MA on a MB bought in Germany.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
You need to I believe reinstall the system (or change the language setting, try that first) to switch from German to English as otherwise all the menus will be in German. I once had a keyboard physically exchanged from a US to German one, which ended up as a disaster (was a PB G4 though) as this was adhered with sticky tape, which came off at one corner with an unpleasant noise (sticky) each time the arrow keys were used. Thank god at the end that guy had a motherboard failure and was replaced by Apple. A good option other than changing the keyboard physically is BTO if possible or use a bluetooth keyboard. You also may want to get the Apple traveling kit as that does have all the plug adaptors in it, including for UK plugs. And check the discounts as had been mentioned.

Apple care is world wide. I had a screen replaced in Cambridge, MA on a MB bought in Germany.
This is not 'nam, gri, this is Mac OS X.
bildschirmfoto20100825u.png

Drag English to the top:

Logout, log back in. English Mac OS X.

An English keyboard as BTO costs you 0€:

And the UK-plug adapter costs £3 on eBay incl. shipping. Get rid of the ring circuit in your houses and install something that is Europlug-compatible, IMHO.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.