Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marco44

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Hey, I know there is a way but I have not seen a quick tutorial anywhere. I already know how to SSH so if someone could point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Once you have the icon on the right resolution (Retina for iP4, or regular for all others) Like this one Cydia HD icon

All you do is SSH (or iFile or any File manager) and replace the Icon inside the application folder located at /private/var/stash/Applications/XXXXX.app (where XXXXX is the name of the app).

Example, if you want to replace Cydia's icon you would overwrite the icon (icon2x.png) on /private/var/stash/Application/Cydia.app

murdercitydevil

macrumors 68000
Feb 23, 2010
california
Once you have the icon on the right resolution (Retina for iP4, or regular for all others) Like this one Cydia HD icon

All you do is SSH (or iFile or any File manager) and replace the Icon inside the application folder located at /private/var/stash/Applications/XXXXX.app (where XXXXX is the name of the app).

Example, if you want to replace Cydia's icon you would overwrite the icon (icon2x.png) on /private/var/stash/Application/Cydia.app

This is the way to do it only if you refuse to use winterboard. But I'd rather use winterboard than replace system files and have to go back and undo it later. If you use winterboard, all you need to do is put an icon in the application's bundle folder and nothing gets overwritten or replaced.

Marco44

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Which way is better? What do you mean undo them later? I have winterboard.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008

How can you replace a file using iFile? Like you can email the file to yourself.. you can view the image.. Now how do you get it to the iFile browse??

I didnt see a open email attachment button.. Or is there a way to browse for email attachment within iFile?

Marco44

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Kk cool I think I get it. Does anyone have a source for finding some new icons? I'm looking for a new Facebook , txt msg and Safari. Let me know! Thanks

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Hmmmm, I tried changing the app store icon and it won't change, any ideas?

Nevermind, didn't realize I had to change it in the theme I was using..

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
How can you replace a file using iFile? Like you can email the file to yourself.. you can view the image.. Now how do you get it to the iFile browse??

I didnt see a open email attachment button.. Or is there a way to browse for email attachment within iFile?

There are many ways to get files to your iPhone, email, download it (if you have Safari Download manager), or you can just use iFile web server, when you open iFile, the second option at the bottom looks like a wifi logo, click it and the web server will start. All you do is go to your computer (both devices need to be on the same network), point your internet broswer to the address that iFile is telling you (usually is the iphone iP adress o port 10000 e.j http://192.168.1.xxx:10000) and upload the file (I usually upload everything to /private/var/mobile/Documents/ just to keep my iphone clean.

Them just click "done" to stop the web server and use iFile to copy the file (or overwrite) to the correct application folder.

It actually looks harder and longer than it really is.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
There are many ways to get files to your iPhone, email, download it (if you have Safari Download manager), or you can just use iFile web server, when you open iFile, the second option at the bottom looks like a wifi logo, click it and the web server will start. All you do is go to your computer (both devices need to be on the same network), point your internet broswer to the address that iFile is telling you (usually is the iphone iP adress o port 10000 e.j http://192.168.1.xxx:10000) and upload the file (I usually upload everything to /private/var/mobile/Documents/ just to keep my iphone clean.

Them just click "done" to stop the web server and use iFile to copy the file (or overwrite) to the correct application folder.

It actually looks harder and longer than it really is.

Yea okay thats one route to go is SSH...

But i was thinking if you emailed yourself the file. Then what?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yea okay thats one route to go is SSH...

But i was thinking if you emailed yourself the file. Then what?

That is NOT SSH, the web server is build in on iFile.

For email, you'll need something like Attachement Server that allow you to save any attachement into the file system.

I think the iFile way is the easiest one, since all you need is already there.

You can also use, iPhone Explorer or PhoneDisk to place the File Manually (both Free and no need for SSH).

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
That is NOT SSH, the web server is build in on iFile.

For email, you'll need something like Attachement Server that allow you to save any attachement into the file system.

I think the iFile way is the easiest one, since all you need is already there.

You can also use, iPhone Explorer or PhoneDisk to place the File Manually (both Free and no need for SSH).

Lol the built in "web server" with iFile does exactly the same thing as OpenSSH..

But yeah like i thought you cant do anything with the file if you email it to yourself as an attachment besides viewing it but cant start moving it around the file system.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Lol the built in "web server" with iFile does exactly the same thing as OpenSSH..

THis is the statement of the day!!...LOL :eek::eek:

sorry to break it to you, but and SSH server is totally different from a WEBserver, 2 different protocols, 2 different type of packages, totally different. It like comparing a FTP transfer with a P2P transfer.

To use SSH you need the server running at the kernel level, the HTTP server run as a service in to of the OS, SSH connection is encrypted and that is why you need an SSH client, login and password. with the webserver all you need is a web browser.

there are many other difference that i don't think I will list right now.

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
THis is the statement of the day!!...LOL :eek::eek:

sorry to break it to you, but and SSH server is totally different from a WEBserver, 2 different protocols, 2 different type of packages, totally different. It like comparing a FTP transfer with a P2P transfer.

To use SSH you need the server running at the kernel level, the HTTP server run as a service in to of the OS, SSH connection is encrypted and that is why you need an SSH client, login and password. with the webserver all you need is a web browser.

there are many other difference that i don't think I will list right now.

Whats the outcome of each at the end? Put a file from your computer to the phones file system. No?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Whats the outcome of each at the end? Put a file from your computer to the phones file system. No?

You must be right them, because emailing someone and using regular post mail must be the same thing, since at the end, they both deliver a message to the other person. :rolleyes:

esadb

macrumors 65816
Nov 29, 2008
You must be right them, because emailing someone and using regular post mail must be the same thing, since at the end, they both deliver a message to the other person. :rolleyes:

Thats why you are maturola!

Marco44

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
Hey while messing around with my sms icon I stupidly deleted the original. Could you post it quickly for me? Id be a life saver. Thanks

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hey while messing around with my sms icon I stupidly deleted the original. Could you post it quickly for me? Id be a life saver. Thanks

sms%402x.png

Marco44

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010

MUCH appreciated. I have 2 other questions. What's the file path to get to your game apps to change the icons for them . They dont seem to be in private -> var -> stash -> apps. Also i need to find out how to change my ssh password. I still havent done that :S

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
MUCH appreciated. I have 2 other questions. What's the file path to get to your game apps to change the icons for them . They dont seem to be in private -> var -> stash -> apps. Also i need to find out how to change my ssh password. I still havent done that :S

Your games and other Applications are on:
Code:
/private/var/mobile/Applications/

Now the Folders name are based on the iTunes signature, so you will see a bunch of numbers and letter, I am not sure if the have some patter (but I don't think so) you need to go inside the folder and fine the "gamename.app" folder you are looking for.

For you SSH, you can just run the following command:

Code:
passwd

it will ask you to input your new password twice and done.

Marco44

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 14, 2010
where do I enter the command? mobileterminal does not work on my iphone

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
where do I enter the command? mobileterminal does not work on my iphone

well...ok... if you get the beta from Surik, mobileterminal works, but that's besides the point, just log in using your regular SSH client, and run that command once you are in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.