Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I've just now had to send a fax in panther for the first time. Everything seems to be working fine, but when the fax is done, it just disappears from the status page. Is there any way to check if the fax has been successfully sent?

brap

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2004
Nottingham
Phone the guy at the other end and ask?

I dunno, I never use OS X's fax capabilities, but with real fax machines in my office there's no way of telling either.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
brap said:
Phone the guy at the other end and ask?

I dunno, I never use OS X's fax capabilities, but with real fax machines in my office there's no way of telling either.

Well, the fax was for a contest where there were likely hundreds of entries. I doubt they're going to be willing to sift through the pile to see if mine showed up.

At least with a "real" fax machine (and even the fax software [faxSTF?] I had back in the day), there was a status page (or list) that indicated whether things seemed all right from the perspective of the sender.

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
wordmunger said:
Well, the fax was for a contest where there were likely hundreds of entries. I doubt they're going to be willing to sift through the pile to see if mine showed up.

At least with a "real" fax machine (and even the fax software [faxSTF?] I had back in the day), there was a status page (or list) that indicated whether things seemed all right from the perspective of the sender.
If you want, you can still get faxSTF. When your fax disappears from the que, you know that your computer has sent it. The receiving fax machine has acknowledged receipt of the end of the data stream. Whether the intended human recipient ever receives it is a completely different matter. There are a lot of things than can go wrong. It is just that they usually don't go wrong. If your intended recipient is an individual, you can make a telephone call and ask for verification. If your fax is one of hundreds as in this case, then you just have to pray to the Gods of FAX that things work OK. However, a firm that expects receipt of hundreds of faxes will not put its business at risk with a $100 Murata. You can be assured that it will receive your fax.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
MisterMe said:
If you want, you can still get faxSTF. When your fax disappears from the que, you know that your computer has sent it. The receiving fax machine has acknowledged receipt of the end of the data stream.

Are you talking about Panther or FaxSTF? If you're talking about Panther's fax, that's exactly what I need to know: when the fax disappears from the queue, then Panther's letting me know it was sent all right, right?

Thanks!

jrv3034

macrumors 6502a
Oct 23, 2002
Isn't it like a print job in that way? When it prints successfully, it simply dissapears from the queue, right?

On a related note: Can a person with a regular fax machine at their office send me a fax to my PowerMac with Panther? I know I can SEND faxes, bt can I RECIEVE them? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
you have to do is...

jrv3034 said:
Isn't it like a print job in that way? When it prints successfully, it simply dissapears from the queue, right?

On a related note: Can a person with a regular fax machine at their office send me a fax to my PowerMac with Panther? I know I can SEND faxes, bt can I RECIEVE them? If so, how?

Thanks in advance.

go to system preferences, select print and faxes, click on faxing them select the the check box that says " Receive Faxes on this computer"
select if want them to be saved, email or printed and you are done

cheers

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
Wash!! said:
go to system preferences, select print and faxes, click on faxing them select the the check box that says " Receive Faxes on this computer"
select if want them to be saved, email or printed and you are done

cheers

Forgive me for asking what is probably a really stupid question, but:
Don't you need a phone line connected to your Mac to receive a fax from a regular fax machine? If my PowerBook is connected to my cable modem via AEpress, how can someone send me a fax?

Wash!!

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2002
here, there, who knows
AHHH now it becomes interesting

powermac666 said:
Forgive me for asking what is probably a really stupid question, but:
Don't you need a phone line connected to your Mac to receive a fax from a regular fax machine? If my PowerBook is connected to my cable modem via AEpress, how can someone send me a fax?

you are correct you do need a phone line but there is a fix for this you could do this wireless too. There are some wireless phone with a extra phone jack on the handset that you can connect to and send faxes I don't have a list right on the top of my head but most them are for business use

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
If you don't want to tie up a phone line, you can use a service like eFax.com, which charges something like 20 cents a page to receive faxes. Could actually be cheaper than a phone line, depending on your usage.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.