Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

coconn06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2003
King of Prussia, PA
I know the Bluetooth module is only available as a BTO option on the iMacs, but can you upgrade a PowerMac with the BT module "aftermarket"?

I ask because I want to save money initially and I don't really care about the BT mouse and KB, but BT might be something I want down the road. I'd also rather have the internal BT module than a USB module.

Thanks.

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
coconn06 said:
I know the Bluetooth module is only available as a BTO option on the iMacs, but can you upgrade a PowerMac with the BT module "aftermarket"?

I ask because I want to save money initially and I don't really care about the BT mouse and KB, but BT might be something I want down the road. I'd also rather have the internal BT module than a USB module.

Thanks.

Initially, I wanted to say that you can add Bluetooth later by using a dongle - then I read your last sentence. AFAIK, the internal BT module is soldered to the mainboard and therefore cannot be added later. So, it's internal BT now or a dongle later, I guess...

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
internal bluetooth

i beg to differ.

is not solderied to the MB on the 'new' iMacs or the PowerMacs (FW800 or G5's).

it is a small board 1" by 3/4" held by two opposite screws. having said that, i am unsure if the 'antenna' is included in the iMac. the internal case antenna is included in the FW800 machine as well as the G5 PowerMac.

you just have to find a vendor willing to sell you the module (it is not available from Apple, nor is a customer installable part). the only logic i can deduce is that it is something regulatory about installing this item in a machine (ie FCC regs).

hope this helps. i highly recommend this option when BUYING a new Apple.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
coconn06 said:

Thanks.

When you say 'powermac', do you mean the G5 powermac? If so, I'm sure there'll be a place that will sell the little module.
There's a place in Japan that sells it HERE , and they show a quicktime of it being placed on at the back.
It's just under $100, so it doesn't come cheap.

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
coconn06.. this is helpful but...

this is the outside antenna, we were speaking of the 'module' electronics itself. Its a PC board about 1" by 3/4" is attached by two screws and a small antenna cord plugs into it (very tiny stuff). it IS not available through Apple (it may be available to Apple service providers.

junior said:
When you say 'powermac', do you mean the G5 powermac? If so, I'm sure there'll be a place that will sell the little module.
There's a place in Japan that sells it HERE , and they show a quicktime of it being placed on at the back.
It's just under $100, so it doesn't come cheap.

junior

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2003
RGunner said:
this is the outside antenna, we were speaking of the 'module' electronics itself. Its a PC board about 1" by 3/4" is attached by two screws and a small antenna cord plugs into it (very tiny stuff). it IS not available through Apple (it may be available to Apple service providers.

So this antenna is actually useless unless the module is installed by Apple to begin with? Will they only include the mini board if you go for a BTO mac?

RGunner

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2002
Midnight Sun
you are correct.

the antenna will be useless.

of course any of the BTO Macs with the optional bluetooth will come with the module in place, the internal antenna cable routed and the external plastic cable which is pictured here.

really it is a no brainer and should be purchased at the time you order.

coconn06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2003
King of Prussia, PA
junior said:
When you say 'powermac', do you mean the G5 powermac?/QUOTE]

I do mean G5 PowerMac. Specifically, the new low-end single processor 1.8 GHz processor.

This is very unfortunate. Why can't Apple make this an easily added option after market? Like in a PCI slot or something? Seems silly to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.