Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

halfclue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
I received a new 12-core Mac Pro with Radeon 5870 video card yesterday. I did not open it until today after 5:00.

Shocked would hardly describe how I felt when I saw the bottom two expansions panels smashed in. That is where the 5870 video card is installed. It looks like it is twisted at about a 15 degree angle, as if you grabbed the video card and pulled it hard towards the open side of the case.

No damage to the box, no damage to the styrofoam packing, but the video card is twisted.

What do I do? I am not going to keep this thing. Any suggestions? Of course, by the time I discovered this, there is no one available at Apple.

I ordered this shortly after they were announced. Now this. Very disappointed. Will Apple come through and make this right?

I will post the results, but I am very concerned.

Half

sboerup

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
this thread is worthless without pics . . .

Also, I'm sure if you call Apple they'll resolve it quickly.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
It's unlikely Apple will even consider helping you unless you post pics for us. :p

donw35

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2010
Los Angeles
"No damage to the box, no damage to the styrofoam packing, but the video card is twisted."

meaning it happened before it was packed and shipped, I guess that is a possibility but wow.

posting pics would help everyone here to be more sensitive to your situation

nobias

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
This happened to my 2010 iMac. Smashed and dented, but perfect packaging.

keithos27

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2006
wow sorry to read this.

you have 14 days to return your new mac for any reason (that i'm aware of). you could call them and tell them you think the case is ugly and they'd have to refund your money. ;)

i HIGHLY doubt they wouldn't help you on the spot, but just in case, you always have the option of returning your order.

ps. jealous you got a 12 core!

Giuly

macrumors 68040
You don't have to destroy the packaging to do something like this. If you apply pressure on a large area of the package, it could damage the MacPro without damaging the Package or the styrofoam.
You know, like the martial arts stuff with breaking the bottom stone without damaging the ones on top.

halfclue

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 24, 2010
Here are some pics of my DOA $5K Mac Pro

Pic 1 - you can see the back of the video card caved in on the right side.
Pic 2 - the Radeon 5870 is stuck in at an angle
Pic 3 - inside view of the video card mounting area bent inward
Pic 4 - is the card mounted upside down?
Pic 5 - large view, you can see how it looks like the card was pulled out at an angle

Any comments helpful.

Apple gave me grief, but are cooperating now after getting manager.

It is disappointing to see this in a Mac product. A simple 15-second inspection would have caught this before it left the factory.

Half

Attachments

• MacProWarp01.jpg
    MacProWarp01.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 230
  • MacProWarp2.jpg
    MacProWarp2.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 202
  • MacProWarp3.jpg
    MacProWarp3.jpg
    139.6 KB · Views: 201
  • MacProWarp4.jpg
    MacProWarp4.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 192
  • MacProWarp5.jpg
    MacProWarp5.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 234

Bennieboy©

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2009
england
the card is mounted the correct way up, it'll only go in one way ;)
it's hardly smashed in lol, have you tried removing the card and reseating it?, if that dont work, send it back to apple for a replacement ;)

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Wow, that sucks.

Good pictures, though. I imagine if anyone at Apple saw those, they would stop giving you grief. How would that happen??? :confused:

reel2reel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
it's hardly smashed in lol, have you tried removing the card and reseating it?, if that dont work, send it back to apple for a replacement ;)

It's bent, though, isn't it? Smashed/bent/whatever, I'd be pi$$ed.

sboerup

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2009
From the looks of the pics, the metal bar that locks the GPUs in might have been "bumped open" with a hard enough bump (or it was never locked in place which is more likely). Without this lock the shear weight of the card could have easily been unseated. Then, from being unseated during transit it kept on pulling on the "port" sheild and bent that a bit (pic3). I'd just reseat it, I doubt it's damaged . . . btu I'd be pretty pissed too :D

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia

He shouldn't even bother with that, the vent grill is clearly bent - like as if someone tried to pull it out at an incorrect angle.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I'd get the card replaced. You'd probably be able to reseat the card and bend the slot cover back into place but why live with that when you can get a perfect new card?

Sin

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2007
Not London
Even if reseating the card worked, I'd want the thing replaced. At the very least I'd want to make 100% sure Apple were aware of the extent of the problem.

I'm thinking that if any strain at all has been placed on the logic board, it's possible some tracks or solder points have been stressed and maybe now have hairline fractures. Even if it seems to work, there's no guarantee it won't fail later. Maybe if the OP upgrades the graphics card later, or even if the machine just gets moved during normal operation, that could cause a real failure.

It may not be likely, but it's a possibility, and on a new machine of that cost, I wouldn't take the chance.

SeniorGato1

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
It's not uncommon that a damaged product off the assembly line gets put in the box. The factory worker at foxconn was probably like ""oh ****, if my manager sees this, I'll get written up and jump off the roof."

Apple will take care of you.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
It's not uncommon that a damaged product off the assembly line gets put in the box. The factory worker at foxconn was probably like ""oh ****, if my manager sees this, I'll get written up and jump off the roof."

Apple will take care of you.

Yeah it's too bad that Apple had to give him trouble about it. Hmm, who do you believe.. a customer that will drop down for a 12 core MP... or some guy at a sweatshop in China?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I would be straight on the phone to Apple and demand a brand new free replacement, don't touch the one you have. If you've just spent thousands of dollars on a computer of which a lot of it is profit why the he'll should you accept it or 'just reseat' the card!!!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.