Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
So i was by the pool and my iPhone 4 slid out of my pocket and out into the water... The phone won't turn on but the LED light is on and is shuttering i need some really big help on this one!

I got a 1600 error after trying to restore in iTunes then after i got a 2005.

Please guys

Help!

if it makes it any better the water sensor isnt tripped.

amazingdm

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2010
So i was by the pool and my iPhone 4 slid out of my pocket and out into the water... The phone won't turn on but the LED light is on and is shuttering i need some really big help on this one!

Please guys

Help!

Water sensor?

Everytime I've had a phone that was submersed in water it would return to full function after a week. Just let it dry off in the sun for a few days.

If that doesn't work, after a week, you can have Apple replace it for $199

Renfred93

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009

Please guys

Help!

Sorry, sounds bad. best bet is to let it dry out for a few days. out it in DRY rice to absorb the water. leave it for about three days and check on it. if it doesn't work then schedule an apple appointment and in the mean time let it dry out more. Also keep in mind there is more than one water sensor, there are some on the inside so they might turn you down, but be persistent

Renfred93

macrumors member
Jun 22, 2009

Please guys

Help!

Sorry, sounds bad. best bet is to let it dry out for a few days. put it in DRY rice to absorb the water. leave it for about three days or more and check on it, but DO NOT TURN ON THE PHONE before then, it may short circuit. if it doesn't work then schedule an apple appointment and in the mean time let it dry out more. Also keep in mind there is more than one water sensor, there are some on the inside so they might turn you down, but be persistent

nate1220

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2009
this is what you do. DO NOT turn it on after it has touched water. turn it off. remove your sim card and put it in a zip lock bag or a air tight container with dry uncooked rice and Desiccant's. (silica packs). My iphone 3g was submerged in water and in about 3 days of sitting in a container/hot cali sun, it was up and running perfectly

gemz1000

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2009
Chicago, IL

Please guys

Help!

I personally have had my numerous phones incur water damage.
Here is what you need to do.

1- DO NOT turn the phone on again, power it off an leave it that way. Having it on will cause more damage and the phone will short out.

2- Take a paperclip and remove the SIM card and tray.

3- Shake out and use a paper towel to remove as much water from the speakers, power & volume buttons, and dock connector as possible. The point is to remove as much water as soon as possible to prevent hardware damage and board erosion.

4- Go to the store and buy a bag of plain white dry rice. Get a large Ziploc freezer bag and put your iPhone in there. Fill the bag until it fully covers the phone.

5- Time. Leave it in the rice for about one to two weeks. Removing sooner and trying to power on lessens the chance of survival. Good luck.

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
Take the back off (all you have to do is remove the 2 screws at the bottom). And let it try for like a week! Then report back.

jacollins

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
During a breakdown of an iPhone 4 on the TWiT network, the guy said that there were 4 water sensors in the iPhone 4. One in the 30 pin connector area and one in the headphone jack, as well as the battery, etc. So not sure what you were looking at, but I'm pretty sure that at least one was tripped...

As the others have mentioned, rice is your best bet for getting it up and running again, but I wouldn't put my hopes on Apple replacing it.

hoffeecraw

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
I had also jumped into a pool, then came to realize that my iphone 4 was swimming too. I've taken the back off, disconnected the battery, and let it dry overnight. I re-assembled it, and still nothing. My biggest worry is that the phone was off when I realized it, tried to turn it on with no avail, and plugged it in the charger [before I decided to search the forums that tell me to do none of the above].

So I'm wondering how to troubleshoot the insides with my electronic meter to see which component(s) need to be replaced (i.e. battery, LCD digitizer, etc.) I have found several sites that have components I can buy.

Thanks for any help everyone! I'm lost without my baby.

holyibis

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
@hoffeecraw: Don't take this personal, but if you try to turn an electric device on while it's still wet and even plug it in to recharge, you really should not try to fix it on your own!
I'm nearly 100% sure you're better off paying the 200 dollars for a professional repair.

hoffeecraw

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2010
@hoffeecraw: Don't take this personal, but if you try to turn an electric device on while it's still wet and even plug it in to recharge, you really should not try to fix it on your own!
I'm nearly 100% sure you're better off paying the 200 dollars for a professional repair.

Well put. However, in the moment I was much like a hysterical father who couldn't remember the CPR training he received as he sees his unconscious child floating face first in a swimming pool. 24+ hrs. later, I'm now thinking with a clear (and remorseful) mind. Btw, no...I don't have kids [otherwise my moronic self possibly would have posted a more morbid post on a different site :(

iphonechica

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2010
Yet another wet iphone4...

Yet another iphone4 dropped in water, happened about 2 hours ago... i dropped it in my sink that was filled up, and immediatly grabbed it out of the water. I had figured since it still turned on i was quick, and it worked, a few minutes later, i noticed water came out when i shook it. i was texting my friend, tried to turn it off, and the top button did not work. My father dropped his iphone3g in the bathtub a little while ago and put it in a container filled with rice, after a week he took it out and he believes that because he took it out too early that is why it didnt work. i just put my phone in a container sitting on top of a bunch of rice. My dad wont let me blow dry it or put it on top of the toaster:( and he insists i leave it in that box for two whole weeks! i dont know what to do. will my phone ever work again? if i take it to the apple store will they be able to do anything? should i call and see? p.s. my dad had to buy a brand new phone, i just got mine a few months ago. this sucks.

iphonechica

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2010
Yet another iphone4 dropped in water, happened about 2 hours ago... i dropped it in my sink that was filled up, and immediatly grabbed it out of the water. I had figured since it still turned on i was quick, and it worked, a few minutes later, i noticed water came out when i shook it. i was texting my friend, tried to turn it off, and the top button did not work. My father dropped his iphone3g in the bathtub a little while ago and put it in a container filled with rice, after a week he took it out and he believes that because he took it out too early that is why it didnt work. i just put my phone in a container sitting on top of a bunch of rice. My dad wont let me blow dry it or put it on top of the toaster:( and he insists i leave it in that box for two whole weeks! i dont know what to do. will my phone ever work again? if i take it to the apple store will they be able to do anything? should i call and see? p.s. my dad had to buy a brand new phone, i just got mine a few months ago. this sucks.
ohhh. also i forgot. i plugged it in to recharge cuz that was the only was it would go to the lock screen. but the rest of the phone still worked before i put it in the rice.

EvryDayImShufln

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2006

Well I wouldn't call it a repair, they just replace the whole phone, lol.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
If you turned on the phone right after you got it out of the pool without letting it dry out for at least 3 days, you have an expensive paperweight.

iphonechica

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2010
Well I wouldn't call it a repair, they just replace the whole phone, lol.
well, see, the rest of the phone still worked b4 i put it in the rice, so im gonna wait. i got it recently, my parents def. wont buy me another so im just going to wait it out

Linta

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2010
After slid down into the water. my iphone4 has not working properly. i want to replace it whether make it well

kattjeveln

macrumors member
Jul 26, 2010
So i was by the pool and my iPhone 4 slid out of my pocket and out into the water...

How is this possible? Do you not care for your phone enough to not keep it in a loose, open pocket while leaning over the surface of the water or something?

kayayuu

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010
Check it out...

First of all, if you live anywhere where it's warm outside, i.e., above 80 degrees, I believe letting it dry for a week would most aptly be described as excessive and retarded. Secondly, if you really want to whisk away moisture because you live in a moist climate it would be wise to use vermiculite as opposed to rice. Suspend the item over the vermiculite with a wire mesh. And give it a day or so. I dropped my iPhone 4 (the same one I'm typing this with.) in a bucket of water just 2 hrs ago, where it was completey submerged for about 5 seconds before I pulled it out. I live in Las Vegas where it's hot as hell and relatively dry (around 20% humidity at the time). I turned the phone off and set it in my truck that had been sitting in the sun, where the temperature was probably around 110 F. I shook and blew out the water, then let it sit for about an hour, maybe hour and a half. It's working perfectly. Think about it people, it doesn't take that long for small amounts of water to evaporate. Put the phone in the warmest location you can without getting stupid and putting it in the oven or the microwave (someone probably would...ay dios mio) and give it a couple hours. If its cold where you live you would pre-heat the oven, open the oven door and use a fan to blow hot air towards the phone without heating it excessively. That is, unless you want to wait a week to find out if it's going to work or not. I'd much rather dry it out as fast as possible without causing heat damage, but if you really want to you should go ahead and put it in a bag of rice like an idiot and wait 2 weeks. Come on people...use your brain(s).

drew2675

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010
I got pushed into a lake with my Iphone 4 in my pocket, needless to say it's still dead. I let it sit in rice for a couple of days to no avail. Ended up going to a Mac store near to where I live and they said they would have to send it back to Apple to get a diagnosis run on it. Got the the call the other day and they said that the motherboard and the screen was toast. They offered to buy it back for parts for $200. I told them to go ahead and send it back to the store and I'll pick it up. My question is this. Is there anything else I can do to save it? Should I ebay it?

iphonechica

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2010
Here is what you need to do.

1- DO NOT turn the phone on again, power it off an leave it that way. Having it on will cause more damage and the phone will short out.

2- Take a paperclip and remove the SIM card and tray.

3- Shake out and use a paper towel to remove as much water from the speakers, power & volume buttons, and dock connector as possible. The point is to remove as much water as soon as possible to prevent hardware damage and board erosion.

4- Go to the store and buy a bag of plain white dry rice. Get a large Ziploc freezer bag and put your iPhone in there. Fill the bag until it fully covers the phone.

5- Time. Leave it in the rice for about one to two weeks. Removing sooner and trying to power on lessens the chance of survival. Good luck.

....A rice box works too, just make sure there is no air getting to the iphone.
Good luck!!! THINK TWICE ABOUT TEXTING WHILE GOING NEXT TIME HAHA

jurackike

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2010
sprayed perfume

Hey... Could you tell me anyone what to do if the spray sprayed in the iphone 4? It has a bubble inside and you can see how it is moving in the screen.... please, help anyone...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.