Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nohg

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
Allright, I have a 24" iMac. 3.06 Core Duo 2 4GB RAM etc etc.

Just now, as I was innocently talking to a friend using iChat, the top of my screen flickered once or twice and then went dark. I am typing on it now, so it is not unreadable, it just looks like the back lighting has gone off on the top half. The middle is relatively light (bleedover from bottom back light?). I have tried playing with the hinge to no avail. After I reset the computer, cleared pram-nothing. Zippo. I got the top to stay lit for about a half second after reset, but it then flicked off again. Do I need to load up my iMac and drag my ass to the Apple Store (it really is quite a task to drive there)?

Here is a horrible cell phone picture (and no, the screen IS dark, that's not a shadow.):

balpiaabl.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts!

EDIT: After display sleep, screen is 100% bright. Immediately snaps back to half and half.

ADent

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
You can call apple and see what your options are - but it sounds like the one of the back lights went out and you will need it fixed.

You could ask to ship it in, but is that any less effort and cost than driving to the Apple Store?

Nohg

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2007
You can call apple and see what your options are - but it sounds like the one of the back lights went out and you will need it fixed.

You could ask to ship it in, but is that any less effort and cost than driving to the Apple Store?

I think I'll just make a G-Bar appointment and get it looked after when I head out for some early holiday shopping.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions. :)

lak101

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2009
Same thing with me.

The exact same thing happened to my imac today. I have 3 weeks left on the warranty so i dont know if i should extend it beofre it runs out. I want to bring it to the genius bar but I no longer have the box. What happened to your computer?? did they fix it and was it simple?
Does anyone else no about this problem and why it happens. How does the 1 year warranty work, can i still send it back to them instead of bringing it in to a store.

sgtbilko28

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2009
2008. why does it make a difference?? does anyone know what the problem is?

these lcd panels are either vertically or horizontally backlit.

one of the backlights is on your machine is fraked. replacement display time wooh! your gonna need to take it in to get fixed yes.

Simpson-

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2010
I had same problem

I had the exact same problem as you did. I tried to fix it by restarting my iMac. Nothing Changed. I went on this forum and just put my imac into sleep. took it out of sleep and the screen was back to normal. Hope this would help anyone.

CubeHacker

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Either the inverter for the top half is dead, or the backlight has gone. Apple will be able to diagnose it and replace the appropriate part.

nathaned

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
Possible Power Problem

I had the same dimness on my monitor as well. It was intermittent and didn't make sense. As a wild guess I plugged the computer straight into the outlet bypassing my ups and the computer lit up like it was brand new. So far it has been holding steady so perhaps it's time for a new ups. At least for me...

---
Yeah nevermind. Sorry I thought it would stay fixed but it did not. It lasted for a while so I thought just maybe.... Sorry folks. I guess I'll have to haul it in for a fix up.

Last edited:

daftpunkstu

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
Edinburgh
just give it to the apple guys, they'll either have a quick software fix or they'll take it for a couple weeks and give you a shiny new display with new backlights

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.