Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rickvanr

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 10, 2002
Brockville
Hello

I got my old school G3 in the mail today, I came without a hard drive. So, first question is, will any standard IDE cable work when installing the hard drive? Also, do I need a HD caddy for the hard drive to work? If I do, how expensive are HD caddy's, and are the universal, or would I need one for my particular model? Secondly, inside, there is a chip, which I'm presuming is more vram, how easy is this to uninstall, as I'm going to put a rage 128 into it. Thirdly, what kind of ethernet is in this machine? is it 10/100? Below are pictures showing what I'm trying to describe. Thanks

Attachments

• extravram.jpg
    extravram.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 81
  • hdcaddy.jpg
    hdcaddy.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 75

AdamR01

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
A standard IDE cable should work fine. You dont need a caddy for the drive to work, but without one it will be loose inside the case (I could be wrong, I have the tower and it looks like you have the desktop). Worse case scenario I know some people that have duct taped stuff in place in their computer... You can just leave the vram chip in, it wont effect the add on PCI card. The onboard ethernet is 10 megabit not 10/100. Hope this helps.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
A hard drive bigger than 127 (or is it 137?) gigabytes will only show as the maximum capable. Aka, either 127 or 137...just stick with a 80GB hard drive. I started a thread on upgrading a machine like yours to function as an iTunes server...Linkety

Plenty of info there, just scroll down a little bit.

AdamR01

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
Mechcozmo said:
A hard drive bigger than 127 (or is it 137?) gigabytes will only show as the maximum capable.

Yeah you're right on the 127 I beleive because the max would be a power of 2 probably. 128=2^7.

Mechcozmo

macrumors 603
Jul 17, 2004
Go to http://www.everymac.com and look up the model. Nice website for Mac information.

Good luck with it...the guy I am buying it from is trying to get some files deleted forever, like passwords and stuff.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.