Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TomyDingo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Austin, TX
All the different ones I've tried do not always work correctly. Some times they fail to push a notification that I have an e-mail. I don't mind paying for an app, but when I do, I would like to see updates and reliability. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

bweberapps

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2010
All the different ones I've tried do not always work correctly. Some times they fail to push a notification that I have an e-mail. I don't mind paying for an app, but when I do, I would like to see updates and reliability. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

I've been using the built in mail app on iOS 4. There is a way to setup gmail for push in the exchange server setup when you add a new account. I haven't had any problems.

Check Here

TomyDingo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Austin, TX
Sorry for the confusion, I am talking about gmail push notifications. I currently use PushGmail but it lately hasn't been working and I can't get any response from the developer.

Moe UK

macrumors regular
Apr 28, 2009
London
If you don't want to the exchange route, although it is the best way to get push gmail. Try the google app the last update added email and calendar push notifications.

TomyDingo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Austin, TX
If you don't want to the exchange route, although it is the best way to get push gmail. Try the google app the last update added email and calendar push notifications.

The google app doesn't do push notifications for e-mail. if the app is open and you receive an e-mail, it will only show a badge.

Boxcar has been working well for me. It did miss several notifications for a few hours yesterday.

TomyDingo

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Austin, TX
didn't google just update their app for push notifications?

The google app doesn't do push notifications for e-mail. if the app is open and you receive an e-mail, it will only show a badge. I was originally talking about the push notifications that show up on your screen similar to the text messages do.

Eminemdrdre00

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2008

proplayer44

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2010
pushmail

I use push mail. It was $3.00 and works great. I have it for two email accounts, one being gmail. I get the screen pop notification immediately. You buy the app, then create a username with dopushmail.com then set a rule in gmail to forward messages to yourusername@dopushmail.com and your email is instantly on your phone with the pop up notification. Sometimes the text messages between my wife and I are delayed so now instead we just send each other emails because they are instant. I removed the mail app from the bottom 4 main icons on the phone and replaced it with the pushmail icon instead. It's all I use. Plus you have the option to change the background color send from certain people and other rule options. A big plus for me was the ability to auto delete all the email in the box instead of one at a time like the built in app.

philMBP

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2007
Yes, I know. Again, I am talking about the pop up

What you wanted to specify is the Alerts component of Push Notification. Instead, you used the wrong terminology over and over again, thus not getting the answer you are looking for.

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
I used GPush. It was always reliable for me. If you are jailbroken you could setup gmail as a push account and use notified pro with the notification plugins. I found that replaced Gpush for me. Running 4 push mail accounts chews through battery though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.