Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

resm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2002
Singapore
is there a way to hide pics on the iPad the way you can do on iPhoto ?
What about hiding files ?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Good reader and other similar apps allow password protection.

There might even be an app with hidden image library functions.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
You can create protected folders (as well as individual files) in Goodreader.

Goodreader can store any file type - however obviously it will only display files it can understand.

Should meet your needs, whatever they are. ;)

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
There's an app called Private Media Folders that I use. Needs you to input a password and lets you store pics, videos, PDFs and other files and arrange them into folders. What I really like is it lets you import and export pictures from the Photos app, in case you transfer a few sexy photos of your significant other from the camera kit then wish to put them somewhere private.

resm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2002
Singapore
thanks for your imput

thanks for all the info I got.
I bought the "private media folders" and will see if this is what I need.

There's an app called Private Media Folders that I use. Needs you to input a password and lets you store pics, videos, PDFs and other files and arrange them into folders. What I really like is it lets you import and export pictures from the Photos app, in case you transfer a few sexy photos of your significant other from the camera kit then wish to put them somewhere private.

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin
Doesn't having an app called Private Media Folders basically say "hey look I've got something to hide!"

I prefer the Goodreader approach myself. :)

resm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2002
Singapore
my business is nobody's business

my privacy is my priority.

"private media folders" is password protected.

I have business files that I want to be able to access instantly.
If anybody gets hold of my iPad (which they shouldn't in the first place),
my files including photos, are protected.

If this bothers anybody who gets hold of my iPad, thats good !

Doesn't having an app called Private Media Folders basically say "hey look I've got something to hide!"

I prefer the Goodreader approach myself. :)

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
colmaclean said:

Well I HAVE got something to hide! :p Though the author of the app has said they're working on an update with a 'false bottom'. — So if someone insists you enter a password (airport security, al qaeda, parents,) then you can put in an alternative password to show a few legal documents or whatever you like.

But resm: beware. I would only recommend using any of these apps when the information is private but not necessarily "top secret", because when you connect the iPad up to iTunes, it's currently still possible to access the files without a password. Not yet sure if this happens when connecting to another person's computer that isn't authorized, but overall it's something worth keeping in mind.

resm

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 1, 2002
Singapore
thanks for your info :)
will keep that in mind.

so far no "Top Secret" stuff, but still.....

Well I HAVE got something to hide! :p Though the author of the app has said they're working on an update with a 'false bottom'. — So if someone insists you enter a password (airport security, al qaeda, parents,) then you can put in an alternative password to show a few legal documents or whatever you like.

But resm: beware. I would only recommend using any of these apps when the information is private but not necessarily "top secret", because when you connect the iPad up to iTunes, it's currently still possible to access the files without a password. Not yet sure if this happens when connecting to another person's computer that isn't authorized, but overall it's something worth keeping in mind.

Eldiablojoe

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2009
West Koast
my privacy is my priority.

"private media folders" is password protected.

I have business files that I want to be able to access instantly.
If anybody gets hold of my iPad (which they shouldn't in the first place),
my files including photos, are protected.

If this bothers anybody who gets hold of my iPad, thats good !
Hear Hear! Why should anyone feel they need to apologize and / or explain their desire for privacy. Privacy should be the default, and people should apologize for invading your privacy, not the other way around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.