Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
i made this picture, it's kinda half ass, but it would be cool if apple made a car deck like this. :rolleyes:

Attachments

• applemobileplayer.jpg
    applemobileplayer.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 181

howard

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2002
interesting, it would be a nice thing to have an ipod dock in the bay of a car, rather than in the glove compartment like the bmw

i've always at least wanted just a standard audio in to every car, i can't believe they don't do it... the only car that i know of that has that is the mini and i just found out the other day. i always have to go through tape deck or radio with itrip in the car which sucks.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
I agree...you wouldn't want to be trying to read a little tiny screen next to you to find a playlist while driving. Personally, I'd just have buttons to select the audio source, like many car stereos do today (press the CD button for the CD player, Tuner button for radio, iPod button for iPod, etc).

Really, doing any kind of menu navigation in a car while driving isn't practical. So any means of playlist selection via the stereo controls is going to be iffy to start with. But perhaps a Menu button to return function from the playing source to the playlists, then use the track selection buttons to move up or down through a single-line display large enough to read in a glance. Those methods of control are similar enough to the iPod interface to be workable (unless you have a metric ton of playlists).

Can't figure out why you'd need a Compact Flash reader in your car, though.

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
thanks for responding so quickly, the bell rang in class as i was typing the last post, so sorry for the lack of detail. But i think a color screen would actually be more realistic, they would want to feature cover art. the iTMS would be a great success if you could buy songs as you drive. imagine hearing a song on XM radio and then having a feature that says buy last song or entire album of what you heard on the xm station. this is obviously 10- 20 years down the road, when wifi will be available on any major road or area. I could see this whole deck thing actually ending up just being a giant touch screen w/ GPS nav and all the latest mobile features. It would be too pricey for the mass's. it seems like something that would be made already or at least patented. maybe it is??? well, i think erveyone has been waiting for at least a deck option like this one. i got it...

there is 3 diff. kinds you can get.

-one with an ipod slot and a cd drive w/ am fm radio
$599

-one with an ipod slot, cd/ dvd-audio drive, am fm radio, xm radio, audio in/ out
$799

-one with ipod slot, cd/ dvd-audio drive, am fm radio, xm radio, audio in/ out, GPS NAV, onstar, iTMS, total bluetooth integration, and dvd screen/ playing
$999

just a thought....

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
of yeah, the CF reader would be for loading photos onto ipod and playing an songs on the CF card. maybe a USB or firewire link would be better!??

you got a point...

;)

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
my version of the new color ipod...

i made this a week ago, its already been posted. but it took a while.

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
corywoolf said:
thanks for responding so quickly, the bell rang in class as i was typing the last post, so sorry for the lack of detail. But i think a color screen would actually be more realistic, they would want to feature cover art. the iTMS would be a great success if you could buy songs as you drive. imagine hearing a song on XM radio and then having a feature that says buy last song or entire album of what you heard on the xm station. this is obviously 10- 20 years down the road, when wifi will be available on any major road or area. I could see this whole deck thing actually ending up just being a giant touch screen w/ GPS nav and all the latest mobile features. It would be too pricey for the mass's. it seems like something that would be made already or at least patented. maybe it is??? well, i think erveyone has been waiting for at least a deck option like this one. i got it...

there is 3 diff. kinds you can get.

-one with an ipod slot and a cd drive w/ am fm radio
$599

-one with an ipod slot, cd/ dvd-audio drive, am fm radio, xm radio, audio in/ out
$799

-one with ipod slot, cd/ dvd-audio drive, am fm radio, xm radio, audio in/ out, GPS NAV, onstar, iTMS, total bluetooth integration, and dvd screen/ playing
$999

just a thought....

It's a cool idea, but that price looks a bit high. (Though I'm not familiar with in-car audio, maybe that's average). Also, IMO the design doesn't look very Apple. Make it white or aluminum and it's an Apple design ;)

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
ok... it didn't post... DOH!

Attachments

• ipodadd.jpg
    ipodadd.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 112

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
corywoolf said:
ok... it didn't post... DOH!

Very cool. If Apple introduced that, I'd buy it in a second. Especially if it played movies--I'd love to take around clips and trailers of my latest films on my iPod without having to hook it up to a computer to play them!

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
i wonder what apple will swtich too in a few years???

(once the aluminum and white look is no longer appealing)

i think apple will need to make a change in style soon, they will start being copied.

i am getting bored of the aluminum and white look. maybe a drastic change like a black over aluminum. i mean if they paint the g5 black and keep the nice texture and all. just something to chnage it up. all this aluminum and white is making me sick. lol

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
hotwire132002 said:
OK, Here's my rendition of the new iPod:

not bad, but the dock on the screen takes up too much space. how would switch between scrolling through the dock and the regular menu?

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
i didn't know screen was spelled screeen, we all make mistakes, lol

i am guessing this was a 20 min. project?

hotwire132002

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2004
Cadillac, MI
OK, here's the new version:

Oh yeah, and to go to the Dock, you select "Dock" from the scrolling menu :)

Attachments

• iPod-Color.jpg
    iPod-Color.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 68

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 28, 2004
cool, but the "ipod your bmw wihtout the bmw" wouldn't actually ever be used because bmw would obviously not support the use of there name with a add not promoting their cars. but i get the idea. i don't think apple will be able to keep impressing customers with the same old chrome and white ipod. i think they will make a drastic change, like i said above. but keep the adds coming, i think it'd be tight to have a page just devoted to fake apple adds. i know theirs some people that can actually make adds that would compete oe do better then the actual apple adds, that post on macrumors (i'm not one of them). :cool:

ocellnuri

macrumors regular
Aug 20, 2004
Raleigh, NC, USA
If Apple were to make a deck unit for a car, it would have to be black. A white unit would be WAY too visible in the dash and would surely be stolen instantly. A black panel would blend in with the stock dash better.

Actually, I would hope they would use a motorized face that, when the unit is turned off, would flip over exposing only a flat black plastic panel. When the unit is turned on, it flips over again revealing an aluminum face (Powerbook/G5). There are a few CD Decks that do this already, and I think it's a great theft deterrent. That's what I'd like to see. :D

jtgotsjets

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2004
Lawrence, KS
howard said:
interesting, it would be a nice thing to have an ipod dock in the bay of a car, rather than in the glove compartment like the bmw

i've always at least wanted just a standard audio in to every car, i can't believe they don't do it... the only car that i know of that has that is the mini and i just found out the other day. i always have to go through tape deck or radio with itrip in the car which sucks.

my car has a standard stereo in jack.

(well, it wasn't standard with my car ['89 saab 990 turbo], but my deck does)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
jtgotsjets said:
my car has a standard stereo in jack.

(well, it wasn't standard with my car ['89 saab 990 turbo], but my deck does)

On the Mini, too, it's a $40 option. :rolleyes: At least it was in the launch year, unless they changed it.

But totally agree....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.