Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Slarsenr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Hey guys..
Ive had this MacBook since december, and this appeared a few days ago..
7de76fc3.jpg

its air bubbles between the "cover" and the metal..
I tried to screw it off the computer, but I dont want to risk anything by fixing it myself.

Has anyone tried this? Should I contact Apple?

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
Wait, so while the bottom piece was still on it bubbled and warped like that? Weird, I've never seen this. I've seen the swollen battery on old units but nothing on these units. I have this exact model as well, I haven't seen any bubbling.

Did you ever spill anything, keep it in a humid environment? Maybe go to the apple store.....:(

Slarsenr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Nope nothing. I keep it as safe as possible. I bought that incase cover for it just as I got the computer..
Theres no apple store near me, but im giving them a call tomorrow..

And yeah, when its on its bubbled like that.. Annoying as ****
When I write its like bump, bump, bump because its not balanced..

Slarsenr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Contacted Apple. Theyre looking into it, and I might need to send it away to them..

The Apple support guy said he never saw anything like this in his life.. He also said they might say I caused this myself.. If theyre going to claim I did this myself im going nuts..

MacProblem

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2010
Contacted Apple. Theyre looking into it, and I might need to send it away to them..

The Apple support guy said he never saw anything like this in his life.. He also said they might say I caused this myself.. If theyre going to claim I did this myself im going nuts..

I've got the same problem! Mine are appearing on the side of the Mac. I've got the new white MacBook, the same as yours by the looks of it. Bought it in May. And it turned like that a couple weeks ago! Gonna go into the store soon to check it out. What happened to yours in the end? Did they help?

benjimoodie

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2009
I know this is an old thread, but did anyone find the reason for this?
Im just sitting here at home with my laptop on my lap, lift it up and theres a massive freakin' bubble on the bottom!!

Fast/Furious

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2008
Vancouver, BC
Apparently, it's quite common. Rubber (or maybe it's silicone?) reacts to heat differently than the plastic and aluminum on the MacBook so from an engineer's perspective it's quite easy to see why this would happen.... why Apple designed it like this is beyond me.

Just take it to an Apple Store and speak to one of the Geniuses. Explain to them very clearly what happened and that you weren't doing anything out of the ordinary. If it's within warranty they should either fix it or issue a replacement :)

sean800

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
Thanks, yeah hopefully they will. I'm going to take it to the apple store in a few days.

Applepi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
I had this happen to me about a month ago. I finally went into the Apple store last weekend and I managed to get them to replace it for free since it's still under warranty. I had to fight them for it and convince them it wasn't my doing though. Good luck.

Licious

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2010
Ottawa
This also happened to me, and when I took it in they tried to tell me it was my doing as well. I was told I was being given a "one time courtesy replacement" because I have Applecare, but any future problems would cost me 114$.
The genius was trying to tell me I caused by leaving it out in the hot sun, because heat can cause it. Of course, I got the bubbling and peeling in the area that gets the hottest on the bottom of my macbook. Hopefully Apple will recognize this as a problem, because I have seen these threads popping up more and more lately.

sky10111

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2010
Yes!

Finally other people with the same problem as me. Mine started out rather small, near the edge of the bottom, but slowly grew. It's become worrisome lately, and I was planning on taking it in, but by the sounds of it, they're in denial that it's a recurring problem.

Applepi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Finally other people with the same problem as me. Mine started out rather small, near the edge of the bottom, but slowly grew. It's become worrisome lately, and I was planning on taking it in, but by the sounds of it, they're in denial that it's a recurring problem.

I thought so too but give it a shot, worst case is they'll say pay up.

sean800

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
Hi, I saw some other people with the same problem posted and just wanted to say that I just went to the apple store, I showed the guy and he said "Hmmmmm, I've never seen this before." Then he called another genius over and asked him and he said he's seen it a couple of times. They ordered me a new bottom part and it's coming in on tuesday, they never tried to tell me it was my fault or anything so I guess i'm lucky:).

TrishD

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2010
I had this happen to my MacBook a few months ago. I took it to the apple store, they put a new bottom piece on, and it was covered under the warranty. Today, it happened again, only this time instead of a bubble, the whole right side of the bottom piece has peeled away leaving a gap. I'm taking it to the genius bar on Sunday, but I suspect there's something else wrong to make it do this twice.

Also, I have done nothing out of the ordinary, especially since the first replacement. I bought the incase. I've never, ever dropped it. And don't leave it lying around.

macmanjim

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2004
I have the same issue. I haven't taken it to the Apple store yet or a service provider, but I will now. it must be a known problem by now. I think it is related to heat.

fritzzz

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2011
I have had the same problem and Apple fixed it. This about1 year ago, now it has don't the same thing again.
I intend to see them again although this computer is now 2 years old, so we will see and for me it will be Macbook pro which has a different case.

paulwaddilove

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2011
I have had the same problem and Apple fixed it. This about1 year ago, now it has don't the same thing again.
I intend to see them again although this computer is now 2 years old, so we will see and for me it will be Macbook pro which has a different case.

I had exactly the same problem, my MacBook bubbled & went hot & very slow approx 6mths after I bought it. I took my MacBook back to PC World, Poole, but they just said they only sell them, if I want it fixed I have to go to an Apple Store or authorised repairer! I found a repairer in Christchurch & took my M/B there. It was then away at their London Branch being repaired for weeks. When I did get it back all they had done was replace the backing plate. My M/B is still slow & approx 2mths ago it did exactly the same again - bubbled the bottom casing. I have now contacted Apple & they are sending me 'FREE OF CHARGE' a replacement bottom casing. But as I said this does not sort out what sent the machine so hot in the 1st place & the fact that it is now soooooo slow. Where do I go from here, I live miles away [2hrs from my nearest Apple Store] Have I go to take it to them? Surely this is 'Sale of Goods Act' faulty product & as such Apple should replace it 'FREE OF CHARGE'? ANYONE FROM APPLE ON THIS FORUM LIKE TO COMMENT?

himanshupant

macrumors newbie
Apr 17, 2010
India
I had exactly the same problem, my MacBook bubbled & went hot & very slow approx 6mths after I bought it. I took my MacBook back to PC World, Poole, but they just said they only sell them, if I want it fixed I have to go to an Apple Store or authorised repairer! I found a repairer in Christchurch & took my M/B there. It was then away at their London Branch being repaired for weeks. When I did get it back all they had done was replace the backing plate. My M/B is still slow & approx 2mths ago it did exactly the same again - bubbled the bottom casing. I have now contacted Apple & they are sending me 'FREE OF CHARGE' a replacement bottom casing. But as I said this does not sort out what sent the machine so hot in the 1st place & the fact that it is now soooooo slow. Where do I go from here, I live miles away [2hrs from my nearest Apple Store] Have I go to take it to them? Surely this is 'Sale of Goods Act' faulty product & as such Apple should replace it 'FREE OF CHARGE'? ANYONE FROM APPLE ON THIS FORUM LIKE TO COMMENT?

Can this cause any damage to the macbook ? I mean to say if we leave it like this could it cause any internal circuitry problem ?

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I purchased the laptop on Jan 2010 so not sure if it would be still covered under warranty

I saw a guy exchanging his Macbook bottom cover this year. My Macbook is the late-2009 unibody one and I got it repaired in 2013... I guess there are good chances that you'll get it replaced for free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.