Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davy.Shalom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
I go to football practice, the air conditioner is on, my powermac is converting video. I get back, it wakes from sleep mode, and the display is pink. I restart it, still pink. Five seconds into this post it turned back to normal. The graphics card is an NVIDIA GeForce 6600. It is a PCIe powermac G5 dual 2.3 GHz. The graphics card has only a heatsink and no fan, so my first guess was that something fried.

Any ideas?

4JNA

macrumors 68000
Feb 8, 2006
looking for trash files
my first thought was display, not video card.

i fix a lot of laptops, and the symptom you described is the same when a laptop LCD screen is going out, or starting to die.

what display are you using, and do you have anything else to test it with?

VanneDC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Dubai, UAE
yeah those 6600le cards are pretty robust, havent heard of many (any) pulling the pin.

Remove, reseat!

see how ya go..

Davy.Shalom

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 23, 2008
Well I changed out the cable for another one, and the colors are back to normal. We'll see if it remains this way.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was the LCD panel going out, the monitor isn't a well known brand. It's an AOC 20 inch VGA monitor that I traded my friend an old PC laptop for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.