Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Would like to download some good multiplayer apps, but haven't had great luck finding many. Any thoughts?

I have:
Checkers HD (you can only play checkers so often)
Let's Golf HD (don't like)
Ludo
10 PinShuffle (a lot of fun)

That's really all I've been able to find. I know a few others out there, but I don't really feel like spending a crap load for say Scrabble.

P.S. When I say Multiplayer I mean person to person, not over the internet.

Man4allsea

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2008
two suggestions

Galcon Fusion, probably the best game out there for multiplayer and scrabble.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I've had some good fun with N.O.V.A HD, and I think Brothers In Arms 2: Global War or something like that. IIRC you can play with up to 4/6 players respectively online.

I've not played it online yet, but what about adrenaline golf HD?

poppe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 29, 2006
Woodland Hills
Galcon Fusion, probably the best game out there for multiplayer and scrabble.

I've had some good fun with N.O.V.A HD, and I think Brothers In Arms 2: Global War or something like that. IIRC you can play with up to 4/6 players respectively online.

I've not played it online yet, but what about adrenaline golf HD?

Are these all multiplayer via online or network? I am not currently looking for games that are multiplayer via networks. I want to play with friends in person by passing the iPad around or using the iPad like a keyboard.

I see scrabble, but I do not really like that game.

ibergu

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
iQuarters
Extreme Hangman
Touch Hockey

All fun. Enjoy!

One caveat - The last two our technically iPhone apps but can be played on the iPad.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Are these all multiplayer via online or network? I am not currently looking for games that are multiplayer via networks. I want to play with friends in person by passing the iPad around or using the iPad like a keyboard.

I see scrabble, but I do not really like that game.
Oh I see, yes they are games played online over a network between iPhone's and iPads or online vs other people.

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Here's some of the multiplayer games that I have fun across. I'm totally addicted to Marble Mixer. Love that game. Also Castle Bash is another favorite. It doesn't have the best graphics, but I loved the old Atari game "Warlords" and Castle Bash is as close as it gets to that game so far. Most of these can be played 2-4 player at the same time on one iPad.

• Padracer
  • Uno HD
  • Ploid
  • globetrotters
  • Air Hockey
  • Marble Mixer for ipad
  • Finger War
  • Multipong
  • Castle Tiles
  • Snail Mail for iPad
  • Bump or Die
  • Castle bash

jeffy777

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2010
Marble Mixer is amazing.

Also.....Boggle, Lux DLX 2, Word Monkey, and Multi Pong are good too.

Saberj

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
I'll add some that you can look into. All of these are either same iPad simultaneous play or pass and play:

TowerMadness - Tower Defense game. Unlock the levels with single player, then compete to see who can handle the levels better.

Harbor Master - Direct ships in and out of the port. Either compete or work together (Although the co-op seems like little more than two people playing the single player mode, except with two scores that combine). This is a favorite of mine

FlightControl HD - Much like Harbor Master, except with planes and helicopters landing rather than boats getting in and out of the docks. I don't like it as much as Harbor Master, but it's still cool.

Small World - A great board game, if you are into that. It's currently only 2 players, but you can now play with another player (Side-by-side or across the table from each other) or AI. Pretty much the best board game adaptation on the system so far.

Werewolf: Curse of the Pandora - If you have a large group of people and are too tech savvy to use cards, this is a cool version of the classic Werewolf/Mafia "deduction" game.

Fruit Ninja HD - Slice up fruit as it flies through the air with your sword, but avoid the bombs. Or play the zen mode where there are no bombs. Playing against each other allows you to throw bombs at each other occasionally.

Also, the two that I have that have been mentioned before but I think deserves another mention due to how much play time they get with my wife and brother: Marble Mixer and Boggle.

In addition, there are a couple great iPhone/iPod games that still make great iPad games. Roll Through the Ages can support as many players as you want to add. It's a dice rolling game. Simple but very fun. Carcassonne is a great adaptation of the tile laying board game. If you've played it, you probably think it's a blast. If not, do yourself a favor and try it out. Both of those games are supposedly getting free upgrades to iPad versions in the future. But you may want to confirm that if it's important to you. Also, Zooloretto is fun. I haven't heard anything about an iPad version, but it would be perfect for it. It's another Board game adaptation where you are trying to build up your zoo by bringing in the right animals to fill your habitats, and sticking concessions outside the right pens in order to make more money off the best attractions you have. Quite fun. 3 players initially, with players 4 and 5 unlockable by playing the game. Both Carcassonne and Zooloretto allow any mix of real players and AI players. So that's cool.

Also, if you find these games fun, you'll want to keep an eye out for Neuroshima Hex, which should be close to releasing it's iPhone version very soon, with the iPad version lingering sometime behind that. However, the iPad version will not be universal, so you will want to hold off until that version is done unless you just don't mind buying a non-optimized version.

Anyway, hope this helps. I've gotten over 24 hours of gaming from my iPad in the week I've owned it, so I understand your needs exactly. Good luck!

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Just came across another excellent multiplayer app for the iPad called Virtuoso Piano Free 2 HD. Yes it's FREE! So that's even better. It's a piano playing simulator with two keyboards laid out on top of one another. By hitting the duet button, the top keyboard turns upside down so someone else can play along with you from the other side when you lay your iPad down. It's very cool, and you can't beat free.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/virtuoso-piano-free-2-hd/id304075989?mt=8

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
Nobody loves racers here?

Asphalt 5 HD. Perfect fun. Great graphics. The challenges are getting really hard after a while. Multiplayer up to six participants (mixed iPhone, iPad) via Bluetooth, Wifi. And online multiplayer.

Real Racing HD. More pure racing, even a bit better controls. Great graphics as well but not as top-notch like Asphalt. The same multiplayer features.

Fendorea

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2009
I tried 'Modern Pong' yesterday for the first time.

Downloaded the free version wich only contains singleplayer, for 2 bucks you have a multiplayer mode. Been playing with a friend for some time and had alot of fun. Just give it a shot.

enrvuk

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2010
I personally like Scrabble for iPad, It's great if each player has an iPhone or iPod Touch as they can use it as their tile rack.

Just like to second this one. No other piece of tech I have owned has had so many wows as Scrabble on the iPad with iPhones/iPod Touches.

Also Boggle HD has a pass and play mode which is good. We play one with the iPad and one with the iPhone and then swap.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.