Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrankin

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2004
Washington, DC
Anyone willing to speculate or offer personal experience about running the PC version of GTA Vice City within Virtual PC 7 on a G5 iMac 20" with 1 gig of RAM?

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Complete and total failure to even start the game? Really: buy a PS2! Then you can play San Andreas in just a few short days. :D

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Speculation: It won't work.

VPC7 isn't much of an update from VPC6. The emulated graphics card is still a liability, and VPC7 still doesn't support much in the way of improved graphics (3d).

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
jrankin said:
Anyone willing to speculate or offer personal experience about running the PC version of GTA Vice City within Virtual PC 7 on a G5 iMac 20" with 1 gig of RAM?
Don't even bother. Virtual PC and DirectX (all versions) DO NOT get along, and GTA Vice City REQUIRES DirectX.
Also, the system requirements for GTA Vice City are totally out of Virtual PC's league, even with a Dual 2.5 GHz G5! Check here.

macfreek57

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
well yeah, especially since they're so cheap and the afore mentioned fact that GTA:San Andreas (which could possibly be the best game ever) comes out in a week!

sounds like an obvious choice, especially if you don't already have VPC.

saunders45

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
macfreek57 said:
afore mentioned fact that GTA:San Andreas (which could possibly be the best game ever) comes out in a week!

HAHA..HAHA..haha.... ha... I'm sorry that's just too funny....

AdamR01

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
wrldwzrd89 said:
Don't even bother. Virtual PC and DirectX (all versions) DO NOT get along, and GTA Vice City REQUIRES DirectX.
Also, the system requirements for GTA Vice City are totally out of Virtual PC's league, even with a Dual 2.5 GHz G5! Check here.

Its not that they dont get along, its that the emulated hardware doesnt support all the features of directx in hardware.

crenz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2003
Shanghai, China
Actually, I tried it on my 1.25 GHz PowerBook, with Virtual PC 6. It's been a while, though, so my memory is hazy. But I think I remember the game itself worked, just not too well.

PS. I recommend playing Pinball Fantasies in DosBox :)

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
AdamR01 said:
Its not that they dont get along, its that the emulated hardware doesnt support all the features of directx in hardware.
That's it AdamR01! You forgot to mention that anything that uses DirectPlay under VPC sounds just AWFUL.

AdamR01

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2003
wrldwzrd89 said:
That's it AdamR01! You forgot to mention that anything that uses DirectPlay under VPC sounds just AWFUL.

You can hear packets?? DirectPlay is the networking component of DirectX. If you mean DirectSound, I've never had any major issues. But, then again I've only even tried older games that might have a remote chance of working. In any case its not that the hardware is not capable or does not get along with DirectX, its just that it is not emulated fast enough. I feel there is a difference.

saunders45

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
I'm laughing at the fact that you said GTA: San Andreas might be the best game ever. Not a chance, nothing innovative about it.

macfreek57

macrumors 6502
Jan 1, 2002
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
sorry to be off topic...

but you really think so?
even if it were a fact that there was nothing innovative (which is an arguable point), it's still at least an improvement on Vice City, which i think is currently the best game ever and was also one of the most innovative games when it was released. and VC is still a pretty unique game.

saunders45

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
Fun, yes. Repetitive, VERY. Innovative, except for motorcycles and a skin change, Vice City is the same as GTA 3.

7on

macrumors 601
Nov 9, 2003
Dress Rosa
saunders45 said:
I'm laughing at the fact that you said GTA: San Andreas might be the best game ever. Not a chance, nothing innovative about it.

They do have more minorities in it. Oooo, and you can ride a bike!!!

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
AdamR01 said:
You can hear packets?? DirectPlay is the networking component of DirectX. If you mean DirectSound, I've never had any major issues. But, then again I've only even tried older games that might have a remote chance of working. In any case its not that the hardware is not capable or does not get along with DirectX, its just that it is not emulated fast enough. I feel there is a difference.
Stupid me - I did mean DirectSound. MIDI sound, for example, sounds choppy under DirectPlay inside of VPC. WAV's a little better.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
7on said:
They do have more minorities in it. Oooo, and you can ride a bike!!!

And swim! (seruiously how annoying was it to die whenever you fell in some water). In the latest trailer movie it looks like you can also skydive (perhaps in one mission only). There are more ways to make money (you can work in a quarry and burgle peoples houses as well as some others). You can pimp up your ride with massive spoilers and the like. The playing area is an order of magnatude bigger (you can get a plane from one side to the other as the drive takes ages).

It's going to be great :)

saunders45

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
So it's the Sims mixed with GTA. 95% of all of today's games aren't innovative. You want innovative, go look at SkyNet for PC. It was the first game to let you run aroundand shoot , fly, and drive all in a 3d environment. And that was back in '95 or '96.

BornAgainMac

macrumors 604
Feb 4, 2004
Florida Resident
saunders45 said:
So it's the Sims mixed with GTA. 95% of all of today's games aren't innovative. You want innovative, go look at SkyNet for PC. It was the first game to let you run aroundand shoot , fly, and drive all in a 3d environment. And that was back in '95 or '96.

I like that game too. I wish the Sims had a GTA feature. I got tired of eating, going to the bathroom, sleeping, and cleaning in the Sims game. At least drive a car around town and break some traffic laws. GTA Lite.

Does SkyNet run on VPC? I remember it being a DOS based game. I hope GTA get's ported to the Mac. It is old enough now.

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
i was dissapointed with GTA:vice city for PS2. before i bought it, i played GTAIII and VC on pc and when i took control on the PS2, i couldn't get into it cause the targeting was just awful.

GTA should be played on a pc. unless they do something better then "pressing R2 to select who you want to shoot" - on PS2. its just easier to target with the mouse. rockstar said that all of those little flaws are going to be fixed; so i'll wait for what they say on the reviews before picking it up.

iriejedi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2000
Nor Cal
XBOX is Cheaper and better

It would be sooo much cheaper and better to buy an XBOX and get both GTA and Vicce cite for less then the cost of the crappy first release of VPC 7.

Just my 2 cents!

jrankin said:

saunders45

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2004
iriejedi said:
It would be sooo much cheaper and better to buy an XBOX and get both GTA and Vicce cite for less then the cost of the crappy first release of VPC 7.

Just my 2 cents!

agreed. With the new holiday pack you can get an xbox, NCAA fotball 2005, top spin, and acontroller for $150, and I've seen the GTA double pack for $20.

Also, i don't know about skynet running on VPC, but I still play it every now and then. It was the game that really got me into multiplayer and pc games. Of course, considering i was like 11, i was pretty much just a console kid before that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.