Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
I have been having issues actually as well. Sometimes my wi-fi will not connect to known networks and just stay on EDGE even though I want it to connect to wi-fi automatically.

Make sure the "Ask to join networks" is off. A restoration of network settings on the phone could be worth a try too (in the options under general)

theunlocker

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
Nothing works. I hate apple honestly. I bought a brand new black 16gb and it had some dead pixels and they gave me a refurb. now my wi-fi doesnt work.

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
Nothing works. I hate apple honestly. I bought a brand new black 16gb and it had some dead pixels and they gave me a refurb. now my wi-fi doesnt work.

A refurb is not the best customer service. Complain to the manager and they should hook you up with a new one. Sorry about the bad luck man.

theunlocker

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
Just scheduled a genius bar apnt. and going to have it looked at. If they can connect it to the apple store wi-fi can I still get a replacement? It won't connect to mine or my friends routers.

benflick

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio
Just scheduled a genius bar apnt. and going to have it looked at. If they can connect it to the apple store wi-fi can I still get a replacement? It won't connect to mine or my friends routers.

I bet the genius will restore, then realize that it still doesn't work, and you'll have a new one

Lightbrazer

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
Where are you trying to use WiFi? It could be the phone (ie the Antenae is busted and fails on all different Wifi networks) or it could be your computer has wifi on but internet sharing OFF so that your phone sees the network but when you try to connect to the net the computer says, nope net sharing is OFF then the phone fails to connect and drops to a 3g/Edge connection to attempt connecting. I personally have gone to FIVE friends houses (all mac owners) who turned on the wifi but failed to go to System preferences/sharing/internet and turn internet sharing ON. If you don't then the wifi is for computer to computer only and won't pass through the connection to the internet for your phone.

VillA

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2009
Bad Luck!!

You wanna hear about "REAL Bad Luck"??

I got myself a brand new iphone 3g (8gb), about 2 days later it started to shut off several times a day without any warning. It also wouldn't allow me to send or receive calls or text messages (so basically what I had was a malfunctioning ipod). Took it to mac and left it there repairing. 10 days later I got it back and the problems I've been having with the calls and messages were still there. So I took it again to mac and left it for another 10 days, when I went to pick it up, they told me that they couldn't fix the problems so they were going to give me a brand new one (not a refurb). About a week after using my new iphone, internet stopped working (both the carriers and wifi) so I took it again to mac and left it for another 10 days. When I got the phone back, wifi still didn't work.

Come monday morning I have to go back to mac and leave it for another 10 days...

At the moment, after 30 days in repair shops, I'm at my second brand new iphone and it still won't work properly...

Consider yourself lucky that is all you went through.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Try a few other wifis also to see if it connects.
It might be a problem with the routers you're testing.
Then in that instance they wont replace it if its not the phones fault.

reza888itp

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
reza888itp

WiFi Problem on iPhone 3GS
I have also faced this problem, I solved it. If this problem pesists please tell, I will explain the way

reza888itp

clintovsina

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
My Bad Luck :(

WiFi Problem on iPhone 3GS
I have also faced this problem, I solved it. If this problem pesists please tell, I will explain the way

reza888itp

I have the exact same problem :( I've spent hours trying to fix it :( How did you do it???

reza888itp

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
reza888itp

Very sorry for delay in reply

Exactly what I have done to solve the problem and achieved:
Go to settings and tuch.................and look for General
go to General and tuch..................and look for Reset
go to Reset and touch...................and look for Reset Network Setting ......
and restart ................................. I found it with corrected the problem:)

reza888itp

stull1je

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2010
Problems

I too am having this problem with my iphone 3GS...
It's been working with my wireless (secured) network at home for the past week and suddenly it won't connect.
It recognizes the network and then, after entering the password, it gives me the message "Unable to connect to ...."
I have already reset network settings, reset my router, changed passwords. Nothing has worked thus far.
Any suggestions>

And Yes I tried the freezer trick :p

TY in advance

reza888itp

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2010
reza888itp

Really frustrating
Actually I have resolved the problem after reset the Network Settings.
However, in my opinion only one possibility is there, that any other network is working in its range.
Please check network name on iPhone, is your Network ‘name.
If the problem persist one more idea to hard restart/reboot
I cannot tell anything more. Please try and Good Luck!

bear1

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2012
wifi and iphpne 3g

Thanks, reza88itp. Your reset instructions worked perfectly for me. Much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.