Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9 to 5 Mac shares a video discovered on YouTube showing a brief clip of the 3 cm x 3 cm touch screen supposedly destined for the next-generation iPod nano rumored for introduction at tomorrow's media event. While we've already seen the small touch screen in photos, the video provides a good demonstration of how the screen (and consequently the device, as rumors have the device being essentially the size of the screen) would look in the hand.

The video also briefly shows off black and white iPhone 4s, while the video and a second one posted on the same account also show the purported next-generation iPod touch digitizer carrying a hole near the top center, presumably to accommodate a front-facing FaceTime camera. Such parts have been well-documented over the last several months.

Article Link: Video of Next-Generation iPod Nano Touch Screen Surfaces

FFArchitect

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2010
Harder for Apple to keep things secret today. Surprised that they've done this well so far.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Talk about spurious inputs! If this is a touch screen, I can see how it would work ok (try touching a tiny link on an iPhone), however, I hope that they don't intend to do too much with a screen this small!

Still, interesting. Can you imagine the postage stamp movie viewing on this thing? ;)

AppleTecFan

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
N/A
White iPhone 4 Looks Fake >.>

The Screen on The White is Smaller Compared To The Black One in My View

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I'd be surprised if that small touch screen is for the Nano. Unless the body is larger, and assuming the touch screen is the size of the Nano based on the leaked cases, then the Nano would lose the video recording capability along with a larger screen. I bet it's for the shuffle, the touch screen will show the album and act as the interface instead of endless clicking on the headphones (love hearing shuffles at the gym, click click click... click click... click click click...)

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
I'd be surprised if that small touch screen is for the Nano. Unless the body is larger, and assuming the touch screen is the size of the Nano based on the leaked cases, then the Nano would lose the video recording capability along with a larger screen. I bet it's for the shuffle, the touch screen will show the album and act as the interface instead of endless clicking on the headphones (love hearing shuffles at the gym, click click click... click click... click click click...)

this would make more sense. but everything points to this being the nano. unless they plan on making the nano cheaper and introducing something else inbetween the touch and nano. all i know is the click wheel is gone. eventually the whole ipod line will look like the touch in different sizes.

backinblack875

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2010
USA
Can anyone translate the language?

彼は彼が述べていることがわからない陽気なホモの日本人である (japanese)
彼は彼がtalkinであるものがについてのわからない陽気なホモの中国人である (chinese)

haha thats my response, i have no clue what he said :D... ik what above says tho:p

CiiD

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2010
Can anyone translate the language?

Yea i hes just talking about the white one finally coming out, that everyone has the black one. He is not sure what the nano screen is, as you heard it could be a the shuffle nano or even a watch, he really doesnt know. Also in the digitizer for the touch he points out the camera hole, but isnt sure what the tiny hole is at the top right corner. It is really small it is maybe a microphone, maybe something else, not sure... my chinese isnt as good when it comes to tech stuff.

vjl323

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2005
Western North Carolina
this would make more sense. but everything points to this being the nano. unless they plan on making the nano cheaper and introducing something else inbetween the touch and nano. all i know is the click wheel is gone. eventually the whole ipod line will look like the touch in different sizes.

Maybe the touch screen we keep seeing is *just* the click wheel? Eg: a non click wheel that is touch activated and even displays a circle. A bit like the third gen iPod.

While i like the touch, i really do like the physical click wheel on my iPods and nanos as it is much easier to operate them blindly due to the physical aspects of the device. Very handy for using an iPod hooked up to a car that doesn't
have built in ipod controls on the steering wheel.

/vjl/

jonessodarally

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2006
If you pause the video and look at the bezel vs. screen size of that small screen, compared to the image of the screen that has been floating around, I'm pretty positive there's more screen to the one in the video. I'll try to do a side-by-side image, but did anyone else notice that?

Major Reeves

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
EUSSR
The problem is that facetime isn't encrypted thus never making it "viable" for communications. So those who do want to use facetime as your main communication tool, beware were you're getting in to. Alas major concerns on iOS security.

Snaaake!

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2010
Long Island, New York
Who is this goon and hoW did he get my white iPhone 4?!?

And all those other manufacturer parts... It's interesting. Perhaps he bought them? Idk. It's like there's a market now for leaked info anyway..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.