Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chell

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
Hey,

is there a way of disabling the voice control feature on the iPhone 4? I'm using the "hold the home button" action for something else by way of Activator and it's annoying that if I hold it a little too long it'll launch voice control.

Thanks!

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Hey,

is there a way of disabling the voice control feature on the iPhone 4? I'm using the "hold the home button" action for something else by way of Activator and it's annoying that if I hold it a little too long it'll launch voice control.

Thanks!

I don't think there is an "official" way to do that, you can disable voice dialing, but that's about it (Settings>General>Passcode Lock>Voice dial), all other voice control will still pop up when holding the Home button.

ROCKERDAN

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2010
Hey,

Thanks!

i hear ya.....

i got my springflash(LED camera flash light) to turn on using home button hold activation.....and if hold it alittle too long it brings up voice control...lol

i usually just hold it a second or so and my light will come on before the VC does most times.

ALWAYSBLESS

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2010
I have the exact same problem spring flash and voice control conflict a vc disable mod would be great

geko29

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2008
The package to do this is called, surprisingly enough, Disable Voice Control. I've tested it on my wife's phone (she has the Switcheasy Colors case with the raised home button, so turns on voice control every other time she puts it in her purse), and it works great.

ALWAYSBLESS

macrumors member
Mar 18, 2010
Just checked it out it sucks that it's a winterboard add on I would be interested in it if it was standalone kinda like the one that disables
Spotlight

polobreaka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
i was also able to disable voice control on by 3GS just by editing the plist. i didnt delete anything as well.

what kind of speed improvement are we talking about with disabling VC?

genetic

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
i was also able to disable voice control on by 3GS just by editing the plist. i didnt delete anything as well.

what kind of speed improvement are we talking about with disabling VC?

i wonder if not deleting that specific file wont show any speed improvements. has anyone seen any improvements with just editing the plist and not deleting the daemon file?

polobreaka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2009
Huntington Beach, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

polobreaka said:
i still havent noticed much speed improvement from just editing the plist. i will try to remove the folder and see what happens. will report back.

So i didnt delete the file, but i renamed it it to 'com.springboard.scrod.plist.bak' Rebooted my phone, not sure if i can say my phone feels faster, maybe its a placebo effect but the graphics seemed smoother.

genetic

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
ill go ahead and back up the daemon and delete it as well as edit the plist file and let you know my findings

genetic

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2008
i havent really noticed any improvement tbh. oh well, i dont use voice control anyway

judge2020

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
aww

neither the cydia tweak or the video helped, apple may've fixed that in ipod touch 4. :'(
waiting for a 5.2 jailbreak(hoping that apple puts a disable voice control option) so my siri works without it being in mobile substrate safe mode.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.