Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vslo

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 9, 2010
Hi guys ,
I am thinking about buying the new apple tv. The thing is, I got a surround sound connected in my iMac and my tv is a little far from it. I want to play the same music both in my home theater connected in my TV and in my sorround connected in my iMac AT THE SAME TIME. Is that possible ? I mean, once I play it on my itunes it start streaming to my apple tv . Is that possible ?
Thank you!

siddavis

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2009
Hi guys ,
I am thinking about buying the new apple tv. The thing is, I got a surround sound connected in my iMac and my tv is a little far from it. I want to play the same music both in my home theater connected in my TV and in my sorround connected in my iMac AT THE SAME TIME. Is that possible ? I mean, once I play it on my itunes it start streaming to my apple tv . Is that possible ?
Thank you!

Yup. Not sure if there will be any delay though with the various processors (iMac surround and home theater receiver) you have involved there, but the sound output of the iMac and the output of the Apple TV will be in sync. I do it all the time, but I usually just choose to output the sound from the home theater connected to the Apple TV.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Yes this is possible. The (current as of this writing/2007 model) Apple TV can work just like an Airport Express. So this means it can stream audio from iTunes with AirTunes. The two outputs are pretty close when it come to being in sync and you can switch between the two or just have one going.

mmomega

macrumors demi-god
Dec 30, 2009
DFW, TX
^^

Agree with above comment on Airport Express. You can play both locations at once.
Let's just hold out until tomorrow is said and done. The new apple tv may be cheaper than the express is :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.