Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
I'm gonna make ya'll a quick little doodle in Photoshop here to explain my situation....

Okay, there. It's basic but it sort of describes what I want to do.

Currently I have a 15" CRT VGA monitor on a bookshelf in my room. Connected to it via a special cable is my Sega Dreamcast. I also have a RCA stereo (not the one pictured) that is connected using a .8mm headphone-style to RCA plugs that are connected to the stereo.

I just ordered a VGA cable for the eMac so I can use the monitor also as a secondary display using the screen spanning hack. However, I'd also like to connect the computer to the stereo while this is being used.

So, my question is: "Is there any sort of switchbox available that I can use that will allow two VGA inputs and two .8mm-style inputs and will output in the same fashion?

I'd like to easily switch between the Computer and the Dreamcast being connected to both the monitor and the stereo without the hassle of disconnecting and reconnecting each time.

Is there such a product available? Where can I pick it up?

Attachments

• crummydiagram.jpg
    crummydiagram.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 130

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Well that's kind of a waste of two ports. Hell if I can get a separate video switch and a separate audio switch I guess I could live with that, though it'd be more expensive.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Yeah that's what I'd like....but uh...$160? Yeesh...I was hoping somewhere between $15 and $35.

Jalexster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2004
A really good KVM switch like one from the Belkin SOHO series, will allow you to switch audio and video.

In fact, it switches VGA/DVI + Audio Out + Audio In + USB + Keyboard + Mouse

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
You could get a standard video (RCA) switch, use the Apple Video connector and .8 to RCA for the eMac and the orginal Dreamcast cord in the inputs, and then connect the RCA output to your monitor and stereo somehow (if the Dreamcast cord is just a VGA-RCA connector cord, that would work, but I'm sure that there is someone out there that has a connector for this (If you are up to it, you could even take a Apple mini-VGA cord and a Apple Video connector with mini VGA and connect the VGA pins with some wire.....)

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
Nah, that's won't work...

I already ordered the eMac VGA cable, for one.

And the VGA cable I use with the DC is a VGA-only deal.

dc-vgacable.jpg

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
You can use the eMac VGA cable...here...let me put it in a picture for you (attatched).

These are the parts you need:

RCA Video Switch
2 miniVGA to RCA adapters
miniVGA to VGA adapter
1 VGA cord (unless your monitor has one bulit in)
3 RCA cords
line out to RCA adapter
Dreamcast RCA cord
1 custom bulit miniVGA to miniVGA cable (just connect connector to connector...pretty easy to make)

Attachments

• setup.jpg
    setup.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 118

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
That's a fine idea except for the fact that I'll have to order 2 more of the mini-VGA to RCA and mini-VGA to VGA adapters (Which'll get REALLY freakign expensive), and having an RCA connection to the Computer Monitor means I'll lose the "True VGA Quality" I get from using a special VGA cable from the DC to the monitor.

MacFan25863

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2004
neoelectronaut said:
That's a fine idea except for the fact that I'll have to order 2 more of the mini-VGA to RCA and mini-VGA to VGA adapters (Which'll get REALLY freakign expensive), and having an RCA connection to the Computer Monitor means I'll lose the "True VGA Quality" I get from using a special VGA cable from the DC to the monitor.

I'm almost positive that the Dreamcast outputs RCA quality anyway, and the VGA cable just converts the picture. That means that you will get the same, if not better, quality. The only place you will loose quality is the eMac screen, but there is nothing you can really do about that. In total, this runs you about $80, which is still $50 cheeper than every other solution offered.

The only other way to do this, really, would be to buy a VGA switch and a seperate audio switch, but that would run you about $70.

neoelectronaut

Cancelled
Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
MacFan25863 said:
I'm almost positive that the Dreamcast outputs RCA quality anyway, and the VGA cable just converts the picture. That means that you will get the same, if not better, quality. The only place you will loose quality is the eMac screen, but there is nothing you can really do about that. In total, this runs you about $80, which is still $50 cheeper than every other solution offered.

The only other way to do this, really, would be to buy a VGA switch and a seperate audio switch, but that would run you about $70.

No, when you connect a Dreamcast to a VGA monitor using an official or third-party VGA Box/Cable, it outputs it to TRUE VGA QUALITY. So much so that folks with HDTVs shell out the big bucks to get VGA to component converters. Some have said that the Dreamcast looks even better on HDTVs than the Cube, PS2, and XBox do.

Too bad there's no way I can't just use my eMac as a screen. That would solve anything.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.