Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronchow

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 29, 2007
Rental only, no purchase... Am I the only person really concern about this? So I have purchased a collection of movie, so does that mean I have to pay again whenever I want to watch my library??

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Rental only, no purchase... Am I the only person really concern about this? So I have purchased a collection of movie, so does that mean I have to pay again whenever I want to watch my library??

No, I think it sucks as well. Granted I can still stream from my computer but now no purchasing on the ATV itself:mad:

Jeff5i

macrumors 6502
May 4, 2005
I wonder if we can stream Xvid, or MKV from our Macs to the new Apple TV.

Jeff

MotionxxUSxx

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2007
on the website it says stream photos and music. It does not mention video. That would really suck.

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
If i cant buy on device, im going to start buying DvDs and BlueRays more often.
I have a 2TB ATV library of TV series and Movies. all purchased via ATV and synced back to iTunes.

I have rented probably 4 movies maybe 5 since i bought my ATV when it was released in 06. I would NEVER rent a TV show, id either watch it FREE TO AIR, or buy the series as a job lot because i want to watch that show many times.

TV Rentals = FAIL
No Purchase on device = FAIL

lets hope they don't go for strike 3, forcing 1st gen ATV redundancy like they did with the iPhone 1G

coyotegospel

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2009
on the website it says stream photos and music. It does not mention video. That would really suck.

The website clearly says:
"Everything you want to watch — movies, TV shows, photos, and more — streams wirelessly to Apple TV."

The only thing you can't do is make purchases from the device which I don't really see as a big deal. Most of the purchases from iTunes I've ever made were sitting at my computer. Nothing changes. Purchase shows on your computer, stream to your AppleTV.

The only thing you lose is the ability to store some things natively so that you can watch something even if your internet goes out.

darkgroove

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
This makes sense for the real casual user who doesn't want to deal with any media. It also now makes more sense than ever to buy a Mac mini if you actually want to save and watch your movie collection.

I think this is a step in the right direction. For people who wanted to stream stuff, the ATV was too expensive. For people that wanted to really manage their collections, it was too small (HD space) and underpowered.

They just made everything a whole lot more clear for people.

colinmack

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2006
This makes sense for the real casual user who doesn't want to deal with any media. It also now makes more sense than ever to buy a Mac mini if you actually want to save and watch your movie collection.

I think this is a step in the right direction. For people who wanted to stream stuff, the ATV was too expensive. For people that wanted to really manage their collections, it was too small (HD space) and underpowered.

They just made everything a whole lot more clear for people.

I disagree - streaming is fine (I bring content on the iPod/iPhone if I go to the cottage, so streaming and no hard disk is not a big deal for me), but some of the changes they made have taken the device a step backwards (like bastardizing the integration of online rental content and user content - there's really no good reason why a "My Movies" option couldn't be automatically added to the Movies section if a default computer is online and has content to stream). Some of those UI decisions are just odd, and very un-Apple-like (Apple isn't typically known for creating awkward and clumsy UI/design).

There's no good reason the device couldn't have been a much better balancing act for anyone watching content on their TV, regardless of the source...but I guess you don't assign your prize developers to the hobby projects ;-)

myuserid08

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2008
I disagree - streaming is fine (I bring content on the iPod/iPhone if I go to the cottage, so streaming and no hard disk is not a big deal for me), but some of the changes they made have taken the device a step backwards (like bastardizing the integration of online rental content and user content - there's really no good reason why a "My Movies" option couldn't be automatically added to the Movies section if a default computer is online and has content to stream). Some of those UI decisions are just odd, and very un-Apple-like (Apple isn't typically known for creating awkward and clumsy UI/design).

There's no good reason the device couldn't have been a much better balancing act for anyone watching content on their TV, regardless of the source...but I guess you don't assign your prize developers to the hobby projects ;-)

How can you say streaming is fine, quite a few of us still have poor internet connections!

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
We've got two Apple TVs now. It's been great for watching movies for our kids. We've bought quite a few of those movies on iTunes.

The new model knocks us out of ever buying one.

Paying $4.99 every time the kids want to watch Toy Story 3 when it comes out isn't something that will ever happen in our house.

Guess I'll have to go back to buying the disc and ripping it.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
We've got two Apple TVs now. It's been great for watching movies for our kids. We've bought quite a few of those movies on iTunes.

The new model knocks us out of ever buying one.

Paying $4.99 every time the kids want to watch Toy Story 3 when it comes out isn't something that will ever happen in our house.

Guess I'll have to go back to buying the disc and ripping it.

Did you read any of the replies?

You can BUY it on your computer and stream it. And Airplay will let you stream from your iPhone, iPad etc soon..

Corndog5595

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010
the keynote (not surprisingly) didn’t mention the resolution that it will output and stuff like that. Does anybody know as of yet?

diabolic

macrumors 68000
Jun 13, 2007
Austin, Texas
Did you read any of the replies?

You can BUY it on your computer and stream it. And Airplay will let you stream from your iPhone, iPad etc soon..

Thanks for the clarification. I jumped to an incorrect conclusion. If there won't be any changes regarding what video is available for purchase in iTunes, then I'll be fine.

I am worried they are heading toward a pay-per-view model on all their video content though. I'm sure the studios would love it.

I don't mind the lack of local storage, streaming has worked pretty well for me on my network.

the keynote (not surprisingly) didn’t mention the resolution that it will output and stuff like that. Does anybody know as of yet?

720p only.

From Apple.com:
Compatible with high-definition TVs with HDMI and capable of 720p 60/50Hz,2 including popular models from these manufacturers: Hitachi, JVC, LG, Mitsubishi, NEC, Panasonic, Philips, Pioneer, Samsung, Sony, Sharp, Toshiba, Vizio, Westinghouse

Mexcelsior

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2008
No purchase on AppleTV

OK... this is crazy! Why wouldn't Apple want to sell content on the AppleTV. First, I understand that they want it to be easy to use and no syncing, but this should at least be something that someone a bit more familiar should be able to turn on in the settings. How hard would it be for the AppleTV to purchase and sync to a library.

There's a reason why remotes controls were invented... I don't want to get up to go purchase, but instead by able to purchase with a click.

I wonder if the purchase feature will go bye-bye with any software updates for the older ATVs?

Sparced

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2007
I don't want to rent TV Shows. I've bought a few seasons of things I like when sitting down stairs. Same with am few albums while browsing the iTunes store.

I've mainly rented Movies but a couple of times when they've been for sale to buy for £3.99 to keep I've thought my not.

Unless I can share a Netflix subscription with a friend who lives in a different. house I don't see any benefit over the older model.

ATV Flash > Old :apple: TV > New :apple: TV

tommylotto

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2004
Relax Francis.

If you want to buy a movie, just buy it from your computer, then stream it to the new AppleTV. The only limitation is that you cannot buy from the couch, you have to buy from the desk chair. Not that bad.

You can still rent from the couch.

kemperman

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2009
UK
Relax Francis.

If you want to buy a movie, just buy it from your computer, then stream it to the new AppleTV. The only limitation is that you cannot buy from the couch, you have to buy from the desk chair. Not that bad.

i can purchase from the couch. when they release iOS 4.2 and I have iTunes 10. i just have to use my iPad and stream from there!

Personally i don't have a problem with this new :apple:tv. i have had one since they launched in the UK and the only thing stopping me buying one for the bedroom was the £200+ price tag. I may just buy this.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
I wonder if we can stream Xvid, or MKV from our Macs to the new Apple TV.

Jeff

I'm sure a few hacks will come along, but for now streaming content from a computer is very limited. h.264 content is the only format worth borthering with out of the box.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
Relax Francis.

You can even buy it on an iPhone or iPad and stream it.

panzer06

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2006
Kilrath
How can you say streaming is fine, quite a few of us still have poor internet connections!

Would I be correct in assuming all the iTunes content on my Mac would stream to this new device? Can we stream from all the Macs even if they are synced to different accounts?

Cheers,

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ

It's a fair minimum to believe customers can stream 720p video in 2010. Even my iPhone, on AT&T's new 2-3mbp/s 3G network was able to stream 720p video from Netflix (through a jailbreak tethering hack). There's such a low amount of customers who won't be able to steam content, that it's fair to assume they won't want an Apple TV, anyway, and the other 1% should complain to their ISP or upgrade their plan.

Streaming videos to the Apple TV is great. It makes it dirt cheap and you still get the same content, and you don't have to decide "hey, I'll delete this season to make room for this show. Oh wait, I'll never download the season again even though I paid for it. Hmm."

RangerMike

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
Stupid

This sucks. Sure I can buy it from my computer, but why. I thought this was about convienence. Also, why does everything have to be so small? What is Apple's fascination with small? Not everything has to be miniscule, especially when you take away functonality

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
This sucks. Sure I can buy it from my computer, but why. I thought this was about convienence. Also, why does everything have to be so small? What is Apple's fascination with small? Not everything has to be miniscule, especially when you take away functonality

Adding a hard drive at least doubles the cost. Then, you have the remaining hardware that fits in a small box. The old Apple TV is still available starting at $229 and it'll get a new software update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.