Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
I tried to install some memory just now and can't seem to.
It says to insert and ress getly to lock into place. I see that it only fits one way and that the notch in the middle has t align. So I know it's the only way it can go in but the little rubber latches won't hook onto the knoches.
I don't want to force it.
Help??
Brenda

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
Nevermind

Nevermind, I don't think this is the right size for my machine.
Luckily the seller offered to refund if it didn't work.
Brenda

brobson said:
I tried to install some memory just now and can't seem to.
It says to insert and ress getly to lock into place. I see that it only fits one way and that the notch in the middle has t align. So I know it's the only way it can go in but the little rubber latches won't hook onto the knoches.
I don't want to force it.
Help??
Brenda

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Brenda,

Is there a label on the RAM with any information about it? If so, can you post it? If not, maybe you can post a picture of it and we can let you know if it looks like DDR RAM. Also, post anything the seller told you about the memory.

Before you take the time (and spend the money) to send it back to the seller, we might be able to confirm if it should work or not.

By the way, iMac G5 RAM installation is pretty easy, but definitely requires more than a "gentle" push to lock the memory into place. Obviouslly, you want to be careful about pushing too hard, but the RAM doesn't just slide into place.

stillwater

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2004
Rowley, MA
Press firmly

Hi, Brenda, its Darrel.

I'm sure that the memory will fit your iMac. It really does require firm pressure to insert it in the slot. There's a PDF you can download from Apple's support site that has complete illustrated instructions for installing the memory in your iMac.

Don't give up now, you're almost there. :)

spencecb

Suspended
Nov 20, 2003
I had to press fairly hard when I was installing my RAM into my iMac G5...they need to reword their instructions :)

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
YES!!!!!!

It's a 128 match!
Thank you Darrel and Elan!!

The memory fit with a healthy push. I agree with Spencerb that they need to clarify that because there was no way I was going to ruin Darrel's memory or my Imac. (I was rather frazzled because I stripped one of my screws on the side trying to open it the first time-it was late and the Red Sox game was on :eek: )
Do any of you think that will be a problem? Should I go in and have it fixed??? :confused:
Brenda

Overall quite happy however :D :

Elan0204

macrumors 65816
Apr 16, 2002
Chicago, IL
Good to hear you get your RAM working Brenda (and with a 128 bit memory bus)! Installation really does require more than just a gentle push, and I agree that Apple needs to make that clearer. I actually had a pretty difficult time getting one of my RAM chips in, and it took a surprising amount of force to get it working.

Brenda, which screw exactly did you strip (I'm guessing you mean one of 3 on the bottom of your iMac that you use to open the computer)? Is it completely stripped (so you can't turn it at all), or did you just take off a little of the metal? It sounds like you can still screw your iMac closed, so the screw must still be somewhat functional. If that is the case, you shouldn't have much to worry about.

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
Hi Elan
The screw won't turn. It's at the corner opposite the memory area.
It seems ok, support wise.
Brenda

Elan0204 said:
Good to hear you get your RAM working Brenda (and with a 128 bit memory bus)! Installation really does require more than just a gentle push, and I agree that Apple needs to make that clearer. I actually had a pretty difficult time getting one of my RAM chips in, and it took a surprising amount of force to get it working.

Brenda, which screw exactly did you strip (I'm guessing you mean one of 3 on the bottom of your iMac that you use to open the computer)? Is it completely stripped (so you can't turn it at all), or did you just take off a little of the metal? It sounds like you can still screw your iMac closed, so the screw must still be somewhat functional. If that is the case, you shouldn't have much to worry about.

stillwater

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2004
Rowley, MA
brobson said:
Hi Elan
The screw won't turn. It's at the corner opposite the memory area.
It seems ok, support wise.
Brenda

First, I'm happy to hear the memory matches. :)

Second, bummer about the screw. Is it stuck in the unscrewed position? When I backed the screws out on mine, they did reach a stop in the case. It looked to me like the screws at the corners are part of a mechanism that moves a latch that captures a pin in the side of the case. Maybe the screw is just hard against the stop and it will take a little extra torque to get it turning. Or maybe the mechanism is jammed.

If you're afraid of breaking something, are you close enough to an Apple store to let them try it?

brobson

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 13, 2004
Dallas
hmmm

I have a hunch since I didn't buy it there they aren't going to want to touch it.
I wish I had.
Thanks
Brenda

stillwater said:
First, I'm happy to hear the memory matches. :)

Second, bummer about the screw. Is it stuck in the unscrewed position? When I backed the screws out on mine, they did reach a stop in the case. It looked to me like the screws at the corners are part of a mechanism that moves a latch that captures a pin in the side of the case. Maybe the screw is just hard against the stop and it will take a little extra torque to get it turning. Or maybe the mechanism is jammed.

If you're afraid of breaking something, are you close enough to an Apple store to let them try it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.