Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jxyama

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 3, 2003
i just got a brand new LaCie external FW HD and it's been acting flaky every since i got it. i wanted to partition it into two, and when i do that using disk utility, many times, one of the two volumes won't mount. instead, i just see a disk ID (i.e. disk1s3) and the voume doesn't mount when the drive is powered up.

in the case it mounts, it also automatically dismounts when i run disk utility to verify the disk...

before someone suggests me to purchase a disk warrior or something (this is a brand new HD, i'm not paying $80 to buy a program to fix it...), does any one know what's going on? this is the same HD i've had problem cloning on because during the process of cloning, there's input/output error on the ext. HD and cloning quits. :confused:

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
If it's any consolation, this very same thing happened with our Lacie Big Disk Extreme (320gb FW 800) which, like yours, was partitioned into 2 partitions...

One of the partitions was stupidly unmounted (by me) and nothing I could do with Disk Utility or rebooting could get the damn thing back.

Fortunately, it was blank but I had to back up the other partition onto a Mac and reformat & repartition the drive.

No probs since but I wasn't happy about this and am keeping a beady eye on it. Maybe FW & partitioning just don't go with Lacie HDs... maybe it's a Panther thing...

If anybody has any great ideas, I'll also be keen to know what they are just in case it happens again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.