Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thedarkside

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
i've got a video that's in .mov format that was accidentally deleted off the camera roll, but luckily i had copied it over to the computer before.
so i am wondering how do i put it back into the camera roll section? i've tried SSHing and putting it back in, but the video just doesn't show up after putting it in the correct directory.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

iceterminal

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2008
Dallas Tx.
Can you describe what you're wanting/trying to do?

When you take a video with your iPhone 4, its automatically saved to your camera roll. But when you sync it via iTunes, its put onto your iPod app under the videos.
Are you asking how to sync a video to the phone, but put it on the camera roll instead of the iPod app?

If so, I'm not sure thats possible. But I haven't googled it.

Mbcharles

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2009
-Sync your phone with iTunes
-Go to "Photos" tab
-Check box for "Include Video"

You're welcome

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
i've got a video that's in .mov format that was accidentally deleted off the camera roll, but luckily i had copied it over to the computer before.
so i am wondering how do i put it back into the camera roll section? i've tried SSHing and putting it back in, but the video just doesn't show up after putting it in the correct directory.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you have a mac drag the video from it's location into the photos section in iphoto then you can drag it into the "iPhone photos folder"

Check include videos under photos tab in iTunes and sync iphone and you're all done :)

thedarkside

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
the doesnt sync the video because my itunes library was complelely deleted due to some error i had to clear it all off.
i need a manual way to add it back into the camera roll section.

thedarkside

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
If you have a mac drag the video from it's location into the photos section in iphoto then you can drag it into the "iPhone photos folder"

Check include videos under photos tab and sync iphone and you're all done :)
i have a pc.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Once it's in the computer it's treated like any other video. You need to put it into iTunes and then sync it to the iPhone's iPod app.

There's not an easy way to get stuff back in the camera roll itself.

thedarkside

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 1, 2010
Once it's in the computer it's treated like any other video. You need to put it into iTunes and then sync it to the iPhone's iPod app.

There's not an easy way to get stuff back in the camera roll itself.
i dont want to put it in the ipod app...
i need it in the camera roll.

annan21

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
Get an app called Downloads, it has a light version. You can transfer videos off your harddrive onto it when you hook up your phone, through the apps tab in itunes (as long as you have a newer verion of itunes). At the bottom of the screen there is an add button. Once it's on your phone you can go into the file section and bring up the file and you will get an option "add to photos" which will add it to your camera roll.

ETA: sorry I just noticed that your format is mov and there does not appear to be that option with those, but it works for mp4 files. You could maybe convert it if it's really important to you.

abavetta

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2009
Tnanks Worked Great

Get an app called Downloads, it has a light version. You can transfer videos off your harddrive onto it when you hook up your phone, through the apps tab in itunes (as long as you have a newer verion of itunes). At the bottom of the screen there is an add button. Once it's on your phone you can go into the file section and bring up the file and you will get an option "add to photos" which will add it to your camera roll.

ETA: sorry I just noticed that your format is mov and there does not appear to be that option with those, but it works for mp4 files. You could maybe convert it if it's really important to you.

Great suggestion, Thanks, Very simple.

Legios

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2012
I think I have done this before, email yourself the video, then open that email on your phone and forward it, an option from that forward feature should be to download the video and that should add it to your roll. I think thats how I did it.

skirkman98

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2012

What version of iTunes do you need to transfer videos off your hardrive through the apps tab, and how would you do it? I cant seem to figure out how to add photos via the app tab.

----------

Oh never mind. I got it onto the Downloads app, but the movie (which is in .mov format) just shows a black screen whenever I try to play it. And when I add it to photos, nothing shows up...

kiwisnpears

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2012
Camera Roll

The easiest way to get the video back onto the camera roll would be to email the video as an attachment to yourself. Once you've sent it, go on your iPhone to open the email and you'll be able to save the video onto your camera roll. You must first download the video and then hold to choose the option "save video."

Hope this helps!

anaksutti

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2012
Figured it out!

Hopefully this answers your question. I have the same problems transferring videos to my camera roll once i have deleted them and unfortunately I can't always email myself the file because the files size is too large. To get a video back into your camera roll:

(MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP YOUR DEVICE PRIOR TO DOING THIS.)

1) Connect your iPhone/iPad to your computer.
2) Launch iTunes.
3) Select your device on the left panel.
4) Click 'Photos' and check the 'Sync Photos from' box.
5) Choose the folder where your video is saved. (i.e. My Pictures)
6) Check the box that says 'Include videos'
7) Click 'Sync'.

This will place your video back in your camera roll.

Goodluck! Works like a charm for me. (Note: I am running iTunes 10.7.0.21)

hkfan24

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Only thing you can really do now is take the video on your computer and download a software that converts it to mp4 or m4v formats. after converting, drag it to your iTunes screen, then sync to your phone.

pure3d2

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2012
Hopefully this answers your question. I have the same problems transferring videos to my camera roll once i have deleted them and unfortunately I can't always email myself the file because the files size is too large. To get a video back into your camera roll:

(MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP YOUR DEVICE PRIOR TO DOING THIS.)

1) Connect your iPhone/iPad to your computer.
2) Launch iTunes.
3) Select your device on the left panel.
4) Click 'Photos' and check the 'Sync Photos from' box.
5) Choose the folder where your video is saved. (i.e. My Pictures)
6) Check the box that says 'Include videos'
7) Click 'Sync'.

This will place your video back in your camera roll.

Goodluck! Works like a charm for me. (Note: I am running iTunes 10.7.0.21)

I'm going to try this out. Thanks!

daremigio

macrumors newbie
Mar 6, 2014
Easiest Solution: Video Camera app

Hi guys,

I also had this problem. But i discovered an app called Video Camera. It has a blue icon. What it does is you can record a video, choose what resolution you want, and then save it. Once saved, you can share it to your camera roll.

Now here's how you can put a video from your computer, to your camera roll.
1.) Connect your iPhone to iTunes.
2.) Under the Apps tab, go to the "Files Sharing" section.
3.) You will see the Video Camera app there. Click it and there is an option to "Add".
4.) Click "Add" and choose your video.
5.) Now go back to your Video Camera app in your iPhone and you will see your video there.
6.) Choose your video and share it to your Camera Roll!!!!!!!
7.) Friggin' eeeezy. No stress.

I hope this helps. Annyeonghi Kyeseyo!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.