Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I know this is iTunes library centric right now where it will play your h.264/mp4 files out of iTunes, but I feel like that is a step backwards if I were to buy this.

Right now, on my iPhone 4, I can stream any format video from my computer, from avi to mkv, and it will live-convert while sending it over the air in real time. With the component cable from Apple, I output the 720p video to my HDTV and it looks great.

Since this thing runs a modified iOS, there MUST be a way to shoehorn Air Video capabilities onto it. It takes zero extra processing power and no storage (other than 10mb for the app) on the iOS device's side of things.

Anyone else thinking the same thing? I feel that without storage it's gonna be a fun year full of "Micro USB port for service and support only" jailbreaking, heh.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
I think that'll happen when we can get Air Video on it... either officially through Apps, or through jailbreaking.... :D

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
The new Apple TV has a new AirPlay feature. You can start up a video on your iphone, ipod touch, or ipad and then tap the new Airplay thing and the video will start playing on your Apple TV streamed over the Wifi network.

So if you start up a .mkv video using Air Video (or any other video playing app) on your iphone, you should be able to AirPlay it to your Apple TV. We won't know for sure exactly how it works until it's released.

pdutta2000

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2008
Anyone have an AppleTV with Air Video as well?

Does anyone out there who is set to receive or already received an AppleTV have Air Video as well? I'd love to hear if you are able to stream a video via Air Video to your iOS device and then use Air Play to stream that to the AppleTV. My gut says it won't work but IF IT DOES...that will be killer. It will make the AppleTV a no-brainer for me. I'm debating between the AppleTV and the new Roku XDS and this feature will close the deal. Thanks.

newagemac

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2010
Does anyone out there who is set to receive or already received an AppleTV have Air Video as well? I'd love to hear if you are able to stream a video via Air Video to your iOS device and then use Air Play to stream that to the AppleTV. My gut says it won't work but IF IT DOES...that will be killer. It will make the AppleTV a no-brainer for me. I'm debating between the AppleTV and the new Roku XDS and this feature will close the deal. Thanks.

Airplay won't work with video until iOS 4.2 is officially released. However, 4.2 beta is out for people with a developer's account but who knows if that part has been enabled yet in the beta. What we do know is that audio works on 3rd party apps in the beta Airplaying to the Airport Express. The only device so far that supports Airplay with video is the new Apple TV so that's why no one knows for sure yet.

My guess is that yes it will work but we will have to see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.