Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zxcvb

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
what happened with beautiful color icons? now they are all grey, is that supposed to make itunes faster?

California King

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
Probably because all OS X icons are also 1 color. Just makes things easier on the eyes for some people, I guess.

lbro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2009
what happened with beautiful color icons? now they are all grey, is that supposed to make itunes faster?

I guess the designers at Apple thought grey looks better. I liked the colored icons better too.

XianPalin

macrumors 6502
May 26, 2006
Came on here to see if anyone else had the problem or if they forgot to include the colors in my download :)

techfreak85

macrumors 68040
Jan 13, 2008
Places
Because listening to music correctly requires no external color bias. It can distract from the true tone of the music. Plus, it gets you in the depressed mood that the artist was in when he wrote the music.

nbnbxdnb

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
That universal grey color works for me. I think it looks fantastic, except the new icon.

Dejital

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
Removing color from the little icons makes navigation more tough. Making everything look grey and hazy worsens that problem.

tjwaido

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2008
The wild west.
Default Option: Colors "On"

I am not a fan of the gray scale of the icons. That is sore on the eyes for me. Color helps me navigate more easily.

I wouldn't mind seeing an option to turn the colors "on", because that is what I prefer. By default the colors should be on, if others want it off, so be it.

The icon is not a big deal for me, as you can change that by highlighting the iTunes icon in Finder, command-I, and change the icon if you know how using copy and paste with an older version icon in the iTunes Info window.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I posted this in the other iTunes thread but I noticed this one too so I figured I'd drop it here too:

I hate the lack of colors in iTunes 10, so I did a little ThemePark rsrc hacking and put the colored icons from 9.2 back into 10. It's not perfect, but I didn't want to waste too much time on it, and it looks alright on my computer for the icons that I use regularly.

Download (zip, 11.1mb)

Instructions included.

Enjoy, and feel free to let me know if you see an icon that should be fixed—I didn't check that they all look normal. :p

- Small size only.
- Some may be broken.
- No guarantees.

edit: so I totally underestimated the demand for this and blew through 80gb of bandwidth on this file alone. :eek: Someone has mirrored it here: http://obamapacman.com/2010/09/how-to-add-color-icons-apple-itunes-10-gray-sidebar-mod/

JCMusic

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2008
Could have had a choice?

I miss the colors. They could have offered a choice to use colors or not via preferences?

fatfreddy

macrumors newbie
Sep 4, 2009
I like the new icon it reminds me of the 'Fluidtunes' icon. I don't really mind the lack of colour, because once I've chosen the album I want to listen to I just close the iTunes window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.