Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tiiim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
Hello,

While I have always been for the Apple TV as the concept of is superb, from a UK point of view, is it worth it?

While I would be happy the day we weren't reliant on satellite or cable. It just appears that if you have either of these services you would prob already get the films you need. Moreover with the likes of Sky Player/the new Anytime+, VM VOD service, I cant help thinking the Apple TV is going to take a bit more persuading over here.

I dont think Apple is to blame at all for this, as they would happily get very cheap shows and films to us, its more to do with the studios.

Anyone from the UK buying this? if so i be interesting to know your reasoning. I am deffo very interested in getting one and have been looking forward to this announcement (like everyone else) for ages but in the likes of other services I am struggling to find a good reason. My only main pro for it is you get the most up to date films and Apple never "shuffle" their back catalogue which is a strong argument for it.

I be interested to hear other UK buyers viewpoints before I make a decision. :)

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
I have bought one to stream movies from my MBP to my HD TV and thats about it. Im not really into renting films as such.

I have a V+ box in my room so normally record the film if its ever on, never rented a film since ive had it. Im sure i will rent a couple of films on the new Apple TV.

I dont think i ever will stream my music, but never know.

tiiim

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2005
What TV networks are available on UK iTunes?

While i dont have specifics to hand there is a lot of shows. However there also a few key shows that the cable/satelite operators have the monoply over which are not on iTunes. Over in the UK the broadcasters are in the habit of making licensing deals to stop other people getting the stuff.

Revels

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2008
I'm considering it but with a US iTunes account. Doesn't seem worth it with a UK one.

onetoescape

macrumors newbie
May 11, 2010
I am on the fence with this. What has put me off as silly as it sounds is the price. At £99 it is little more I was will to pay as it is $99. The reason I am considering it though to answer your main question is that DVD's get scraped to bits in my house with the 4 kids. There is also fighting over which DVDs to watch. I am picking an Ipad up at the end of the month and I am thinking of getting an Apple TV as well just to try it out as I am going to start buying some films and shows of itunes now when I get the Ipad. If it works I may then extend it round the house.

I would think we should get a Lovefilm app for this and at least an Iplayer app (are they apps but you know what I mean!) for the apple tv. I wouldn't be suprised if the Sky Player made an appearance as well.

tiptopp

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2008
Norwich, UK
What about Airplay?

I'm wondering whether Airplay will fix it for us, and at least allow BBC iPlayer to work. If you look at the description of Airplay at the bottom of this page (http://www.apple.com/uk/appletv/), it says that you start playing a movie on your iPhone, then tap the Airplay icon, then it streams. Is it actually a different media player that plays iPlayer content? Or won't the same icon be available?

I'm guessing that, at this stage, Apple will control it pretty tightly, but it does seem that either through Apple releasing the Airplay functionality in iOS to developers, or through jailbreaking, a lot more functionality will come to the Apple TV (or rather via it, as it's only a streaming device...)

TT

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.