Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you buying a new Appletv?

• Yes

Votes: 104 47.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 51 23.5%
  • No

Votes: 62 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bufordt

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2007
Buying a new Apple TV

Yep, Ordered ours yesterday afternoon. Thing only cost 79.00 The remote is 20.00 Doesn't seem like a bad deal to me.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I've got the old Apple TV and 95% of the time it's just used for Air Tunes. I'm looking for a better video streamer but the new Apple TV doesn't impress.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I have the older version that I've replaced with with an LG 570 Blu Ray, the new ATV has not added any abilities and have lost a few. The LG Plays Blu Rays, AVCHD and Divx HD up to 1080p, all sorts of formats from a DLNA Server, Has Netflix, Vudu, Cinemanow, pandora, picasa, youtube... so no.

guitargoddsjm

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2008
MA
I was in the market for a iTunes & Netflix streamer, so I ordered one from Amazon last night.

I was considering a new Xbox 360 (especially w/ full HD output and live ESPN content), but with the higher price tag, the cost of xbox live, it requiring more steps to setup than airplay, and my lack of time for video games, the ATV seemed like a better option.

pjarvi

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2006
Clovis, CA
The new AppleTV removes features that the current model has only to offer TV Show rentals and Netflix in return. No thanks. I already have 2 devices hooked up to my TV that can stream Netflix just fine, and have zero interest in renting TV shows. The only thing whatsoever that interests me with the new AppleTV is the A4 processor, as anyone with the current model knows how slow it can be to navigate through menus or launch a movie that has iTunes Extras.

I just hope they don't block the current gen from being able to continue buying movies & tv shows. Easily 90% of the movies I have purchased over the last 4 years I purchased through my AppleTV, over 160 to date.

cantthinkofone

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2004
Missouri, USA
I already have a 360 and netflix... no need for another box.

Same here. I scoffed when steve said the apple tv netflix interface was the most beautiful. The xbox 360's interface looks just fine to me, and I'm sure the PS3's looks just as good.

Less horn blowing, more practical useful features. I don't care how shiny the magical broom is, if it sweeps my floor just as good as the other broom sorry.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Nope. I have 2 of the last gen model and both do exactly what I need. In fact, just ordered another 160 GB first gen model from Apple Store clearance to eventually replace my kids :apple:TV which has their entire library of kids movies synced to the internal HDD, a necessity when one doesn't have access to ethernet or a strong wifi signal in that part of the house.

Add an App Store so that we can have access to more online content and support 1080p (so I can stream my own 1080p content) and I'll consider it.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
360 netflix interface sucks. I don't like the 360 inherent way of scrolling right to left and only being able to choose the title on the left side of the screen. Doesn't seem natural to look at left side of the tv screen for your selection. Then using the bumper buttons to get through your queue or any list? Doesn't feel right. Bumpers are secondary buttons. Meanwhile triggers go super fast through the relatively short list of movie lists.

Left stick only slowly goes through movies one at a time. No right stick use? It's a strange interface.

And it's annoying how you click on the movie and then get 3 more little windows or "cover arts" with the last covered up until you scroll over towards it There's room on the screen. Just display all the dam information. Hell they could display the information of the selected movie on the bottom of the screen in the first place without having to click on the box art.

It could easily be better.

Plus no chatpad support? I got a chatpad for next to nothing with an Xbox Live card. MS makes the chatpad. A chatpad would really rock Netflix especially in combination with some basic search of movie, actor, director.

Wii's netflix is much better. Wiimote lets very very quickly go to any point in your queue. It lets you instantly point and select any of the roughly 10 movie boxes shown on the screen at any one time.

Same thing applies to forwarding through a movie. MUch nicer to drag the cursor to where you want to play the movie from or rewind it to than to hold button or stick for x number of seconds/minutes/

We'll see how ATV's is.

It's going to be hard to top the Wii Netflix interface without a wiimote.

I'm sure it will top the 360's though. And every other Netflix device.

Wii can't do HD though and needs the disc in so would like to kill it off as a netflix device. (can't stream either.)

jeznav

macrumors 6502
Aug 10, 2007
Eh?
I have one major problem....NO Audio RCA port!

I have an HDTV I bought in 2003 and supports 1080i and 720p. It accepts Component. It also has a DVI port and HDCP capable and beside it is a typical L/R RCA for audio.

I have my PS3 connected to it using an HDMI to DVI cable. There is a separate audio connected using the PS3's A/V cable.

I don't have optical input.

One possibility I could do is buy an HDMI to Component+Audio cable.

My main question is, does all of iTunes movies HDCP protected?

munkees

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2005
Pacific Northwest
really does not offer anything over my current :apple:TV's other than netflix (no longer subscriber) and HD youtube (the one feature I want). I have 3 TVs, but the speaker I use are connected via analog on each one, I do not want to spend the money on upgrading, it will cost a lot more than $99, it will cost to replace speakers, and get an amp, or an AtoD converter.

shame, I don't think :apple: listened to the current users very much.

the hole 1080p issues not a problem, 1080P is to big to stream, if you want to get the blue ray quality, though I think :apple: should of added it, the hole industry has moved that way.

richardhunt

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2007
I have 2 :apple:tv's at home and I just bought another one on clearance as a backup. My kid uses it for his movies and having to have a computer on all the time to stream movies to the new one does not look appealing to me. The lack of storage is a deal breaker for me.

Verto

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2005
Denton, TX
I'm on the fence. I'm a huge Netflix fan, so that's a big reason I'd like one. I haven't used iTunes to purchase/rent TV shows or movies because of the high cost, but with the lower cost I might be tempted to rent an occasional TV show or movie.

If I rip DVDs to my Mac through Handbrake, would the movies have 5.1 surround if I streamed them through the AppleTV or would it just be stereo?

Cliff3

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2007
SF Bay Area
No. The only intriguing feature the new device adds is Netflix streaming. If I want that, I'd be more inclined to spend a bit more for a BD player that includes this feature to replace my existing DVD player, and to continue using my two Apple TVs to stream my iTunes library.

nwcs

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
I'm going to wait. I want to know if the video quality is better with the new one -- or allows better encoding preferences -- before I upgrade. The one I have now is plenty good. New one doesn't look to offer me anything I don't already have for now.

pdyebrasil

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2010
YES. Ordered it right after the media event. We currently have our iMac hooked up to our tv so we can access our movies and tv shows, but we have been looking at getting an Apple TV for about 6 months. Just hadn't gotten around to it, and it was a little on the $$$ side. I already re-encode or rip everything using handbrake, so it all works in iTunes.

Why I like the new one: Well we use Netflix, but don't have a box that supports it, and I still want to be able access our library on our iMac. The $99 price tag sold me instantly. We probably won't rent very often at all, but having those two main features, streaming from a computer and Netflix, I was convinced. Plus when airplay goes live it'll be sweet to stream to it from our iPhones.

That said though, I can see how someone who already has a 1st gen Apple TV wouldn't want a new one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.