Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
I love the new AirPlay feature that is upcoming with the new Apple TV and iOS devices. The only question is how far will this function go? I know it's clear that it will let you stream video and audio from devices right to the Apple TV.

Here is where it gets confusing, I was watching the event live, and I swear I heard Steve Jobs say something about streaming photos from iOS devices to the Apple TV by using AirPlay. Now that I take a look on the Apple TV site I see only "TV, Movies, and Music" mentioned when talking about AirPlay. I see no mention of photos anywhere.

Is it just my imagination or did anyone else get the idea that you might be able to "stream" photos to the AppleTV right from an iOS device? I know you can do it from a computer, but being able to share them directly from your iOS device seems like a feature that would really do well.

I guess nobody really is going to know the real truth until it comes out, but did anyone else hear this or was it just me?

Also let this thread be good for any other speculation surrounding AirPlay and how far it will go with it's abilities.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I saw something about viewing Mobile Me photos on it, maybe that's it. Don't know if they need to be in an online gallery or what.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Well at least I know I wasn't the only one. Found this quote from another poster in the "Official: The New Apple TV" thread.

+1 AirPlay. Immediately watch photos/movies from iPhone camera on TV.

alvse

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2008
Some people may be disappointed that the new Apple TV doesn't seem to be iOS based. But I was thinking of it like this.....

What if! Instead of having your app store and all you apps stored on the apple TV (which you can't anyways, cause it has no storage) you "stream" your apps to the Apple TV. Just like in the demo for "Up", when the iPad streamed the video and audio to the Apple TV, the iPad became the remote, the possibilities for this in games would be amazing. Your iOS device would become the remote/gamepad/keyboard, while you watch and listen to the action from the TV via the Apple TV and AirPlay! Tied in with game centre, you could even go multiplayer.

Maybe we will never see this, but I think it would be a very sweet feature. There are millions of iOS devices out there now right? Could this be a not yet revealed feature of iOS 4.2? Oh how I hope so.

Just my 2 cents.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Some people may be disappointed that the new Apple TV doesn't seem to be iOS based. But I was thinking of it like this.....

What if! Instead of having your app store and all you apps stored on the apple TV (which you can't anyways, cause it has no storage) you "stream" your apps to the Apple TV. Just like in the demo for "Up", when the iPad streamed the video and audio to the Apple TV, the iPad became the remote, the possibilities for this in games would be amazing. Your iOS device would become the remote/gamepad/keyboard, while you watch and listen to the action from the TV via the Apple TV and AirPlay! Tied in with game centre, you could even go multiplayer.

Maybe we will never see this, but I think it would be a very sweet feature. There are millions of iOS devices out there now right? Could this be a not yet revealed feature of iOS 4.2? Oh how I hope so.

Just my 2 cents.

I think if AirPlay becomes a really popular feature they will definitely look into this kind of thing. It probably won't be until iOS 5, and it would be more a thing for developers to implement into their apps rather than working with existing apps.

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 29, 2009
Okay now that the keynote is posted, I can confirm Steve Jobs definitely said you could stream photos from your iPhone right to the Apple TV.

Here is the quote from the video, about 1:06:53 in (it's at the very end):
You're going to be able to come home with a bunch of photos on your iPhone, push a button on your iPhone and see a slideshow on your Apple TV.

So there you have it, AirPlay will do Music, Video, and Photo Slideshows.

I can imagine if Apple opened it up to iOS developers, you could do almost anything as long as it kept within the guidelines of AirPlay.

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
My question is, will I be able to turn it off? Especially with the whole "sharing everything with computers on the same network" feature.

ipodtoucher

macrumors 68000
Sep 13, 2007
Cedar Park, TX
Okay now that the keynote is posted, I can confirm Steve Jobs definitely said you could stream photos from your iPhone right to the Apple TV.

Here is the quote from the video, about 1:06:53 in (it's at the very end):

So there you have it, AirPlay will do Music, Video, and Photo Slideshows.

I can imagine if Apple opened it up to iOS developers, you could do almost anything as long as it kept within the guidelines of AirPlay.

Yeah that would never happen haha the narrow path that apple leads to developers would cause a revolt. I agree that it would be a great thing to open up the appletv to developers.

It is cool though that I can essentially 'throw' my photos from my ipad to my apple tv, this would be a great thing in a studio situation. I could be showing a client their photos at a desk on an iPad and then move to a viewing room and 'throw' them onto the tv.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I would love to see the eventual implementation of AirPlay in third party apps. How cool would it be to listen to Pandora on your tv's speakers, or to watch a CNN video on your tv screen? Of course I'd much rather prefer built in apps for those things, but it would still be a neat feature to tide us over until we see an Apple TV app store.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
How cool would it be to listen to Pandora on your tv's speakers
You can do this already, check out airfoil, it lets you stream any audio from one program (or the whole sound card output) on a mac or pc to an airport express, apple tv, or their receiver program which runs on mac, window, linux, and iOS.

or to watch a CNN video on your tv screen?
that gets a bit trickier to keep things in sync, as there is buffering involved, and it's fairly easy to grab the entire sound output than to grab part of a browser window to stream.

I'm guessing they are actually sending the file and having the :apple:tv decode it instead of decoding on the ipad, and sending audio and video streams.

cadujr

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2008
missing the point

The topic is geting away of the original question.
Does airplay allow one to stream FROM a mac TO a ipad?
that's what i interested in don't really care about stream photos from iphone etc...

tdmac

macrumors 6502
Feb 9, 2008
Airplay will be HUGE.

What makes this different from the old way of Air sharing from iTunes or ATV and/or airports to stream the music around the home is that you won't be tied to just using Apple branded products. Thats right.....

Airplay is being incorporated into other brands of receivers, speakers, etc.

http://www.apple.com/itunes/airplay/

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
You can do this already, check out airfoil, it lets you stream any audio from one program (or the whole sound card output) on a mac or pc to an airport express, apple tv, or their receiver program which runs on mac, window, linux, and iOS.

that gets a bit trickier to keep things in sync, as there is buffering involved, and it's fairly easy to grab the entire sound output than to grab part of a browser window to stream.

I'm guessing they are actually sending the file and having the :apple:tv decode it instead of decoding on the ipad, and sending audio and video streams.

With Pandora, I meant, stream it from your iPhone/iPad to the Apple TV, no Mac required. I know you can stream it from your Mac to your AppleTV via Airfoil, but it'd be nice to be able to control it and read about artists right on your iPhone. I know Airfoil has some type of iPhone app, so I might be mistaken, but I don't *think* that capability is here right now...

As for the CNN thing, (or any app that streams video), I was thinking that the iPhone would throw the video feed to the TV screen, and that maybe play/pause controls or something else relevant would be displayed on the iPhone. I dunno, it'll be interesting to see what happens if AirPlay is allowed in third-party apps. If that's the case, then it'd be redundant to even have native Apple TV apps. (There's a really interesting discussion going on about this in another thread in this forum). It's already being integrated in third-party devices, so...maybe. But I definitely agree, AirPlay is going to end up being bigger than most people think right now.

jonasen

macrumors member
Sep 1, 2010
The topic is geting away of the original question.
Does airplay allow one to stream FROM a mac TO a ipad?
that's what i interested in don't really care about stream photos from iphone etc...

I agree, this would be the really useful thing, playing a movie on your MacBook and watch it on the big screen.

Anyone know if this will be possible? I tried iTunes 10 and playing a movie from iTunes won't stream the sound for a movie but it does work with music. Reason for that inconsistency?

Thanks!

iMerlin

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008

Ive been using Airfoil for a while. It makes up for what AirTunes was missing... the ability to stream to another computer. AirTunes worked well for streaming to speakers connected to an Airport Express set up with AirTunes enabled. But lets say you wanted another computer playing that music, like a MacMini connected to your home theater... AirTunes doesnt allow that.
I wonder if AirPlay will.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.