Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

surfkw

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2004
My TV has a DVI input but no HDMI. Will I be able to use a HDMI-DVI dongle on the new atv without issue?
Thanks!

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
yes, they're pretty much the same signal, just different connectors, HDMI adds audio.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
You'd still need to route the audio...

...and there's be no way to play copy-protected content (HDCP) such as iTunes rentals or purchases.

surfkw

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2004
thanks

You'd still need to route the audio...

...and there's be no way to play copy-protected content (HDCP) such as iTunes rentals or purchases.

Thanks everyone! Hmmm, the inability to play protected content on a device meant almost solely for renting said content is something I'll need to think about before making a purchase. Thanks for the heads-up.

If my TV has no optical in for audio can I route it in through component? Not sure I know what I am talking about so here is a picture of my TV inputs.
img0001ir.jpg

surfkw

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2004
audio

So I can hook up the atv to my tv with a HDMI>DVI cable for picture which works fine for me. For the audio I'll have to use the optical out (TOSLink, right?), is there a cable that goes from optical to analog right and left (red and white)? I can't seem to find one online... I don't have a separate speaker system, just want to use the inputs on my tv.

thanks

JLB-UK

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2009
UK
So I can hook up the atv to my tv with a HDMI>DVI cable for picture which works fine for me. For the audio I'll have to use the optical out (TOSLink, right?), is there a cable that goes from optical to analog right and left (red and white)? I can't seem to find one online... I don't have a separate speaker system, just want to use the inputs on my tv.

thanks

you would need a converter such as one like this

http://www.lindy.co.uk/spdif-digital-to-analogue-stereo-audio-converter/70408.html

use hdmi converter to DVI
use optical converter to analogue DVI in

Should work, but no promises!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.