Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inflames2361

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
i have this problem with itunes where my itunes thinks that my ipod has less memory than it does. it always thinks it has 4 gb when it has 32 gb. (Attached, i have a screencapture i took of the popup that appears when i try syncing)

i also receive errors when it acknowledges it has a 32 gb capacity. it says it has an internal device error and makes me set it up as a new ipod. and i can't restore from a backup because it seems that they always get corrupted.

i have tried deleting the ipod photo cache. To get it to finally work i have to sync my music, videos, apps, and podcasts one at a time. this is an issue because it takes at least 4 hours (i have over 2000 songs and 100 videos) and it also deletes all the data from my apps, like highscores.

i am very nervous about syncing it again, because i don't want to lose everything, but i have gotten new music and videos since my last sync and want them on my ipod. i have tried syncing my old ipod nano 8gb and it syncs fine.

i am running itunes 9.1 i believe but i recently downloaded the installer for itunes 10, but haven't installed it yet. my ipod isn't jailbroken. is there anybody else with the same problem or a fix for it?

Attachments

• itunes trouble.JPG
    itunes trouble.JPG
    142.5 KB · Views: 126

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
I would recommend calling it in and arranging for hardware service. You can also bring it to an Apple retail location, with Genius Bar appointment, of course, and see if they can swap it out. Check your coverage with this link.

inflames2361

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
my warranty is up and i am only 14 and don't have a job, so i can't pay for any repairs.

also when i run diagnostics in itunes it doesn't find anything. is there a way that i can find out whats going on?

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
My guess would be that the flash memory is damaged somehow. I think there is still a 10% recycling credit Apple offers for turning in old iPods, that is, you get 10% off the price of a new iPod...This is only valid at an Apple retail location, resellers do not honor this arrangement.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.